KQSO-LP Newberg Now Simulcasts 750 The Game

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio KQSO-LP Newberg Now Simulcasts 750 The Game

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    jr_tech
    Participant

“I understand the 105.5 LP group and the move to Mt Scott, but where does 102.9 come into the conversation?”

The confusion arises because KQSO-LP operated by Special Temporary Authority on 102.9. As far as I can remember, they never used the 96.3 frequency.

http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/pubacc/prod/app_det.pl?Application_id=1292568

Andy Brown
    Participant

My best guess is that once they move to their new 1.8 watt facility on Mt. Scott, that license will not be re-assigned because there is no usable channel anymore. 96.3 is out for obvious reasons (KWLZ) and 102.7 is being used under STA that has an expiration date. The FCC may extend STA’s up to 180 days, but the only way to make it a permanent change (which would be a major change since it is more than 3 channels away from the assigned channel) requires a new window for applications for new LPFM’s and major changes of existing LPFMs. That of course would be beyond the 180 day extension.

So IMO this would require lots of money for lawyers to find a route to permanent status on 102.7 with no guarantee and seems beyond the budget of the average LPFM eeking non profit. More than likely the channel will go dark and be reassigned in the next translator window, probably to an AM owner, hopefully one that has no FM licenses in their garage. The area where 102.7 could be used for secondary service appears to be fairly large, that is wrt the Portland metro. Here’s the landscape within 65 km of Stonehenge:

http://tinyurl.com/qyuw6nw

Note to prognosticators: No, this doesn’t mean anything more than a secondary service Class D translator or LPFM on 102.7 would fit, so the answer to the barrage of questions and what if scenarios you haven’t asked yet but normally do is NO.

bossjock
    Participant

“More than likely the channel will go dark and be reassigned in the next translator window, probably to an AM owner, hopefully one that has no FM licenses in their garage. The area where 102.7 could be used for secondary service appears to be fairly large, that is wrt the Portland metro…”

KLYC, if so inclined?

Andy Brown
    Participant

Yes. That would work. First adjacent LPFM in Silverton but well over the minimum separation.

Boss_Radio_1550
    Participant

Then, all we need is KYTE applying to move from the coast again which would throw this all in turmoil again ..likely… ?

W7PAT
    Participant

never mind, I answered my own question.

semoochie
    Participant

“Then, all we need is KYTE applying to move from the coast again which would throw this all in turmoil again ..likely… ?” KYTE has another construction permit to do just that.

Boss_Radio_1550
    Participant

Thanks Semoochie, I didn’t know that. Haven’t been paying too much attention to that one. With that fact, I would think no one in their right mind would want to file for another Fx in the area on 102.7

Andy Brown
    Participant

I forgot they had their expired permit reinstated. Keep in mind that they are proposing an 8 bay antenna with almost full wavelength spacing. That’s 20 meters of antenna on a 40 meter stick. They’ve done that so they can get lots of ERP through gain because otherwise they would have a major ground radiation problem. The back edge of that sword as I’m sure has been pointed out to them is the tendency to have a lot of multi path with all those elements and being close to the ground. It was environmental factors that caused them all the problems previously. The elevation doesn’t fall off all that fast, either. I’ll bet their fresnel zone is getting dinged big time. It will be interesting to see what kind of actual reception they get towards McM and PDX at N 40º, especially since the elevations due north increase, not decrease, so the signal could further have reflections off the side of that ridge. http://goo.gl/maps/CPxQN I wonder what a Longley Rice for their proposal looks like. Anyway, with Brownsville booming 100kW at 102.3 only 59 miles to the east, mid valley reception of the new LPFM in Silverton on 102.5 beyond it’s 60 dBu will be gamey. 102.7 would still fit on a Class D service in SW Portland, but its success is questionable. KYTE’s proposed 60 dBu makes it to Sherwood and Wilsonville, but it remains as to how good it really gets up there. Fact is, there aren’t any choices left that look all that great after the LPFM’s are built out anywhere close to Portland.

Broadway
    Participant

>>new LPFM in Silverton on 102.5
    How in the world did they get a CP? Check articles of Corp papers…just days before the app!!! Wasn’t all app’s suppose to be 3 years and running?
    https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS_Attachment/getattachment.jsp?appn=101590905&qnum=5010&copynum=1&exhcnum=2

Waynes World
    Participant

will they have smooth jazz again? thats not on HD2 anymore

semoochie
    Participant

What’s this about a 102.7 LPFM in SW? Wouldn’t they have to bump 102.9 and would it be worth it with KYTE blaring down on them, albeit at less than 60dbu?

semoochie
    Participant

“will they have smooth jazz again? thats not on HD2 anymore” It’s highly unlikely that anyone will risk a full signal Smooth Jazz station. The demographics are too old and getting older as we speak.

Andy Brown
    Participant

How in the world did they get a CP? Check articles of Corp papers…just days before the app!!! Wasn’t all app’s suppose to be 3 years and running?

No. Don’t know where you read that.

See §73.853 Licensing requirements and service.

http://tinyurl.com/ma2pxp2

Perhaps you are referring to how MX situations are resolved.

(b) Each mutually exclusive application will be awarded one point for each of the following criteria, based on certifications that the qualifying conditions are met and submission of any required documentation:

(1) Established community presence. An applicant must, for a period of at least two years prior to application and at all times thereafter, have qualified as local pursuant to §73.853(b). Applicants claiming a point for this criterion must submit any documentation specified in FCC Form 318 at the time of filing their applications.

See §73.872 Selection procedure for mutually exclusive LPFM applications.

http://tinyurl.com/nzl4c62

If there is no mx and you are the only applicant, it is not a requirement. It’s just a means of winning when you have competition.

jr_tech
    Participant

So, what is the problem with the Silverton 102.5 CP?

http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/pubacc/prod/app_det.pl?Application_id=1590905

” APPLICATION GRANT RESCINDED ” does not sound very promising to me.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.