KPAM's Margie Boule shares her true feelings on Facebook

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio KPAM's Margie Boule shares her true feelings on Facebook

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Andy Brown
    Participant

Unbelievable post on her Facebook account, made today and then removed some hours later:

“I hope I don’t lose any friends over this. Feel free to set me straight if you think I’m wrong to be upset. Dave and I just got home from a one-day trip to the Bay Area for a family celebration. Our early-morning return flight from San Jose to PDX on Alaska airlines this morning was awful for me. Dave sat by the window — he gazes out nearly the entire flight, while I rarely glance out, so a window seat would be wasted on me — which put me in the middle seat. To my left, on the aisle, was a woman who was … What’s the kind word, the acceptable word…heavy? Overweight? No, this woman was obese. And her body squeezed over the armrest, well beyond the armrest, well into my seating area. Which meant that there was no way I could sit and not be plastered against her body, pushed into a steep lean toward Dave. Well I’m sorry, but I didn’t pay a lot of money for a plane ticket to spend an hour and a half feeling the heat and pressure of a stranger’s fleshy body. I really, really don’t like being forced to touch a body for a prolonged period of time, against my wishes. I had to twist and lean into Dave, an awkward and uncomfortable position, for 90 minutes — not to avoid her touch, which would have been impossible, but just to travel. She didn’t appear to be leaning away from me…just silently claiming my territory as hers. Once or twice I tried to sit up straight, but it was impossible, and she never adjusted in response to my effort.
    I thought about asking her to not infringe on my space, but what could she do? Instantly lose weight? I knew it would be useless.
    Quite honestly, while I feel compassion for what may be a health problem, I also was angry at her and her silent, stolid invasion of my territory. I have a back problem she exacerbated. I wasn’t causing her discomfort…she was causing me pain. Some may blame the airline. But until people lobby or protest or sue to get airlines to provide bigger seats, it’s people like me who suffer for other people’s weight problems, and that’s not right. It was a full flight or I would have been happy to sit elsewhere, or ask that she be moved to bother someone else.
    I blame her. She knows exactly what she weighs, and how much space she takes. She should buy three seats and sit in the middle. That’s the consequence of her choice to overeat, if that is the cause of her weight issue. (As a parent, I’m big on consequences.) She should not make other people pay for her choices, or illness, or addiction, or whatever caused her physical condition. I have great empathy for my friends who have endured Herculean struggles with weight issues. But I can’t believe they would put someone else through this.
    Okay. Enough. I’m going to take some Tylenol and memorize some lines. Thanks for listening.
    (By the way, I am not as tiny as the woman in the illustration. I’m normal-sized. And I do not invade others’ space.)”

I am not shocked she feels this way, having worked at KATU when she was a host on the AM show with the late Jim Bosley. This attitude fits her reputation around the station at that time. I am shocked she would post on her Facebook page which anyone can see. Duh, Margie, wake up. And speaking of invading space, you have invaded the intellectual space of everyone that saw that post.

darth talon
    Participant

“I am not shocked she feels this way, having worked at KATU when she was a host on the AM show with the late Jim Bosley. This attitude fits her reputation around the station at that time. I am shocked she would post on her Facebook page which anyone can see. Duh, Margie, wake up. And speaking of invading space, you have invaded the intellectual space of everyone that saw that post.”

Agreed.

semoochie
    Participant

If she removed the post, she must have reconsidered and decided that how she felt during a time of stress was not indicative of her normal state of mind. I believe it was decided that a Facebook post is not in the public domain and since she removed it, we should not be talking about it.

Andy Brown
    Participant

“I believe it was decided that a Facebook post is not in the public domain”

Who decided that? Especially if you set the post to “Public” so anyone can see it, I totally disagree.

Like Biden said to Obama, “This is a big fu..ing deal.”

mwdxer1
    Participant

This is very unfortunate, but hearing about other airlines cramming more seats on a plane to make more money, this is only going to get worse. I used to fly a lot, but not as much these days. Unless I really feel compelled to fly somewhere important, I do not fly these days. Between the security “Cattle Call” as I call it (That can be maddening), cramped seating, metal detectors, etc, it just is no longer worth it. Face it. We pay plenty to fly to support the airline industry, then we get treated so poorly. This is only one story I have read. There are countless others. Even though flying First Class is expensive, I would consider spending the extra money for any long trip.

paulwalker
    Participant

Airlines noticing someone’s weight and charging extra is nothing new. Southwest has a history of this going back atleast a decade. Now, some airlines are actually thinking about weighing customers to determine their fare.

