KSFL-LP Update

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Andy Brown
    Participant

It appears KSFL-LP (Portland Radio Project) has begun regular broadcasting on 99.1 MHz. I live in Sellwood, outside their 60 dBu contour, but in the car even with the diversity antenna 90º out (broad face to Mt. Scott) the signal came in very strong. Audio quality/processing was excellent.

Inside on my HK 380i, with the dipole bent into an L with the vertical on a 45º(because it normally sits broad face to Mt. Scott), the signal was noisy but listenable (two bars out of four).

Heard a mix of music including a guest artist/interview with quite a bit of country and a tune beat to death by KINK over the years (could have done without that).

All in all, great reception around Sellwood (I went to the Farmer’s Market and the QFC and back). Louder and clearer than KISN. Better than 107.1 in audio quality, about the same loudness.

I am about the same distance from Benson Tech as I am from Mt. Scott. I think the lower elevation of the antenna at Benson will serve KSFL well. I think the best part of KISN’s signal at this distance is up in the air too high. All that Mt. Scott elevation may be hurting them a little at this distance.

jr_tech
    Participant

Thanks for the heads up! Fairly decent in Hillsboro on the 9 element log-Yagi/Sony XDR-F1HD combo. Barely 1 bar on the Sony (19dBf). Can hear on portable (Eton E-5) in some rooms. Music pretty interesting as well…

jr_tech
    Participant

At 8:35 it just dropped out… what happened?

add: back on at about 8:45.
    and off again at 9:07.

fieldstrength
    Participant

Their Facebook page says they are signing on Friday. Tonight’s broadcast may have just been a test. I think the test we heard several weeks ago was with a borrowed transmitter, so they would have had to test their permanent transmitter before an official publicized sign on.

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

Many of the volunteer staff have been cutting legal IDs, including yours truly. Our production wizard has been preparing them for playback starting this Friday.

semoochie
    Participant

Isn’t this the one that’s on in the morning so the test was on the other station’s time?

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I’ll be listening for the official sign-on. I recall that I was able to hear 99.1 faintly during their earlier testing, from my location near downtown Hillsboro. KBPS sounded like a blowtorch, by comparison.

jr_tech
    Participant

Very Nice!
    If the timeshare station is not ready to transmit yet, are they still FCC bound to the 3:00 PM shut off?

Andy Brown
    Participant

From their Construction Permit:

This is a time-shared facility authorized to operate only during the following times (local times):
    3:00 am until 3:00 pm (7 days a week)
    This facility is time-shared with facility id: 195542, Portland, OR

http://licensing.fcc.gov/prod/cdbs/pubacc/Auth_Files/1630856.pdf

Valerie ring
    Participant

I invite everyone to listen to 99.1 FM. She’s coming in clear as a bell in South Tabor and so refreshing, No Commercials. Music Director Inessa is one of a kind. Give us a listen.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I heard KSFL-LP from Southwest Portland on Monday afternoon. The transmitter appears to be controlled by a timer because the carrier dropped promptly at 3:00 PM while music was playing (with no station ID or signoff announcement heard.

From my home in Hillsboro, reception is a no-go. I can null out KODZ. When I do so, I can hear a very weak signal, but it is almost unintelligible. I cannot tell if it is KSFL-LP or interference from other stations.

warner
    Participant

Just to give the SW suburban perspective, 99.1 very weak in Tualatin on car radio. In fact I can’t really tell if it’s PRP or not. Conversely, KISN 95.1 comes in pretty strong, although as has been stated, processing is pretty bad, all highs. And XRAY 107.1 pretty strong as well, but varies as I drive south and east.

Andy Brown
    Participant

On Saturday I was able to listen to 99.1 from Sellwood and over the Bybee viaduct, along Crystal Springs Blvd as it winds along the back (south 9) of Eastmoreland Golf course, all the way up to SE 45th, south to SE Johnson Creek Blvd and all the way out to Fred Meyer at SE 82nd. No noise hits or fading. Well outside the 60 dBu contour.

IMO the music was way too slow in tempo (barely peaking at adagio) and mellow in mood. Great for 3 in the morning, not 2:45 in the afternoon if you’re trying to gain listeners.

warner
    Participant

I don’t know if many of you have listened to PRP online since they started, but the music is generally low key, mellower, mostly folkie-pop. Lots of local artists, mostly acoustic based. Some of the DJ’s are musicians as well. Our own Dan Packard appears some mornings. So don’t expect KNRK or Z100. It’s more “mature” than that, I’d say. Whatever “mature” means…

semoochie
    Participant

The other day, I heard hip-hop.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.