KSLC-McMinnville analog is now All Classical Portland

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio KSLC-McMinnville analog is now All Classical Portland

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    QPatrickEdwards
    Participant

As of 02 April, 90.3 KSLC, McMinnville’s analog channel is now a full time member of the All Classical Portland network, here is the press release:

“All Classical Portland is excited to announce the integration of KSLC 90.3FM into its radio network in partnership with Linfield College. This means expanded listening access for over 100,000 residents in McMinnville and surrounding communities!

Beginning 7am (PT) on April 2, 2020, KSLC 90.3FM listeners can hear All Classical Portland! The International Children’s Arts Network (ICAN) is also available to residents of Oregon’s Wine Country through All Classical Portland’s HD2 channel, offering safe, non-commercial, entertaining and educational programs designed for children ages 0-12.”

I’m not sure how kosher it is to issue press releases with exclamation marks included…but I present it here in its unedited form.

lastday
    Participant

Right now in Eugene on 90.3 I’m getting a station that IDs as KHRI in Hollister CA. Haven’t done a deep dive to figure out what or where it really is.

Chico
    Participant

You are hearing the 44 watt flamethrower local translator of the Air1 satcaster network. Parent station is KHRI in Hollister.

QPatrickEdwards
    Participant

The K-Love/Air1 people have quite a few stations/translators on 90.3 through Western Oregon, most of them shoehorned in with each other.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

There seems to be a slow attrition in the number of student-run over-the-air radio stations. From memory:

• KTRU Houston: After a number of internal conflicts between the university’s board of trustees and student DJs over programming, the university had the transmitter turned off, and the license was transferred to another university that used the frequency to broadcast classical music. The license later went to a religious group.
    • WRUR Rochester: In 2004, the University of Rochester’s administration stepped in over concerns that the station might be airing indecent material. The first step was a policy requiring all programs to be pre-recorded and reviewed prior to airing. Eventually, the station entered into a partnership with WXXI media, resulting in much of the program schedule being filled with public radio programs and programs produced by non-student community members.
    • KRRC Portland: The station signed off the air in 2011, and the license was transferred to Common Frequency. According to the station manager who took over in that era, the station was a “depressing” place, with chicken bones and other garbage tossed about the music library.
    • WDUB Granville, OH: Station management noticed that there were about six years’ worth of missing documentation from the station’s public inspection file. Fearing FCC fines, they filed an STA to take WDUB silent “for financial reasons” at the beginning of the 2019-2020 school year. WDUB management worked with their university’s administration to transfer the license to WOSU Public Media.
    • KSLC–mentioned above
    semoochie
    Participant

This is oddly worded about an “analog channel”. If they run in HD, the main digital channel is required to simulcast the analog part. Why even bring it up?

jr_tech
    Participant

Perhaps because it represents a distinct change… for several years KQAC has been transmitted on the stations HD-2 channel, now for the first time it can be received by a standard analog FM radio.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

QPatrickEdwards provided all the pertinent information by posting the official press release. The classical music programming formerly carried on KSLC-HD2 moved to KSLC-HD1 and the analog simulcast. The children’s programming was placed on the HD2 channel.

I am left wondering, why did the student-originated programming go away? Was this a temporary change related to the coronavirus? Might the student programming return to the air on the HD2 or possibly a new HD3 subchannel?

EDIT: Update–I looked at the KSLC staff page, and it is woefully out of date. Take a look at the “expected graduation year” for most of the students. I have a hunch that this place has been falling apart for quite some time:

https://www.linfield.edu/kslcfm/staff.html

Andy Brown
    Participant

Lack of student interest would be my guess, and I doubt the current health crisis had anything to do with it because of the amount of time it takes for the LMA to be drafted and agreed to. This scenario is playing out at many college and university stations.

semoochie
    Participant

“Perhaps because it represents a distinct change… for several years KQAC has been transmitted on the stations HD-2 channel, now for the first time it can be received by a standard analog FM radio.” I see. I didn’t realize that it was on their HD2 or if I did, had forgotten it. Thanks Jr!

yahmit
    Participant

KRBM at Blue Mountain CC in Pendleton was taken over by OPB in 1989 due to declining enrollment in the broadcasting program. Didn’t Mt. Hood also suspend their program recently and KMHD was taken over by OPB?

semoochie
    Participant

There was some thought about it but the MHCC board voted to keep going. It involved several other programs. OPB continues to LMA KMHD.

chessyduck
    Participant

The “LMA” and final donation agreements are now posted to the FCC’s website. You can readily find the paperwork through the much friendlier FCCDATA.ORG website. The students don’t get much, just some vague lines about potential internships…

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/cdbsmenu.hts?context=25&appn=101816215&formid=314&fac_num=37731

http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/prefill_and_display.pl?Application_id=1816215&Service=FM&Form_id=314&Facility_id=37731

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.