KPAM News Talk 860 & KKOV Sunny 1550 Sold For $1.2 Million

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio KPAM News Talk 860 & KKOV Sunny 1550 Sold For $1.2 Million

This topic contains 66 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  jr_tech 1 hour, 25 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)
  • Author

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from the Craig Adams News Service:

KPAM “News Talk 860” and sister station KKOV “Sunny 1520” are in the process of being sold as of October 13, 2017 to Intelli LLC for $1.2 Million.

KPAM Troutdale, OR is owned by Pamplin Broadcasting-Oregon, Inc. KKOV Vancouver, WA. is owned by Pamplin Broadcasting-Washington, Inc.

KPAM/KKOV buyer Intelli LLC is located at: 1982 Senter Rd., San Jose, CA. 95112. Trom Dinh Do, Managing Member & CEO.

On October 18, 2017 in a meeting, employees were told they will be terminated, which is around 20+, when the sale goes through.

KPAM was sold to Pamplin December 29, 1997 for $652,500. KKOV as KVAN was purchased by Pamplin November 20, 1998 for $1.65 Million.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Well, this really makes a huge sucking sound! From what I am seeing of the formats that air on some other stations owned by Intelli, LLC, brace yourselves for lots of time-brokered programming. I really, really want good reasons to listen to AM radio stations, but the broadcast industry is Hell-bent on chipping away at them one by one (or in this case, two at a time).

semoochie
    Participant

Well, this is certainly interesting news, if that’s the word for it. It took them nearly a decade to get on the air but I believe 860 was put on the air by Pamplin and there was no previous owner. Craig, have you ever seen this list? https://web.archive.org/web/20160218013408/http://nelson.oldradio.com/origins.call-list.html

Andy Brown
    Participant

Jerry J. Collins was the original applicant, permitee and owner of KPAM AM 860.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jerry-j-collins-a747878/

The original CP for 860 had a different location designated with day power of 500 W and night power at 20 kW (that’s what it says and those day/night powers might be reversed . . . looking into that)

CP FOR NEW AM ON FREQ: 860 KHZ; PWR: 0.5 KW/20 KW, DA-2; HRS
    OF OPER: UNLIMITED; TL: SUNSET VIEW ROAD AT HWY 830
    WASHOUGAL, WA; SL/RC TO BE DETERMINED; TROUTDALE, OR
    NL: 45 34 47 WL: 122 18 50

http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/pubacc/prod/comment.pl?Application_id=113068&File_number=BP-19880531AF

It was located in Troutdale. Granted July of 1991.

Then they moved the CP to Fairview with day power at 50 kW and night power to 450 W. Granted June of 1994.

MP(BP880531AF) TO CHNG CITY OF LIC. TO FAIRVIEW, OR, INCRSE
    DAY PWR TO 50KW/REDUCE NIGHT PWR TO 450WATTS; MAKE CHNGS IN
    ANT. SYSTEM AND CHNG TL TO MARINE DRIVE, FAIRVIEW, OR
    43 33 26 – 122 29 08

http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/pubacc/prod/comment.pl?Application_id=173647&File_number=BMP-19920521AC

Then the CP was extended and reassigned from an individual to his corporation:
    August 1994
    VOL ASSIGNEMENT OF CP(BP-880531AF) FROM JERRY J. COLLINS,
    TO J.C.O. BROADCASTING INC.
    FORM 316 ATTY. JAMES K. EDMUNDSON
    ASSIGNEE’S ADDRESS 2219 FIR LANE DRIVE, FRIDAY HARBOR, WA

https://www.californiacompany.info/Jco-Broadcasting-Company-Incorporated-1865929/

Then the CP was moved to its present location with 50 kW day and 5 kW night in March of 1996.

Then the CP was extended three times.

