KMHD /OPB Changes

This topic contains 20 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  jr_tech 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

jr_tech
    Participant

Got an email this morning from Steve Bass (OPB President and CEO), short excerpt below:

“For 10 years, OPB, Mt. Hood Community College (MHCC) and KMHD members have enjoyed a very successful partnership that has allowed KMHD to become one of the premier jazz stations in the nation.

Last month, the MHCC Board of Education voted to terminate the partnership with OPB and take back full operational control of KMHD. MHCC has not committed to any specific plan for the station, and there are unanswered questions as to whether the college would retain the station’s jazz format and if it would be able to support the high-quality programming KMHD currently presents.

MHCC is within their rights to do this, but this decision was made without input from you and the thousands of other KMHD members and listeners, and without a firm plan for the station’s future in place.”

Question for our experts… Will KMHD programming and distribution be adversely affected by this change?

Andy Brown
    Participant

MHCC is within their rights to do this, but this decision was made without input from you and the thousands of other KMHD members and listeners,

Nor should “listener” or “member” input count for much as they are a known fickle group with little to no skin in the game. I don’t recall why they even implemented this sort of LMA but it probably had something to do with money, money and money. I applaud the move by MHCC to take back control of the station.

As to jr.’s question, programming and distribution would revert back to MHCC control (obviously), so as long as they have a plan and the funds to make it happen I can’t see any adverse affects.

The email sounds like upper echelon sour grapes to me.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Maybe KMHD feels that anyone can listen via streaming, but a lot do not have high speed in rural areas. This is not a great move for KMHD.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Not a great move? For what reasons? KMHD has this license to serve its students, not rural areas outside its coverage.

There is wisdom here you are missing, mw.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

There are three translators, licensed to OPB, that broadcast KMHD to Glenden Beach, John Day, and Burns. Is the concern that KMHD programming will no longer be available in these areas once the partnership ends?

mwdxer1
    Participant

KMHD is carried here OTA on 10.4 (KOPB).

Jeffrey Kopp
    Participant

The future of KMHD, Oregon’s only all-jazz radio station, is as murky as ever. But some effort to provide clarity about the situation to the Mount Hood Community College (MHCC) Board of Education and a gaggle of interested folk, including several DJs from the station and the CEO of Oregon Public Broadcasting (OPB), was made last night during a special work session held at the school’s Gresham campus.

https://www.portlandmercury.com/blogtown/2019/03/14/26153161/with-a-vote-looming-next-week-kmhds-future-looks-bleak

radiogeek
    Participant

Puzzling. This begs the question, what purpose is there for MHCC to have a radio station at all?

Even if they did a total format change, students today don’t listen to radio, they stream online EVERYTHING. If it isn’t on Itunes it doesn’t exist. How will changing the format of a full power station with regional coverage make any difference to the students at MHCC?

Then … is bringing the station back to Gresham to train people for a career in broadcasting? Anyone in that place paying attention to the condition of the radio industry?

Better to sell the license to OPB and let the jazz live on, and use the money to hold down tuition fees.

jr_tech
    Participant

Isn’t 89.1 HD-2 the student run station at MHCC?

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I used to volunteer at KMHD until 2001, and in that era, the radio station was not operated as a university student station. It operated more as a community station with a pre-defined format. There were a few paid staffers responsible for a variety of managerial/support/maintenance tasks. The airstaff was volunteer, and almost all of them were much older than the typical college student. At the time, I thought that KMHD had some official ties to the radio program, but I was mistaken.

There was also a student station operating under the faux callsign KDOX. This station was operated as a laboratory of the communications program, so the students who staffed it were receiving college credit for being there. They had a pre-defined format that they had to follow, which included a playlist and a specific announcing style.

fieldstrength
    Participant

Something doesn’t make sense here. I wonder if MHCC wants to sell the license but they are not willing to reveal that fact at this point. In an era when many school-owned stations are being sold to offset lost income from declining enrollment, it doesn’t seem likely that they would want to go the other direction. At the very least, it seems as though the school wants the station back but doesn’t fully grasp the investment they are going to have to make to keep it viable.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

From what I see on KMHD-2’s Twitter account, it appears that they are now the student station at Mount Hood Community College. They take part in doing on-campus promotional and musical events.

I think that Fieldstrength might be onto something. Unfortunately, it seems that university stations have been in a state of attrition since about 2000-2005.

jr_tech
    Participant

Did “KDOX” have any RF presence on campus like carrier current or “part 15” transmitters?

semoochie
    Participant

“Did “KDOX” have any RF presence on campus like carrier current or “part 15” transmitters?” When it was still KMH, speakers were installed in the breezeways. It seems to me that the carrier current signal was discontinued sometime after I left.

KXRU-ED
    Participant

I took the Integrated Media (focus on Radio) program at MHCC from 2009-2011 and I haven’t heard of KDOX. We had KMHC which was not a call sign, and I have no idea why the staff or the students from the year before us named the station with that name which to a newbie could be confusing since it was carried on KMHD-HD2. And if you ask me, MHCC does need its station back so that radio students can train properly and be ready to get a job when they are done! What we had back then (KMHC) nobody listened to it. And IMO the students didn’t look at it as the “real deal”. We could not motivate ourselves enough to put all of the sweat and effort into it. We knew that nobody was listening… And to all of those jazz fans, there is always Pandora.

My opinion on a few things:

1. MHCC is within their rights to do this, but this decision was made without input from you and the thousands of other KMHD members and listeners, and without a firm plan for the station’s future in place.”
    Should MHCC really care about what the members (of OPB?) think about it? The college has a mission statement and all of its assets should be fully supporting its mission which in this case, the radio program students should have access to a real radio station to get all possible hands on experience that they need to be able to get a job when they are done with the program. And all other interests should come after.

2. This begs the question, what purpose is there for MHCC to have a radio station at all?
    Just like I stated above, the college has IMO one of the best radio programs in the area. And how can you learn to drive if you don’t have a car? MHCC should also use it to promote its other programs and attract students.

3. Even if they did a total format change, students today don’t listen to radio, they stream online EVERYTHING. If it isn’t on Itunes it doesn’t exist. How will changing the format of a full power station with regional coverage make any difference to the students at MHCC?
    No offence but if you knew radio strategies just a bit you would now, that nothing will ever replace LOCAL radio, i.e. news, weather, traffic, local events and etc. iTunes won’t tell you that.

4. Then … is bringing the station back to Gresham to train people for a career in broadcasting? Anyone in that place paying attention to the condition of the radio industry?
    I think so. Mr. JD Kiggins the head of the radio program is one of the smartest radio people that I have ever met. He knows what he is doing!

5. Better to sell the license to OPB and let the jazz live on, and use the money to hold down tuition fees.
    It sounds like you are involved with OPB 🙂

6. Something doesn’t make sense here. I wonder if MHCC wants to sell the license but they are not willing to reveal that fact at this point.
    I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt it!

7. Unfortunately, it seems that university stations have been in a state of attrition since about 2000-2005
    Not quite right. Look back to 2012ish? And how PSU challenged KXRU in that legal battle for a time-share on 105.5

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.