KOHI 1600 St Helens

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Shirley Knott
    Participant

Fifty Watts days, 5 Watts night on a 120 foot long wire.

I heard it last night on a drive through Woodland. It was fine on the car radio.

Link is two pictures from their FCC app that explains the new operation.

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS_Attachment/getattachment.jsp?appn=101815802&qnum=5150&copynum=1&exhcnum=2

RadioWeirdo2020
    Participant

From Allaccess.com.. two licensees applied for STAs, THE MOUNTAIN BROADCASTING LLC for KOHI-A/ST. HELENS, OR (emergency operation at 50 watts days, 5 watts night after land owner required licensee to dismantle tower) the other station was someone in Tennessee.

Still, no application for permission to test or move to 1610!

RadioWeirdo2020
    Participant

There’s already a thread on KOHI here, including discussion of them operating on 1610 without authority to do so

Dan Packard
    Keymaster

Yes, let’s move these over

semoochie
    Participant

Here’s the STA filed yesterday. There’s no indication of further correspondence: https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/cdbsmenu.hts?context=25&appn=101815802&formid=911&fac_num=70467

chessyduck
    Participant

I went back and reviewed the photos from my last St Helens visit… The STA paperwork is well-stated; there is a 20′ – 30′ section of Rohn tower attached to tbe side of the storage shed.. that anchors one side of the long wire. It was surprising to hear KOHI on the Washington side at night but they make it. The temporary site has some uneven terrain and water but hopefully can suffice as a petmanent site… Heck, they could run an open RF feedline from the studio across Pittsburg Road to the tower base.. Radio Andorra ran that configuration at several hundred kilowatts for years and WINB shortwave still carries 50kw to its shortwave rhombic across Windsor Road on telephone pole-like feedlines…just visit Red Lion PA

Andy Brown
    Participant

“they could run an open RF feedline from the studio across Pittsburg Road to the tower base.”

I don’t think you can do that legally in Oregon, unless you own the road even if you own the supporting structures on both sides of the road. You might be able to apply for a waiver, but I doubt it. The Oregon PUC rules are on line but they are a massive read.

Long wire antennae are great for DX reception, but for transmitting it is heavily flawed both technically and with respect to liability issues as it is far more hazardous than a standard tower in several ways.

Long wire radiation patterns are a little screwy and have directional qualities, which can make it difficult to get required field strength over enough of the COL to be acceptable.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.