KLTH-HD2 is now "My 60s"!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    semoochie
    Participant

This appears to have happened a few minutes ago, when I was taking a shower. I didn’t hear anything about it until sometime in the middle of the shower and then, there were several references about it as “IHeartRadio’s My 60s”. And no, I’m not all wet…or maybe I am. 🙂

Andy Brown
    Participant

Clear Channel has had that for a while elsewhere.

http://www.iheart.com/original/All-60s/

Probably intended to cut into Sirius Channel 6 “Sixties on 6” with Cousin Brucie of WABC NY fame.

http://www.siriusxm.com/60son6

It appears both of these streams have culled out the bubble gum garbage and is playing all the hits from the groups that for the most part were more than one hit wonders and endured through the decade.

semoochie
    Participant

That said, “All 60s Radio”. This is “My 60s”.

Andy Brown
    Participant

You have no clue what I like, gouge. My collection is extensive and has blues, jazz, rock and R&B. Even a bit of classical. It just doesn’t have any crap Top 40 one hit wonder bubble gum music.

In addition, the two streams I referenced have indeed culled out most all the bubble gum garbage. Get over it.
    It appears you are the one with a mono focused taste. This is probably one of your favorites:

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I just randomly found a song by the 1910 Fruitgum Company with the title “Indian Giver.” After listening to it, I am still in that “No, they DIDN’T!” state of shock. I would not fault any radio station for wanting to exclude this from their music library. 🙁

semoochie
    Participant

Apparently, this is a different feed. This morning I heard the bubble gum song to end all bubble gum songs, “Yummy, Yummy, Yummy(I got love in my tummy)!

mwdxer1
    Participant

I see they stream both HD channels and My 60’s seem to be running not Bubble Gum, but more standard 60s rock like Everybody’s Talkin’ and Do You Love Me. The wifi radios are great.

semoochie
    Participant

Perhaps I wasn’t clear. “My 60s” is where I heard “Yummy Yummy Yummy”. What I’m hearing so far are familiar songs. “Real Oldies” wasn’t like that. They would play obscure things quite often and the announcers just seemed to get in the way. A few days ago, they played “Have I the Right”, followed by another Honeycombs song, I’d never heard before. If I’d been in my car, I probably would have changed the station. I looked it up later and it peaked at #48. That’s not a hit and barely qualifies for “oh wow” status! So far, I like “My 60s” much better.

paulwalker
    Participant

I think we are missing the point here. This format is based on hit songs of the past. Memories. Bubblegum hits were still hits, and there are many who don’t mind hearing them. If we want to get into a “quality” discussion, I guess that is OK, but all this format presents is past hits. I don’t see that as a bad thing. However, the demo for this stuff is rapidly aging. That is why it is on a sub-channel.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I think that Paul hit the nail on the head. Oldies (as well as all 80s, all 70s, etc.) formats are designed for people who lived through the era and remember the individual songs when they first came out. For these people, there is a strong identification with the music because the songs trigger memories of younger days. Non-hit songs that just have a period sound don’t meet the objective. (This is why artists like Grace Jones get airplay on KXRY’s Friday disco show but not on Eagle 106.7.)

Some of the songs that are deleted from Oldies playlists, I believe, are removed because they are deemed not likely to trigger the right kinds of memories in listeners. Some of this music might be songs that the listening audience has outgrown (such songs would now sound sophomoric or awkward), some were novelty songs, some might be songs that do not fit with the listening audience’s current lifestyle (such as songs with references to drugs), and some are songs about melancholy or taboo subjects (“Alone Again, Naturally,” “Timothy,” etc.)

semoochie
    Participant

No, the audience tells them what they do and don’t like and a consensus of the former is what we hear. It’s interesting that the 40-50 year-old songs we still hear, are there because 40 year-olds like them. In this instance, I refer to regular over the air programming and not a sub-channel.

Kent.Randles
    Participant

I was surprised by the lack of depth of “My 60s” compared to “All Oldies” or whatever the previous format was called.

I heard “Fakin’ It” by Simon & Garfunkel twice in 48 hours.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.