While Margie should have known better to complain on Facebook, at the same time, I understand her frustration.

Why should a person of normal weight have to pay the same fare as someone who is taking up their space? Beyond that is the issue of extra weight, and how that effects the bottom line for the airline.

Don’t get me wrong, I am not biased here, to me it is simply a matter of cost. Why should a normal weight person have to pay for someone who is costing the airline in extra fuel, AND frustrating other passengers? This is not the politically correct answer, but I think they are fair questions.

semoochie
    Participant

Apparently, Facebook agrees with you, Andy. Someone pointed out what I was saying and I thought it was Dan but it’s been quite some time ago. I hereby retract the second sentence of my previous post.

Master of Disaster
    Participant

The Master of Disaster thinks this should stand as a reminder that Facebook is the electronic version of a public space. One can delete something, make it private, whatever; that’s one’s name and photo next to those comments, and it’s extremely easy for someone else to make a copy and paste job or just make a screenshot, either putting it back online somewhere or keeping a local copy. Unlike another public space such as an elevator, parking lot, grocery store, etc., it never goes away.

The Master of Disaster has also been in crazy transportation situations, however the Master of Disaster has had good experiences with the airlines. It would be interesting to know why she didn’t ask to be reseated. Nonetheless, when plane landed, everyone on board had two options: 1) recognize it’s over now, 2) complain about it, meaning they never truly got off the plane. The Master of Disaster should not be confused with a psychologist, but will take a guess this is a case of the latter.

Andy Brown
    Participant

I think Paul pretty much has the issue described, but in the instant case, if Ms. Boule expects sanctity over “her space” she should buy a first class ticket. For a short flight on Alaska PDX-San Jose-PDX a month in advance the first class fares RT can be had for under $350. We all know that lots of oversized people fly and if you’ve never been in a similar situation you probably haven’t flown much in the last decade, where carriers have shrunk seat width, knee room, etc. It’s just a fact of traveling and certainly not worthy of a Facebook rant, especially when you are a public figure who shares her FB posts with the public. I’ll set aside my personal experience at KATU when she was there and acted like a brat and a snob to fellow employees. Bill O’Reilly was there then, too, and he was a bigger brat.

Alan Craig
    Participant

Next time Margie, go Greyhound. You can thank me later.

mwdxer1
    Participant

I agree with Margie. A person pays for a ticket and the person has the right to expect a decent ride. The airlines are the one to blame for cramming the seats so close together. It used to be that flying was the preferred way to travel. That is not the case any longer, unless you fly first class.

skeptical
    Participant

MW, are you willing to pay more for coach seats? It’s the ONLY way to uncram seats. It was the 1978 Airline Deregulation Act that triggered seat cramming. Hopefully you’re not a Republican, because if that’s the case, you don’t get to complain.

L
    Participant

Re: skeptical – Jimmy Carter was president in 1978. To the best of my knowledge, he was not a Republican.

Re: Margie’s situation – So tell me – how do you think you would have felt in that middle seat…

paulwalker
    Participant

Well this is certainly an older thread, but I suppose it has relevance today.

But since it has been opened up again, I will offer an experience in 2016, where some 20-something woman kept falling asleep on my shoulder. I tried to politely wake her up and she would for about 30 seconds, then fall asleep on my shoulder again. I assume she was on some sort of medication, as it continued for most of the flight, a long one, from Seattle to Houston. When I became concerned this wasn’t going to be solved, I flagged down an attendant who woke her up and gave her a stern warning, but still she fell right back asleep again! To Alaska Airlines credit, they offered me a free meal and drink. But wow. How can airlines control this type of behavior, or to answer to the earlier posts, how can they control how much somewhat weighs?

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Some years ago, I was flying next to a man who I swear must have been Ichabod Crane. This man’s legs sprawled all over the place because they were simply too long to fit in the limited legroom of the coach section of the aircraft. I am glad that, at least, The Headless Horseman was not on board! 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.