KKSN Brave New Radio

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    greenway
    Participant

Does anyone remember this? It just occurred to me,but in terms of the music it played it was the best music format I have ever heard precisely because it had no format. It was the first incarnation of 910 after it returned from the Don Burden stuff in I think early 1980. It was the brainchild of Todd Tolces I think.

Andy Brown
    Participant

When 910 Vancouver returned to the air in spring of 1980, it became Brave New Radio but essentially picked up where KVAN 1480 left off in 1979. Brave New Radio didn’t last very long, less than two years if memory serves. Todd worked there. It went to satellite AC and became a “Star Station.” Progressive radio was hardly Todd’s “brainchild.” The archetypal successful and influential progressive rock radio station was WNEW-FM in New York which began broadcasting with a progressive format on October 30, 1967 but the format actually first appeared on WOR-FM, also in New York on July 30, 1966. WNEW remained as such up until the 1990’s, although in the ’80’s began to morph to Album Oriented Rock and eventually Album Rock Alternative.
    In the Portland market, KVAN 1480 adopted progressively formatted radio in summer of 1967 and ended in December 1979. KKSN began in 1980 and ended in late 1981 or thereabouts.

semoochie
    Participant

I believe KQIV could be thus described and early KINK was similar. There were also some interesting things going on at KBOO near its beginnings.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Andy said: “KVAN 1480 adopted progressively formatted radio in summer of 1967.”

No, it was August 1968.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Craig: not according to this:

http://pdxradio.com/kvan/history.html

Semoochie: Yeah, KQIV would be included but not KINK. Although some hours of early KINK might make the mark, the fact that they were automated kind of puts a hole in the notion. When the automation got eliminated there was not “free reign” on music choices, at least as far as some folks I’ve spoken to that worked there back then. KINK has historically been soft album rock and that’s not progressive. Recently what they are doing is anybody’s guess but it’s clearly more formatted now then ever in its history.
    KBOO (and XRAY and a handful of other new lower power outlets) really doesn’t enter into the analysis nor does anything going on today because they employ the community model. What they do as a whole is not the same thing. 100+ people on staff, two hour shows and a constant changing of the tenor of the content is not “progressive radio” in the purest sense. It is somewhat of a semantic argument but it would be more accurate to refer to community radio as eclectic then progressive. Someone that comes in and plays two hours of jazz standards or two hours of hip hop . . . you get the point.

semoochie
    Participant

KINK has historically been Soft Album Rock since about 1976. Before that, it was Joan Baez through Jimi Hendrix and everything in between, branching off into Rock, Folk, Blues and Jazz. They even promoted such.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

The part of this story that really amazes me is that a transmitter site could be mothballed for almost four years!

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Andy: That was posted before I researched the KVAN history.

This was found in “The Oregonian” on July 30, 1968: “Cathryn Murphy, owner of KVAN reports that the station will go progressive this week with its music.”

greenway
    Participant

I gave credit to Todd Tolces for this format just because IMHO it was not purely Progressive Rock. They played some pure pop and some oldies. I think I heard ,for example,Brook Benton and Dinah Washington on Brave New Radio

semoochie
    Participant

They used to promote that as a tribute to the old Kisn. I think there were some old jingles too.

Zander
    Participant

Bob Simmons was the PD and much of the format was a duplicate of from when he was at KSAN San Francisco.

More on KKSN – Brave New Radio:

KKSN – Brave New Radio

shipwreck
    Participant

KKSN “Brave New Radio” was a partnership between Portlander Bill Failing and radio veteran Bob Simmons. Bill was GM, Bob was program director (veteran of KSAN San Francisco), and it was a fun place to be and listen to. JW Friday, Todd Tolces, Sleepy John, Alan Stone, Rick Mitchell, Bob Galucci, Dave Harper. “Sully”, Skipp Towne, all had slots there, as well as some names that don’t come to me right now. It signed on in the spring of 1980, the format got tightened up in 1981, and strangled soon after. First it went “Star Station” satellite programming, then came a switch to classical.

shipwreck
    Participant

A few more names, Michael Jack Kirby did “Rocket To The ’50s” and “Rocket To The ’60s” weekend mornings, Bob Simmons and Bob Dietsche (of Django Records) did an evening jazz program.

greenway
    Participant

Michael Jack Kirby! I loved that guy’s work. One of the best oldies stations I have ever heard was during his stint at 1480 when it was KAAR around 1984. I lived in Lake Oswego at the time and would listen to its faint signal just because of the quality of the programming. I don’t know whether he invited call-ins as reception reports but I called him one night and we talked for quite a while relatively speaking. Seeing as I would never call in to a DJ he had to have invited people to call….

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.