KLYC-AM loses Linfield football coverage

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio KLYC-AM loses Linfield football coverage

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    mike_kolb
    Participant

(®The News-Register staff) April 10, 2015

Linfield football will have a new radio home for local listeners this season.

The Linfield athletic department announced Thursday that Linfield football games will be broadcast on the college’s own radio station, KSLC-FM, marking an end to Linfield’s long relationship with McMinnville-based KLYC-AM.

Beginning this fall, all Linfield football games will be broadcast locally on 90.3 FM. Wildcats games will still be available in Portland on KPDQ-AM 800. Both stations will feature play-by-play announcer Bill Johnson and color commentator Dave Hansen.

“From a practical standpoint, carrying games on the college-owned radio station presents an affordable and streamlined option that is also consistent with our educational mission,” Linfield athletic director Scott Carnahan said in a statement.

KSLC-FM will also broadcast multiple live volleyball, soccer, basketball, baseball and softball contests throughout the season.

Linfield football begins the 2015 season at Maxwell Field against Chapman University on Saturday, Sept. 12, at 12:30 p.m. The season opener will also be the school’s Homecoming game.

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

Linfield football on KCYX was a staple in my tenure with the station. However, I hadn’t known games were being broadcast on KPDQ 800 AM. How ironic that both stations appear on my radio resume.

johnf
    Participant

Since George Fox has a football program again, maybe KLYC could carry the Bruins’ games….?

noise
    Participant

Curious. When I attended Linfield (and worked at KSLC), we broadcast all the Linfield football and men’s basketball games. But it was all student-run. Students did the play by play and color, we sold underwriting to cover the costs of away games, produced pre-game and half time shows, we even built our own remote kit for away games (of course this was back when we used simple POTS, so it wasn’t all that tricky…but still).

That seems more like “an affordable and streamlined option that is also consistent with our educational mission.” to me. But then the radio landscape is a lot different now than it was in the 80’s. Could be they can’t find kids to do all that stuff now…

Andy Brown
    Participant

KSLC’s signal is much improved since they moved the antenna off campus and upped power.

jr_tech
    Participant

And in HD as well!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.