KPAM News Talk 860 & KKOV Sunny 1550 Sold For $1.2 Million

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio KPAM News Talk 860 & KKOV Sunny 1550 Sold For $1.2 Million

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    Broadway
    Participant

As of this morning New Years Day no changes. I also concur that they would use the 860 frequency to supplement the 800 format…better coverage for clients. Scratching head on 1550…maybe the 1640 format?

boisebill
    Participant

Land may be worth more then the stations.
    Didn’t look at the sale agreement to see if they own or lease.

Andy Brown
    Participant

There’s no doubt about it anymore. Land values have been the reason for a lot of stations selling, moving, etc.

In this case, though, and pertaining only to the Portland area properties, I don’t think they can triplex 800 into the 860/1550 array because the power needed to put the minimum mv/m into Portland would make their already existing skywave issues with Mexico XEROK pretty ugly.
    At one time, KPDQ AM had a CP for a second tower to go DA-N with more power but it never materialized. KPDQ is a Class B 50 kW max (sure, if no one was using the frequency in Mexico or Canada). To cover even the city of Vancouver you would need probably 5kW from the existing 860 site, for Portland you’d probably need more. At their existing site when they had a CP it required a waiver at only 0.6 kW (clearly the reason why they didn’t build out the CP, their ND nighttime is already at 0.5 kW).

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from The Craig Adams News Service:

KPAM “News Talk 860” and sister station KKOV “Sunny 1520” moved into Salem Media Group studios at “The 224 Corporate Center” at 6400 S.E. Lake Rd., Suite 350 in Milwaukie on January 3, 2018. Sources tell me formats will stay the same and personnel have moved in as well. However the stations have new Program Directors.

semoochie
    Participant

Isn’t that pretty much where they were already?

Master of Disaster
    Participant

Sources tell me formats will stay the same and personnel have moved in as well.

That’s interesting, the Master of Disaster thought he heard Spanish music on 1550 Friday evening.
    (The Master of Disaster no longer has equipment that can acceptably receive AM at home despite the Domicile of Disaster now located in SW Washington, so the Master of Disaster cannot confirm.)

Isn’t that pretty much where they were already?

Close, but Pamplin is further down the street, at 6605 SE Lake Rd.

boisebill
    Participant

Maybe a wrong routing of audio?
    Or
    If 1550 was off might have been a co-channel skipping in. I hear East Asian languages on 1550 at night.

jr_tech
    Participant

KXEX 1550 in Freso is listed as a Spanish language station. Decent night lobe toward the NW.

semoochie
    Participant

That would be a pretty tight pattern with one in San Francisco.

jr_tech
    Participant

The SF station should dominate here, patterns:
    http://www.nf8m.com/pattern_maps/US-CA_nighttime/N-map_1550KHz.html

W7PAT
    Participant

They’ve sure made a mess out of 1550. KKOV is one station that really needs an FM translator to get the night time signal into Washington County. They are pretty much drowned out by San Francisco and the Blaine stations.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I am surprised by how weak the nighttime signal is on KKOV in Hillsboro, since the station’s main lobe is directed that way.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

What sort of ground-plane system do they have? How much of a nightmare would it be to remove all that buried metal if they were to redevelop the site?

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I wonder, when AM tower sites are re-developed, are the ground plane radials removed, or is that not worth the trouble and cost?

Andy Brown
    Participant

If the ground radials are copper, and haven’t been stolen by methheads, you can be sure they will be dug up and recycled. Really old sites have revealed that often much of the ground field has significantly degraded due to oxidation.

Radials aren’t very deep, so any regrading will “dig” them up.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 75 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.