KUIK 1360 Hillsboro sold

Tagged: 

This topic contains 38 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  stevewa 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author

cbaravelli
    Spectator

Silence at 1804 Saturday. No FCC STA filing. Dolphin Radio retains ownership. Source says KUIK-AM on air 1 April but won’t say who buyers may be.
    https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMy4j4YQXISEMHAZVfdzm6IsWflHzS8_m63ibS2xGlXaxdM5t5euic0OKnGlmJmQw?key=aVVhZThxWUlnaDBLY3k2d3hKNTdCTHlWVFo1ZlV3
    This is why PDX radio can’t have nice things.

• This reply was modified 11 months, 4 weeks ago by  cbaravelli.

vrooms
    Participant

With KUIK Off, KKMO Tacoma with Spanish is the top station here in Kalama during daylight hours. To the East KOHU Hermiston can be heard underneath KKMO with Country music.

W7PAT
    Participant

Vietnamese for the west side.

cbaravelli
    Spectator

Could be.
    Dolphin KUIK-AM new TX application has not been granted yet. Someone else’s headache.

kb101engineer
    Participant

John White, KKPZ CE says KUIK has lost it’s transmitter site and it unlikely to return to the air.
    https://crawfordbroadcasting.com/Local_Oscillator/May%202018%20Local%20Oscillator.pdf

Alfredo_T
    Participant

There is road construction activity near the KUIK transmitter site. Is this how the site was lost?

jr_tech
    Participant

Big changes coming to the area… surprised that this chunk of largly undeveloped land lasted as long as it did.

http://www.hillsboro-oregon.gov/home/showdocument?id=1690

chessyduck
    Participant

I dived into the digitized FCC card file for KUIK and saw some attempts back in the 60s-70s to put a directional array northwest of Hillsboro.

One historical note – I know the original studios were downtown near the old Economy Drug Store on 2nd as KRTV. Before the old 1kw ND Jackson Bottom site did KRTV have an antenna located elsewhere, e.g. was Jackson Bottom a “KUIK” thing… I can’t tell from the card file as perhaps the addressing scheme was all that changed.

BTW, I do monitor the AM spectrum via an SDR remote radio located in Newport … very nice reception on the medium-waves.. Many Valley and Puget Sound stations can be heard. See SDR.HU for maps of these remote receivers….

chessyduck
    Participant

Oh yes, if I recall the property the directional array sat on was leased from the Sisters of Saint Mary, who had substantial holdings on the valley floor in earlier times…buy early .. buy often…

chessyduck
    Participant

One trend I have observed with rising real estate prices some stations will drop a tower or two and shift to a lower-powered non-directional pattern with the FCC’s blessing.

Too bad KUIK was not given that option.. They could have a been a nice 2500-watt daytimer with a few hundred watts at night ND-mode. Now Washington County is left with nothing except some LPFMers.

Bring back KFGR/KRWC/KGGG….!!

semoochie
    Participant

I believe they’re directional nights with 5KW during the daytime. I don’t see any reason why they couldn’t still be 5 daytime, if they can find a spot.

stevewa
    Participant

KUIK was 5KW ND day, 5KW directional night.

The directional pattern was not great, and 5KW at 1360 doesn’t go as far as it does at the low end of the band.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by  stevewa.

semoochie
    Participant

It still covered the west side pretty well and that’s about all they could expect.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

The satellite dishes and the STL dish are still in place at the Hillsboro Airport terminal building. The towers are still up just south of TV Highway. What’s happening?

cbaravelli
    Spectator

Give the keys back to the Airport Authority and just walk away. At least Don and crew did go dark with class.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.