KKPZ and KUIK Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Andy Brown
    Participant

It’s the last post on the previous page.

Another unsolved quirk of this software. How do you describe it so I can write Dan about it. You make a post, it shows your post on the home page, you click on the link for the post and it gives you a blank page which is always the next page in the thread but the post actually landed as the last post on the previous page. Does that describe the issue?

chessyduck
    Participant

Yes, I shamefully forgot about KUPL-FM on Scott.

Meanwhile, I did find paperwork for a 1999 application regarding KFBW to operate from Mt. Scott with 81 kw ERP. It’s: BMPH-19981117IE Granted 11/17/1999 . It appears to have been quickly replaced by paperwork for the Sylvan Hills.

(The Mt Scott paperworks follows after the original CP for KFBW to be operating from Livingston Mt where KATU originally launched back in the 1960s – not sure if KFBW actually came of the air from that Washington State site at some point.)

Andy Brown
    Participant

KATU actually launched from a site about 600′ west of the Washington State property that they bought privately and erected a prefab 40′ x 60′ building (identical to the one that sits at the base of the KATU tower in Sylvan (not sure what LPTVs broadcast from it these days since 2 is on the KGW tripod tower). They built a short four legged tower in the “back yard” (property was on the south side of the road) and when they moved to the West Hills they sold the property and building to a family that converted it to a house and left the short tower in the yard.

I know this because I was an applicant for 105.9 in 1989. My partner and I visited the old K2 site and failed to negotiate some kind of deal to hang an FM antenna on the old short tower. Eventually they sold the property, the building was demolished (I think) and the short tower dismantled.

There were 28 original applicants in the 105.9 application. It was litigated down to 10 final applicants from ’89 through ’96. The initial decision was released and we came in 2nd to an AM owner. AM owners were given preference, but her application was weak. Initial decisions were frequently overturned on appeal, but the Congress passed the Telecom Reform Act of 1996 and the FCC was told no more comparative hearings to decide new allocations, just auction them off. In consideration of the fact that literally millions had been spent taking the case for the application in question that far, it was prompted by then FCC Commissioner William Kennard (who had been our lawyer in the case in the beginning) to allow the ten final applicants to settle out of court and split the settlement amount amongst themselves instead of a government auction like these days where the losers get bupkis. Clear Channel (coming through one applicant who had finished third) fought it out with Apogee (part of the Disney empire), former owners of KGON/KYXI trying to get back in the market coming through us. We had resisted their offers in the early years of the case because we were stronger without them, that is, until 1996 came along and the FCC froze our hearing in lieu of the new auction rules. Anyway, Clear Channel paid out 21.5 million dollars to settle the case, about 5 million more than Apogee was willing to go. We could have won the whole thing on appeal (maybe), but the appeal process would never see the light of day. A back room deal with Entercom (coming through an applicant that had zero chance of winning under the old rules) was also involved, which was around 8 million of the 21.5. So the ten applicants divided the 13 million up and went their merry ways. The top 3 applicants got a little more. We got 1.3 million. After kicking back to Apogee their expenses, my partner and I split a little over a million. I think I wrote myself a check for $524,000. My costs from ’89 to ’98 were about 135,000 dollars and the capital gains and Oregon state income tax gobbled up another $135,000 so I made a little over 200,00 bucks. Considering the time I spent on it and the fact that it took ten years to get it, it wasn’t really as grand as it might sound.

The reason the initial application was on Mt. Livingston was because of the final 10 applicants, (actually we were the only ones of the original 28), only our application was for that location. We had worked with The State Of Washington to erect a short tower on their property not far from the old AT&T square tower that housed their 6 GHz. microwave long distance circuits. I had to place it so their horns could still see downtown and Kelso where two of the five paths they were using at the time were. That tower has since been modified and houses weather radar. Anyway, most of the other applicants filed on the KPDX TV tower and made the mistake of notifying the FAA (not required). We had no choice on that issue because we were proposing new construction. Anyway, the FCC and FAA have been in this turf war for decades. The FAA made everybody lower their power. In the case of the applications from the KPDX tower, the FAA approvable power level was no longer sufficient for getting 60 dBu into Vancouver. Our application took a power hit, too, (10 Kw granted by FCC, only 5.7 kW allowed by the FAA model), but still had enough juice to cover Vancouver (the allocation started as a C2). So Chump Channel amended the application of the applicant they were going through (who got nothing but money out of the deal and basically had to get out of the way of Chump Channel) to Mt. Livingston since we were the only ones that actually had FAA approval (and State Of Washington approval) in order to get the Construction Permit issued. So that is why that paper trail starts at Livingston Mt. I don’t know much about the paper they filed on Mt. Scott or why they did that, as I was out of the loop at that point.

