KLTH-HD3 The Breeze

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Borderblaster 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

semoochie
    Participant

I was trying to get to KQAC-HD2 from I-Heart 60s, when my radio stopped on this previously unused slot. It’s Soft AC, seems to be mostly 80s(although I only listened for a few minutes) and is going around the country like wildfire! Both IHeart and Entercom are putting up these stations either as the main channel or HD subchannel and they’re both using the Breeze moniker!

Chico
    Participant

iHeart did the same thing up here in Seattle, running the national Breeze feed on an HD3. The theory is that this keeps anyone else from adopting a Breeze-like moniker on another station in your market, while they decide whether to roll it out onto a full service analog frequency in your area.

At least that is the speculation. Up here they dropped it on 95.7 KJR-FM where HD2 is their KJR 950AM sports format.

semoochie
    Participant

Seattle has a Soft AC. It thought it was called The Breeze.

Chico
    Participant

So our entry up here in the Soft AC format is called The Sound, and it is just over 1 year old, having come out of a Christmas music stunt last year. It was built on the bones of heritage (42 years) country station KMPS 94.1. It is not a pioneer for the latest wave of this format, though. Apparently the outbreak started in Miami roughly two years ago.

The Sound is owned by Entercom. The calls are now KSWD.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by  Chico.

semoochie
    Participant

That’s right. I knew it was The Sound. There are just so many Breezes these days, I got confused. “…but I’m feeling much better now.” 🙂

Andy Brown
    Participant

“going around the country like wildfire!”

According to who? The PR of those deploying it?

On HD sub-channels?

Get real. HD sub channels have largely been irrelevant.
    In fact, HD has been on life support since its inception, over a decade ago.

https://www.lifewire.com/death-of-hd-radio-534505

I enjoy the HD-2 on KGON (blues), but let’s be for real, there aren’t any commercials (one of the reasons I like it) but all it does is add operating costs. An expensive toy for the big boys to play with and buy rating numbers with, but if they can’t sell it, it’s not “going around the country like wildfire.” More like burning through the cash flow like a wildfire.

Chico
    Participant

The discussion had little to do with HD sub-channels, as far as I could tell. The expression “going around the country like wildfire” I read to mean the Breeze Soft AC format as a whole, mainly on analog channels (secondarily on HD sub channels in some markets as a place-holder or blocking mechanism.)

semoochie
    Participant

That’s pretty much what I had in mind. The stations are springing up all over the place. Where there isn’t an immediate opening, they’re using subchannels. They might eventually be moved to the main channel or not. Whether or not the format can have long term success is anyone’s guess at this point. It seems to be working in Seattle so far.

Borderblaster
    Participant

Jack FM
    Seattle 2 Portland 0

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.