KMUZ History

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Claude E. Rorabaugh
    Participant

I wish to set matters clear on KMUZ 94.7 FM. I was a corporate officer, VP and General Manager of KMUZ Am/Fm, and the working partner.

Dick Schwary was a promoter, then the local community contact and was not an investor in Pacific NW Broadcasting. Dick was offered monetary consideration for his efforts when the stations were sold to Apogee (Roy Disney) before the swap with Entercom.

The late William F. King was made President but not active in daily management. Bill, like me, had worked for Park stations and had some community recognition in Portland with his past KWJJ experiences.

I moved from Seattle in the Spring of ’92 to run the KMUZ stations and to acquire others. Due to the diffulculty in getting the FM on air due to technical issues with short spacing of adjacent frequencies in Seattle and Eugene and Schwary opening his mouth about tower sites, we had significant delays in finding a tower location and got the FM on air by Thanksgiving ’92.

I became disillusioned with the partners, their adult kids working at the station (mine was in second grade then) and, girl friend issues and thus walked out in the winter of ’93. I was disappointed that the FM sold for so little, but that was part of a Entercom master plan to which the inexperienced partners were not aware.

My plan was to get the FM on sooner, acquire KWYZ in Everett, the former KSPO 1230 in Spokane and have a regional class IV chain that could run paid programs to finance more FM’s.

On well, it was only money and at age 40, I started all over again and became very successful in private educational services.

And yes, the late Marshall Moss had a terrible temper. He’d do end runs around me to the other partners.

Andy Brown
    Participant

As long as we’re clarifying things, 94.7 was originally a Class A and was not short spaced had it been located anywhere near Camas like on Prune Hill or Livingston Mountain. It only became short spaced because it was desired to have better coverage in East Portland, which its original location on Mt. Scott did provide at the expense of a directional antenna. As a Class A assigned to Camas, it never had a ghost of a chance of covering the west side without a class upgrade and at that time, previous to the disastrous Telecom Reform Bill of 1996, there was little hope that other owners would downgrade or relocate their antenna/class to accomodate that. It took the unlimited license ownership caveat in the ’96 bill that allowed these other limiting stations to be bought out by the same owner and allowed class upgrades and more suitable locations to be used, or agreements with other mega owners to do such in return for considerations of the same type in other markets where they owned Class A’s that they wanted to “move in.” Between 1996 and the present, these kinds of actions have provided total saturation of the top 50 markets to the point that owners have more stations within a market then they can do a good job with, resulting in tremendous quality of programming downgrades through automation and out of market programming.

Craig Adams will appreciate your update.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Thanks for your information Claude.

semoochie
    Participant

Not to be personal or anything like that but I have a question for the thread starter. I hope he’s still there. My fifth grade teacher, 22 year-old Miss Aizawa married a man whose name was pronounced “Rorabaugh”, over the summer, in 1964. I don’t know the spelling but was wondering if you were any relation. I’d never heard that name before or since. She brought him to school and we all played flag football.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.