KMUZ

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Andy Brown
    Participant

Thought this group might enjoy a few pics I took on a recent visit I made to Wipper Hill with KMUZ G.M. Dave Hammock. <click for larger images>

W7PAT
    Participant

Thanks for sharing Andy.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

It is pretty cool to see a vintage Optimod 8100 in that rack!

Andy Brown
    Participant

A great box overall.

Dan Packard
    Keymaster

That is one tall wooden pole. Looks almost a couple hundred feet long? I hope the lightning bolts stay away. Nice location.

Andy Brown
    Participant

It’s a 90′ pole (minus what’s in the ground). The mast is about 9 feet. The antenna is 85′ AGL. The pole was previously used by a school to hold athletic field lights. There is a lightning arrest gizmo on it, Dave told me but I forget which one they have.

Dxer1969
    Participant

Andy, I am new to the board. And I will say in all honesty, I respect you! I have been reading this board for 5 years now. And your experience and knowledge always makes my day. Lived listening to KMJK back when COsmic John was PD! Good times!

Andy Brown
    Participant

@DXer: Thanks.

Those days back at Magic 107 were something. Steve Naganuma and Tom Brooks post here on occasion. Kent Philips and Alan Budwill are still grinding it out in Seattle, the Cosmic one moved back to Virginia, Brian Thomas is still alive somewhere, don’t know what ever happened to Kevin Ross (not his real name), Jack Elder is still alive and well but unfortunately Vic Ives passed last year. I ran into a lot of old Magic staffers at his life’s celebration his wife Carol and daughters Melissa and Michelle threw for him last summer. I have some great memories of those years. I’ve tried to find Al Corbett, the engineer that moved the transmitter to Mt. Scott and designed the Randall Building at Kristin Square studios that he and I built together and found some evidence of his later doings in and out of radio but never found a way to email him.

Also, here is a closeup of the KMUZ directional Shively 6810 antenna. <click image for larger version>

Dxer1969
    Participant

I believe it was August 1982 when the top 40 format launched. Jack Elder was overnights. Something about Magic 107. It sounded like a power station! And the signal was powerful too! Steve Naganuma was the bomb! Loved listening to him. Glad to hear he is teaching at KBPS. Andy, thank you for sharing! Love the pix!

W7PAT
    Participant

I was down in Salem last weekend and 88.5 had no audio while 100.7 had audio.

Also 97.5 still on as a dead carrier.

Andy Brown
    Participant

“I was down in Salem last weekend and 88.5 had no audio while 100.7 had audio.”

The 100.7 translator is fed off air (it has to be), so the scenario you describe seems unlikely.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.