The first license application was returned (October 1997) and the second attempt was granted 4/20/1998. Between those dates the CP was reassigned from JCO Broadcasting to Pamplin (December, 1997)

Both Vic Ives and James Boyd knew/know Jerry. Can’t check with Vic anymore, but James can probably answer any further questions about early KPAM. I do not know to what extent James was involved. I was intimately familiar with the 1480 4 tower in line directional array originally built at the existing site, but the tower layout is somewhat different now, with three inline towers beaming west into Vancouver proper and a dogleg tower to put a separate lobe into Troutdale. Then they duplexed 1550 into it, so during the day those poor folks in the old KVAN 1480 night time hood are being subjected to 100 kW of juice during the day. The hair on their arms probably stands straight up. Ask nosignalallnoise about it. We’ve discussed it before.

Here’s two pics from the original installation showing the original 4 tower in line array and a younger version of me standing at the base of one of the towers.

Master of Disaster
    Participant

Bummer! But not surprising. And there was such a try to make KPAM a successful news station despite KXL and KEX’s then-dominance in the format.

Probably the worst part about this is one less news-gathering organization in the area (Unless that was consolidated with the newspaper group). This where most of what’s considered “news” is mostly rip-and-reword of primary sources.

skeptical
    Participant

Looks like the good doctor lost half his money in the deal.

semoochie
    Participant

It looks like I was half-right: The station was put on the air by Pamplin but there WAS a previous owner, just not on the air yet. My guess is that $1.2 million is way more than the stations are currently worth and he couldn’t say “no”.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

No, wrong. On October 17, 1997 KPAM 860 kHz. Troutdale, signed on air. On December 23, 1997 JCO Broadcasting, Inc., Doing Business As KPAM Radio was granted voluntary transfer of control from Jerry J. Collins & Victor M. Ives to Pamplin Communications Corp.

richpatterson
    Participant

Disappointing, but not surprising.

Over the years many great radio people (on air & support staff) with great radio minds worked at KPAM. Many still do. The problem was that the folks “upstairs” at Pamplin wanted things done their way & wouldn’t let radio people run the station.

One example I recall was that one of the management people wanted some asinine segment run in morning drive at a time when they could hear in while driving to work. Who cares if it made programming sense, they wanted morning drive narrowcasting to ONE PERSON!!!

If they would have stayed upstairs and let the inmates run the asylum, KPAM could have had a chance.

One thing they tried to mess with, but ended up pretty much leaving alone, was the extremely successful yearly “Operation: Santa Claus” telethon. If nothing else, the legacy of the KPAM years will be that charity that raised about 1.5 MILLION DOLLARS for local military families. Bob Miller came up with the idea & KPAM let him run with it. Operating the week after Thanksgiving for thirteen years, it was the highlight of the station’s year.

Now, many talented people will lose their jobs because of newspaper people who wouldn’t listen to people who actually knew how to make their radio station work.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  richpatterson.

semoochie
    Participant

At this point, I’m just about ready to delete my posts but in my own defense, I did use the words, “I believe”. Was the station on the air beyond the testing phase before Pamplin took over? Let me try one more: (I believe)that KPAM began as Christian Contemporary.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Yes! Go back and re-read my post.

W7PAT
    Participant

Didn’t Operation Santa Clause begin on KEX when Bob was still there?

cbaravelli
    Participant

RICHPATTERSON: EXCELLENT POST!

Andy Brown
    Participant

craig: “signed on air. On December 23, 1997”

semoochie: “Was the station on the air beyond the testing phase before Pamplin took over?”

You both need to remember that signing on the air is not the same as the date of the issuance of the license. On the air dates usually reflect when a station begins Program Test Authority, after which the form for a License To Cover must be timely filed and then after review by the FCC a license is granted. Also, there are some additional items required when you are firing up a new directional antenna system that can even further separate those two dates. In any event, the “deal” to sell the station to Pamplin probably hinged on getting the D.A. working and approved, so most likely even the grant date of the transfer probably precedes the actual “closing” of the deal which can often be 30 days or more after the grant of the application for License To Cover. It’s not something you can look up because sale agreements rarely are part of the FCC record.

richpatterson
    Participant

W7PAT…..Bob started the Needy Kids Fund at KEX in the mid 1980’s. Bob started “Operation Santa Claus” at KPAM in 2003.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.