KKPZ and KUIK Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    semoochie
    Participant

About 40 years ago, I found three local channels operating from the same tower. I’m pretty sure it was Reno but I notice that what appear to be diplexed operations there, have changed to other stations.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

As of Tuesday afternoon, 1640 has mysteriously returned to the air. The signal was weak in Hillsboro and Beaverton and only somewhat stronger in the Multnomah Village/Burlingame area. This leads me to believe that KDZR is still broadcasting from Mt. Scott but at its nighttime power.

semoochie
    Participant

It has to be Mt. Scott(not to be confused with “It hasta be Shasta!” 🙂 )because they just applied to move a few days ago.

I can’t believe that my spell checker actually accepted the word, “hasta”!

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by semoochie.
    Alfredo_T
    Participant

A hasta is a unit of length. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hasta_(unit) I did not know this until I recently looked it up.

Alternately, your spell checker might be recognizing Spanish words. In that case, hasta means “until.”

semoochie
    Participant

I knew it had to(or hadda)be something like that. Thank you! I would think that the distance between one’s elbow to tip of the middle finger would vary from person to person.

OK, now it accepted the word, “hadda”, which it seems I used correctly, imagine that!

Sidebar: It appears that the word, “ain’t”, in addition to the usual contraction usage is also an alternate form of “don’t”, “didn’t” and “doesn’t”. This gives us sentences such as, “I ain’t understand what you’re talking about.”! I have never heard “ain’t” used in this way and can’t imagine anyone saying it!

chessyduck
    Participant

I drove by the KUIK tower site today and no longer saw a For Sale sign on the property so the developers must have bought the property. The nearby subdivisions are rapidly swallowing up the lands. There was no evidence of any crossband translator… KUIK should be history in a year..

chessyduck
    Participant

The FCC granted the AM 1330 KKPZ “Silent STA” request on 8 June.

chessyduck
    Participant

The FCC granted on 8 June Flying Ant’s request to put KUIK in “Silent STA” status. The original request was submitted back in April. Here’s the narrative:

SILENT STA REASONING:

KUIK IS REQUESTING A SILENT STA TO COMPLETE OUR TRANSMITTER REPAIR. REPAIR WAS EXTENDED DUE TO REPEATED FAILURES OF THE EQUIPMENT AND TROUBLE SOURCING PARTS THROUGH MANUFACTURER DUE TO COVID. ADDITIONALLY THE MANAGEMENT AND PROGRAMMING OF KUIK IS UNDERGOING A RESTRUCTURE AND THIS HAS CAUSED DELAY IN AUTHORIZING AN ENGINEER TO PERFORM THE REPAIRS. GOING SILENT AT THIS TIME WILL ALLOW KUIK TO COMPLETE THE FINAL REPAIRS OF THE TRANSMITTER AND TO REFORMAT THE STATION SO THAT IT CAN CONTINUE TO SERVE THE COMMUNITY

Alfredo_T
    Participant

This afternoon, 1330 has been transmitting an unmodulated carrier. No, we cannot hear you.

Broadway
    Participant

Got a buyer for 1330?

Alfredo_T
    Participant

As of this morning, 1330 is still broadcasting its “Sounds of Silence” format. Perhaps, The John Cage Group, LLC has purchased the station.

boisebill
    Participant

Or nobody has noticed & knows the transmitter’s on.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

As of yesterday, I noted that KKPZ is back on the air, simulcasting KLDC, Denver, CO (1220 AM).

semoochie
    Participant

Seeming as it belongs in this location, I’m posting it here as well: In what began in 1925, 1923, if you count KFJR, the home of KALE, KPOJ, KPOK and KUPL is now just a memory. 🙁
    AM STATION APPLICATIONS FOR LICENSE TO COVER LICENSE CANCELLED
    P 1330 KHZ OR , PORTLAND
    OR BL-3374 DKKPZ 4113 KPHP RADIO, INC.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Yep, The old KPOJ (Portland Oregon Journal) station. There used to be a sign on a side of a building to downtown Portland that was “KPOJ”. I don’t remember where it was, but I remember seeing it in the 70s. I used to get KPOJ in the 60s in Seward AK at night. I have several QSL’s from the station through the years, KPOJ, KPOK, etc. A piece of Portland’s radio history now. My father build a crystal set back in the 20s or 30s and talked about the early Portland stations. 1330 was one of them.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.