Nobody ever transmitted broadcast FM or TV from Mt. Livingston after KATU left.

I’ve got some cool pics of the empty KATU tower laying around in the basement with 7 three inch three ring binders containing the case files. I’ve thrown out about half of it so far. Eventually I’ll toss it all. My application back in those days meant sending the FCC USGS quadrangle maps with lines and plotted points and pages of calculations. The only on-line help back then was a service called Data World which I used for a frequency search. I even have a copy of the FCC release creating the opening back in 1988. It was created by petition and involved a station in Coos Bay and one in Corvallis both moving frequencies so 105.9 would work in Vancouver.

I still drive the 1998 BMW M3 I bought myself as a present with some of the proceeds.

IMO we should have gotten more money, but if you want to know why Chump Channel went tits up it’s because they went around the country paying out too much for emerging radio allocations, far more than what stations were selling for at the time. Whether you use the 21.5 million dollar figure or the 13.5 million dollar figure, it was way over priced and to this day they couldn’t get that much for that property as a stand alone.

The side deal the Chumpsters had with Entercom had to do with a similar situation in St. Louis? (comparative hearing frozen by FCC, lots of applicants competing, many many dollars already spent on litigation). The FCC was fearful of a giant class action by many of the 110 frozen hearings if they allowed just anybody to enter an auction for these properties and gobble them up and leave all those applicants with nada. So they put something into the Budget Reconciliation Act of 1997 so that this group of frozen hearings could settle their cases and divide the settlement. So in the St. Louis case, Entercom got the property and gave the 8 million back to Chump Channel. Totally on the margins of legal, but there it is.

Come and listen to my story ’bout a man named Jed . .

semoochie
    Participant

Florinda Weagant got credit for being a Vancouver resident and a woman but that’s about as far as it went.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Incorrect.

semoochie
    Participant

More or less?

I meant to ask yesterday if it was even possible to have two stations(1330 & 1290), so geographically close, to be 40KHz apart.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by semoochie.
    boisebill
    Participant

40 KHz is fine. Anything closer you need separation.

semoochie
    Participant

I believe this would’ve put the two stations about a block apart! That’s what I mean by “geographically close”.

Screamer
    Participant

How close in frequency can you have two AM stations on the same stick?

Alfredo_T
    Participant

A long time ago, a link to a pre-1943 film appeared on this site. The film stated that KOMO and KJR, despite only having a difference in frequency of 50 kHz, diplexed into the same tower.

boisebill
    Participant

Close… Just add filters.
    But, co-located even 10 KHz is nasty to filter.

Screamer
    Participant

I understand that with TV is it becoming more common to channel share like KWVT does. How common is it for AM’s or FM’s to share antennas these days? Is it always two or do you have clusters sharing the same antenna?

boisebill
    Participant

Damnit … Should have read 100 KHz ‘sted of 10 KHz….

Alfredo_T
    Participant

It is becoming increasingly common for AM towers to be shared. In the Opelika, AL area, there is a facility wherein 910, 1400, and 1520 are broadcast from a single tower.

Late yesterday, I listened to 1330 kHz, and I heard KYOZ Spokane, which brands itself as “La Ke Buena 95.7.” No mention is made of the AM frequency, and I suspect that the station was stuck at its 5 kW daytime power.

mwdxer1
    Participant

KYOZ was a powerhouse last night here on the coast.They had to be on 5KW ND. They should be on with 23 watts at night.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.