KPWI LPFM 91.1 Salem

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Radio Ruminator
    Participant

According to Radio-Locator.com, there is a station with the call letters KPWI broadcasting in Salem at 91.1 at 3 watts.

Is KPWI on the air? I live in Salem and Hear KWAX in Eugene.

https://radio-locator.com/info/KPWI-FL

https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/patg?id=KPWI-FL

Broadway
    Participant

Nothing on earlier this afternoon…that will be 3 new FM’s in the Valley in a month if they get on.

Radio Ruminator
    Participant

KPWI’s signal doesn’t really cover Salem. I think there would be too much interference from KWAX for KPWI to be heard in Salem.

Broadway
    Participant

Could not KPWI co-locate with KSXM’s site for better Salem coverage?

Andy Brown
    Participant

91.1 can’t move south. KWAX co channel 69 miles distance required.

Broadway
    Participant

No KPWI as of this morning…strong KWAX still…in Salem

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

OREGON PEACEWORKS (KPWI-LP/SALEM, OR, unable to be heard in populated area of SALEM and planning to apply for a permit to move to a “more viable” location).

Broadway
    Participant

>>KWAX co channel 69 miles distance required.
    Antenna would have to be in Keizer—north…

Andy Brown
    Participant

Actually, they have filed to be silent. They can only move 6 km. That puts them short of Keizer or Salem proper. They knew going in that they weren’t going to reach Salem from as far away as they are. They need to be careful because of the terrain. Some of the areas to the SE of their site are blocked by higher hills and if they move there they still won’t get into much of Salem. They would be better off moving where they have line of sight to where they want to cover, either SSE or ESE, the former better for covering Salem the latter for covering Keizer. On a short tower, higher terrain nearby will kill coverage.

Broadway
    Participant
    Andy Brown
    Participant

That move would be way too far, 8.77 km. Also, even if they could move that far, it is far from ideal because:

1. The hill on top of which the City Of Salem Emergency Communications Tower (Crestview Dr. S. & Downs St. S.) sits would throw a huge shadow into much of Salem since it is higher by about 200 feet in elevation (minus the HAG of your proposed antenna on the water tower.

2. Metal water towers make horrible antenna sites for a multitude of reasons. I always recommend against that choice.

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

Hmmm, that doesn’t seem very far from the KWAX translator licensed to Turner. (Can’t get FCC maps to show.) Isn’t there a rule about not interfering with the input of an existing translator?

cbaravelli
    Spectator

“2. Metal water towers make horrible antenna sites for a multitude of reasons. I always recommend against that choice.”
    Um … water towers are excellent “towers”. We do all the time in cellular. Main problem is the city or water district. Just be sure to use a mast.

KWPI-LP is silent since Saturday. Good ears.
    Coverage Map:
    https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS_Attachment/getattachment.jsp?appn=101790931&qnum=5000&copynum=1&exhcnum=2
    Appears more aggressive than not.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

In another thread, Andy stated that water towers are suitable for mounting UHF antennas, but he does not recommend their use for VHF installations. His explanation is that at VHF, the metal supporting structure has to be hot dipped to avoid intermodulation issues (presumably from metal-metal joints that become rectifying when they corrode).

I wonder, are there many six and two meter amateur repeaters on water towers, or have hams discovered intermodulation problems the hard way?

cbaravelli
    Spectator

???
    I’ll wait for Mister Brown to comment.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.