KPQR "Wild Planet Radio" Now On The Air

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio KPQR "Wild Planet Radio" Now On The Air

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Alfredo_T
    Participant

I noted this evening that KPQR has signed on, in time for the gay pride festival this weekend. They are playing automated dance music. I also noted that the station that was broadcasting in the 4:00 PM hour was identifying as “Portland Radio Project, KSFL-LP.” Did the hours of the share-time agreement change?

semoochie
    Participant

I tuned in around five and heard nothing.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I heard the KPQR-LP dance music around 9:00 PM on Friday. Somebody else on this board heard a KPQR-LP test broadcast earlier this week. I think that it is possible at this stage that somebody is still manually turning the KPQR-LP transmitter on and off.

EDIT ADD: You tuned in at 5:00 AM. You should have heard KSFL-LP, which I thought was using a timer to control its transmitter. I am now really confused.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Confused about what? Who is on the air at what time? Semoochie tuned in at 5 but he didn’t say AM or PM or what day. They are both on the air but neither have yet filed for their license to cover their construction permit so they are both operating under equipment test authority or program test authority (KSFL still has to file their write up about the KBPS AM antenna check as per their C.P.)

Under those authorities, you can turn on and off at will (within your designated time share window).

semoochie
    Participant

I didn’t notice the difference in call letters and thought Alfredo was saying that the same station he heard at 10PM was also on at 4PM. Under the circumstances, I didn’t feel it necessary to say “5PM”. I’m the one who mentioned the previous test.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I neglected to look at the timestamp on your post, and I incorrectly assumed that you tuned in at 5AM.

When I tuned in at 4PM, I heard a KSFL-LP ID, and the RDS text said, “PRP.FM” I found this odd because I thought that KSFL-LP was required to sign off at 3PM. When I tuned in Friday night, I hard an a KPQR-LP ID, and the RDS text said, “WILD PLANET RADIO”

semoochie
    Participant

Actual announcement heard on this station: “This is KPQR, Portland’s Queer Radio”. I’m sure there are any number of people rolling in their graves. 🙁

missing_kskd
    Participant

Well, there are different sorts of people rolling in graves over some other programming the industry has pumped out for years too. The mound of sound comes to mind really easy, and he’s not the only source.

Arguably ugly. Embarrassing, depending on one’s point of view.

Given the current social trends demonstrated by up and coming generations, as well as the overall culture present in Portland, “queer radio” isn’t a big deal. It might just be a sign of relevance over the next decade or so.

For those who love the medium, seeking that relevance should matter a whole lot more than clinging to the past.

Doesn’t have to be our cup of tea, just as say a Spanish or other Ethnic broadcast might not be either. Plenty of room on the dial to serve the plenty of people in the region as far as I’m concerned.

radiogeek
    Participant

I’m also curious how such a narrow demographic can make it. KBOO has had queer programming on the dial for a very long time, and recently they have been looking for new hosts, new show ideas. I wonder if some of the old hosts have jumped ship, or if there simply wasn’t the demand for queer programming on KBOO?

To program 12 hours a day every day the new station won’t be so much “queer programming” as music programming by “queer people”? Since music is music and no doubt queer people have programmed music before, does this new service really matter? I’ll be curious to see what they come up with that is original and compelling. As a comparison, the feminist Bitch Media Popaganda podcast (produced every other week and about a half hour) which is very well produced keeps my attention about half the time I hear it, which isn’t bad at all.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

What I heard the first few times that I tuned in to KPQR-LP reminded me a bit of K-GAY-BC 96.7, a pirate station that was active about 10 years ago. The latter was a dance music station. However, when I tuned in later, I heard other styles of music and a DJ. What makes the station interesting is to hear the programmers’ interpretation of what constitutes “gay music.”

P.S.: Pyotr Tchaikovsky, John Cage, and Cole Porter all produced “gay music.” I doubt that one would hear any of them played on KPQR-LP. However, a few of the composers on this list might be heard: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:LGBT_composers

missing_kskd
    Participant

They have a number of podcasts linked on their page. Perhaps they’ve got enough content to fill a day reasonably, and are depending on those show audiences to help carry things along.

Valid question, though I’m not sure what size “small” really is. The core people, who really are queer, are a small part of Portland. That’s true, but their impact might not be. It’s all about who they are relevant to.

Re: Gay music

There is music that speaks directly to gay people and their experiences, and there is music that gay people like. The latter overlaps considerably with everyone else and their possible preferences.

semoochie
    Participant

I was referring to gay and lesbians rolling in their graves from the reference.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I find it ironic that the gay community prefers to use slang names that were once considered insults (“gay” and “queer”). This might just be a sign of the times, as this change was largely brought about in the 1990s by Gen-Xers, and Generation X seems to have a penchant for irony. A second explanation that I have heard for this phenomenon is that the clinical word “homosexual” was being heavily used by homophobes to lend an air of scientific authority to their views, and pro-gay activists wanted to distance themselves from that word as an indirect way of discrediting those types of views.

jr_tech
    Participant

I was also surprised by the “KPQR” call letters, so I checked.
    “Beginning in the late-1980s, the label queer began to be reclaimed from its pejorative use as a neutral or positive self-identifier by LGBT people. An early example of this usage by the LGBT community was by an organisation called Queer Nation, which was formed in March 1990 and circulated an anonymous flier at the New York Gay Pride Parade in June 1990 titled “Queers Read This”. The flier included a passage explaining their adoption of the label queer”

missing_kskd
    Participant

I was referring to gay and lesbians rolling in their graves from the reference.

Crap! I totally botched that. Of course! Makes perfect sense. Sorry for any implications.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.