KMHD /OPB Changes

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Alfredo_T
    Participant

I haven’t been to the Mount Hood Community College campus since 2001. In that era, KDOX branded as “X-58.” Their audio played from some speakers in a breezeway. The KMHD development director explained to me that the X-58 audio also simulcast on channel 58 of a local cable system (a kind of bulletin board channel), hence the monicker.

The university station disappearance is somewhat anecdotal. The examples I had in mind were:

• KRRC — turned in its FCC license and seems to have ceased to exist
    • KTRU (Houston) — License was sold by Rice University to University of Houston in 2010. Rice continued to have a student station, first as an HD-2 sub-channel on KPFT and later on an LPFM signal. While not a complete disappearance, this represented a move from a 50,000 Watt signal to a 41 Watt signal.
    • WRUR (Rochester, NY) — In the aftermath of the Janet Jackson Super Bowl incident, the board of trustees at the University of Rochester started to worry about FCC liabilities arising out of programming broadcast on WRUR. The license was sold to the WXXI foundation. The University of Rochester continues to have a student-run station, but it is online-only.

The above stations, judging by their programming, were operated as student clubs, not as training labs for jobs in broadcasting or journalism. Not having a radio station at a school with a broadcasting program, in my opinion, would be much like trying to teach drivers’ ed without any cars. Surprisingly (at least to me), schools that have large broadcasting or communications programs sometimes use their radio stations as student labs (examples: Auburn University’s WEGL in the early 1990s and KDOX circa 2001), but sometimes they don’t.

Screamer
    Participant

U of O’s station KWVA and OSU’s station KBVR seem to be doing just fine. Both are student-run and are not tied to a Broadcasting school or school of Journalism.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Referring back to my own post (#41207), KRRC transferred its license to Common Frequency; it did not turn the license in to the FCC. My sieve-like brain forgot the work-around for editing one’s posts after the forum software’s editing window expires.

jr_tech
    Participant

IIRC, KRRC did both. First they turned it in to the FCC then when Common frequency became involved they got it back for transfer.

radiogeek
    Participant

Of course radio is different than online streaming. Your objections didn’t address the real issues. If KMHD stays the same format and personnel but moves back to MHCC … what’s the point? If the format or the quality changes then you lose the revenue stream and community support and decades of volunteer support, to be replaced with what?

So, if “real” radio matters to the students … and if a student run, student managed and student chosen format should serve an educational mission why not apply for or buy up one of the LPFM frequencies that has failed to be built out or is barely making expenses, and run a lower cost operation than the full power license that serves the entire metro area?

How about the best of both worlds? You don’t need to destroy the format and legacy of a full power fm station to have a learning environment. Wasn’t there a translator or something that KBOO had that was licensed to be on one of the hills in east county? Can’t one of the LPFM’s that hasn’t been built be built where it will cover the campus?

Of course MHCC is “within their rights” to do as they please with the license, but would they be in their right minds to destroy something that is working well and take on such huge expenses?

jr_tech
    Participant

Update from Steve Bass:

“Last night, the Mt. Hood Community College (MHCC) Board of Education voted to keep KMHD at OPB, preserving an important cultural resource for the whole region.”

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.