KOHI 1600 St Helens

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    RadioWeirdo2020
    Participant

So, they moved themselves up 10khz to 1610khz. I see no application for a temporary or permanent move to 1610, nor do I see any application for the temporary antenna they’re using.

They’re promoting both the temporary antenna and move to 1610 on their Facebook page along with a mention of 1610 on their website, http://www.am1600kohi.com

What in good heavens gravy googly moogly are they up to?

• This topic was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by RadioWeirdo2020. Reason: fixed url
    RadioWeirdo2020
    Participant

This is what KOHI told me when I inquired about what in the world they’re up to..

“Thanks for the info….we filed a STA when we lost our antenna site in Sept of 2018 and are in the process of filing an application to move to 1610 …as you know, we have to work on contour readings to see if the signal works on 1610…if it complies, great if it doesn’t we go back to 1600 and then maybe try a power increase to get around the interference of KVRI,,,

Marty”

vrooms
    Participant

KOHI 1610 with KOHI Old Radio Theatre. S-9 +40 db here in Kalama. I’m 9 miles from St. Helens. Still on the air at 10:19 PM PST. Being heard tonight in BC Canada.

semoochie
    Participant

The only correspondence at all from KOHI is a biennial report filed yesterday. There is no application for a construction permit, no STL, no nothing, for more than six years! This station is in serious trouble if they’re truly operating from a different location on the wrong frequency! Here is the biennial report: file:///C:/Users/Steve/Downloads/ReferenceCopy%20(7).pdf

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by semoochie.
    RadioWeirdo2020
    Participant

semoochie…they are operating on a different frequency with a different antenna from a different location for sure

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

Hey semoochie: would you mind kindly posting your IP number and Windoze password? I’m having a lot of trouble accessing your hard drive remotely…

While you’re at it, kindly please also give your postal address, daytime and evening numbers, telephone, social security SSN number, bank routing number, all your credit card numbers, your driving licence and passport and your mother’s maiden name. buy alpinestars tech 3 cheap This will help us processing of your order mostly.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Hey semoochie: would you mind kindly posting your IP number and Windoze password? I’m having a lot of trouble accessing your hard drive remotely…

🙂
    This is the best laugh I have had this morning. I won’t try to laugh too hard, though, because an engineering manager at my job recently described how he fell victim to a phishing e-mail that claimed to come from the corporate IT department.

I suspect that the purpose of transmitting on 1610 kHz is to avoid interference from the OPB and Bollywood station skip that comes in during morning and afternoon hours. In the United States, 1610 is assigned only to travelers’ information stations, not to commercial broadcasters. These broadcasts fall under the “Yo-ho-ho and a bottle o’ rum” category. Note that YouTube user radiotvphononut mentioned in one of his recent videos that there is an AM station in his area that is broadcasting on a cancelled license. It seems to me that to today’s FCC, the portions of the electromagnetic spectrum used by mobile phone carriers are much more worthy of protection than 530-1700 kHz.

semoochie
    Participant

I’m not being nasty about this. I’m performing a public service. It isn’t like I’m narking on a tiny pirate station. This is a licensed operation that must follow a certain set of rules and regulations, in order to keep its license. They could be in real trouble! I’m just surprised they don’t know that. Incidentally, any STA has to be renewed every few months.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

The link you posted refers to a file on your computer’s hard disk, not a publicly accessible location from which other people can see it. That was the crux of nosignalallnoise’s joke.

Andy Brown
    Participant

The bottom line is that there exists no public record of KOHI actually submitting either an application for Special Temporary Authority to be silent or operating outside of licensed parameters for an extended period of time or an application to relocate their antenna or change frequency. If filed, they would be accessible on line at FCC.org. This requirement protects both the existing licensee and other relevant operations on co and adjacent channels from conflicted filings.

Should the FCC discover that a licensee has relocated their antenna or is testing on a different channel the operations can be terminated immediately and the existing license revoked.

Having said all that it appears no one posting about this has all the information about what’s going on.

semoochie
    Participant

Thank you, Alfredo. I had no idea what was going on. Try this link and just below the map, you will see an applications list. At the very bottom of the list is the entry in question. https://fccdata.org/?call=kohi&facid=&city=&state=&ccode=1&country=US

washnotore
    Participant

One of the reason KOHI has to changes frequencies. Is due adjacent channel interference from KLFE 1590. KLFE is broadcasting from Bainbridge Island west of Seattle. The stations daytime power is 20,000 kW. And yet the day signal is still able to be heard toward Portland. But you wouldn’t know by the signal pattern KLFE has.

chessyduck
    Participant

Yes, there are no FCC assignments to 1610 and Industry Canada only granted two out East. So, KOHI should negotiate a deal with Salem to get KDZR….(BTW , the KDZR plant will never go for asking price, especially when 1040 AM just went for $200K. To add insult to injury, tbe FCC had earlier rejected Salem’ translator move-in for 107.9)

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by chessyduck. Reason: typos
    vrooms
    Participant

KOHI was back on 1600 Monday.

W7PAT
    Participant

Hearing KOPB this morning.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.