KQAC's New Program Director is Suzanne Nance

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio KQAC's New Program Director is Suzanne Nance

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

Report: Suzanne Nance Exits WFMT/Chicago, Joins KQAC/Portland

WINDOW TO THE WORLD Classical WFMT/CHICAGO afternoon host SUZANNE NANCE has exited the station to join ALL CLASSICAL PUBLIC MEDIA Classical KQAC (ALL CLASSICAL PORTLAND)/PORTLAND, OR as PD and host, reports ROBERTFEDER.COM.

NANCE joined WFMT in 2013 from MAINE PUBLIC RADIO.

mwdxer1
    Participant

KQAC has a nice relay in Lincoln County on 88.1 that I get in HD most of the time up here near Astoria. The main station in Portland over the Coast Range does not come in as well. But KQAC does have a nice format.

kb101engineer
    Participant

Very nice feature on KQAC in Radio World. I really like seeing their equipment list. Plus look at that control room!

http://www.radioworld.com/article/all-classical-portland-studio-with-a-view/278070

msndrspdx
    Participant

On the opening day of the MaX Orange Line and the Tillicum Crissing in Seotember if last year, KQAC bad an open house, and I got to tour the amazing facilities there. The equipment that feeds to the transmitter is visible thru a window in the bullpen area of their 3rd floor home. Studio 1, seen in the picture with the above article (great piece, by the way), does indeed have a great view of the bridge and the river. Many compared it favorably with KISN’s old Burnside Street window. When TriMet posted a link to the Tili-Cam on their Facebook page, I mentioned this, saying that it’s gotta be the best radio gig in town. Their AM drive host posted a reply to that: “Yes, it IS the best radio gig in town!”

I now have the Tili-Cam page saved on my iPad, and I look at it regularly. It’s even more spectacular at night with the nighttime lighting. I see people taking walks across the bridge at night, something not seen before – really nice to see!

Andy Brown
    Participant

“equipment list”

Big big bucks. Major big.

fatb0y2011
    Participant

Your tax dollars at work.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Does KQAC have live airstaff 24/7, or do they voicetrack some of the shifts?

It seems a bit sad to me–pardon the rough, informal observation–that in the world of radio today, radio with people either means that most or all of the labor is free (KBOO, KXRY, and KMHD). Radio with high-end professional people AND state-of-the-art facilities by necessity means subsidized professional non-commercial radio (OPB and KQAC).

Before coming off as being overly negative, I do want to acknowledge that there are some commercial broadcasters, such as KUIK and KPAM, that do make a good faith effort at serving their communities with the resources available to them.

jr_tech
    Participant

So why is WFMT loosing hosts to Oregon stations? They have not only lost Suzanne Nance to KQAC but also Peter Van De Graaf (to KWAX). He is the host of the popular satellite overnight program “Through the Night” carried by a number of Classical Stations, including KQAC, before it was able to produce its own unique overnight programming.

http://eugenearttalk.com/2015/12/radio-star-peter-van-de-graaff-headed-to-eugene-to-take-job-at-kwax/”

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.