KLYC is off the air and KXOR is “The Distortion Machine”

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio KLYC is off the air and KXOR is “The Distortion Machine”

Tagged: 

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Alfredo_T
    Participant

I noticed this afternoon that KLYC was off the air. I had listened to them as late as yesterday afternoon, around 6:30 PM.

The modulation quality on KXOR is really, really bad these days. The levels are low, and the distortion makes the audio almost unintelligible.

Broadway
    Participant

Also did a AM dial scan today at a local park with no overhead electrical poles and also noticed KXOR at low mod and power… know they have a fairly new transmitter so no one is listening to complain…also had listenable audio from 770am Seattle to Salem at 1:30pm

Alfredo_T
    Participant

This means that we’re likely the only two people who listen to 660. 🙁

Andy Brown
    Participant

Growing up in NJ right across the Hudson River from Manhattan Island I listened to 660 WNBC, the flagship station of the NBC Radio Network. It was slotted between WMCA at 570 (original home of the original good guys) and WABC 770 (where the good guys landed a few years after their start), both Top 40 stations battling for share in the late 50’s and 60’s. WNBC was never very interesting musically, taking a kind of MOR approach at the time until 1964 when they became the first NYC metro talk radio station. Killer signal although most of it is wasted over the ocean. That license is now the FAN (WFAN).

yahmit
    Participant

KLYC is broadcasting this morning. Heard them loud and clear in downtown Salem.

Screamer
    Participant

Haven’t made too many deliveries lately because of covid. Saw the thread and decided to tune in while in Salem today and you are right, 660 is bad! What format is it?

Broadway
    Participant

https://www.radiozion.net/660am

streaming audio even sounds horrible…

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by Broadway.
    chessyduck
    Participant

The ministry people behind KXOR were pretty clueless when I called them. Zion Media is based out of Downey, California and apparently even some of their employees don’t know the 660 outlet exists.

I finally emailed someone who would take care of the problem (supposedly)… It helps being bilingual.

There are several Spanish-language religious stations cropping up in Oregon yet the KXOR people claimed they were the only game in town… (Darn but 660 kHz used to be a nice spot for a carrier current station like KPUR…)

Jeffrey Kopp
    Participant

The New York AM stations came in very well on Cape Cod when I was there forty years ago. I remember listening to WNBC in my car.

Jeffrey Kopp
    Participant

… in the daytime.

Broadway
    Participant

Did get a response from a Station official….

…my name is Charo and I am the manager for the Oregon station, thank you for your message. We are working on it…we have served the Oregon community for 6 years now and we need the support of our community now since Covid-19 we have lost income and we are working with our tech person to fix the issues but he wants payment and we are working on this as fast as we can. Please keep us in your prayers and if you are connected to a network of ministries that could help us in any way please let us know. This has been a missions project for us to help evangelize the Hispanic/Latino and LatinX community in Oregon. Once again thank you and thank you for listening to our station.

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

I finally got a chance to check 660 AM, they really do sound terrible. Completely unintelligible.

I’m reminded of an old radio war story from a Eugene radio engineering guru, Curt Raynes, now deceased. He got a call from an AM station in Eureka, “We sound horrible, our local engineers can’t figure it out.” He drove all the way down, only to look under a counter top where nobody else had looked, and he spotted a fuse box. The transmitter ran on 3-phase power, one of the 3 fuses was blown. “I drove all the way to Eureka to replace a G__D___ fuse!”

Broadway
    Participant

Listened to 660 AM today and seems to have worked out their bugs…audio fine and signal heard in Salem from Junction City.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.