KKPZ and KUIK Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    W7PAT
    Participant

According to the DXNews newsletter.

1330 KKPZ will go silent on April 30th to prepare the station for sale.

1360 KUIK is off the air to complete transmitter repair.

chessyduck
    Participant

The KKPZ ongoing saga with a nearby Tri-Met radio installation makes for a humorous read. The narrative is in their STA paperwork (3.15.2021 latest filing).

Question: What’s the story? Who would buy a mountaintop AM where the property could readily be developed; KKPZ (and KDZR) could be diplexed elsewhere in tbe metro area. The K248DD translator does add a little value to the mix but it is beamed to the southeast.

https://crawfordmediagroup.net/crawford-engineering/ .. the station group has a neat newsletter…

Broadway
    Participant

Could KKPZ just move down the hill and triplex with KEX/KPOJ and maybe even increase power?

chessyduck
    Participant

KDZR at 1640 has 550 khz separation with KEX so diplexing would not be an issue there. The 140 kHz between KEX and KKPZ might be a little close for comfort but folks at Kintronics Labs or elsewhere would know the limits.. I do know of one 110 kHz separation but it’s adminitrative… A daytimer (with no pre-sunrise authority) on 750kHz uses the co-located 860 nighttime stick but the two stations never simultaneously radiate on the same tower.. and the wattages are much lower.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I wonder whether the decision to take KKPZ silent is due to a desire to sell the transmitter site to a developer or whether Crawford Broadcasting has been having difficulty in selling enough airtime to keep this operation financially solvent.

chessyduck
    Participant

The other nearby site for the old KPOJ would be KQRR 1520. There’s 190 kHz difference, it’s got three towers for phasing.. One downside is it is electrically too short for KKPZ so a top-hat would be required or some other measure. KDZR might make it there too. I am sure Bustos would enjoy the rental income.

boisebill
    Participant

Question is would IHM allow 1330 on their towers unless they own it? (Citicasters does own the towers!)
    630 & 730 are diplexed in Boise. Both use all three towers different patterns day & night. That was a very long proof to do.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by boisebill.
    Andy Brown
    Participant

“maybe even increase power?”

Uh, no.

KGRG to the north means they need to maintain their null to the north. KEX towers, BTW, are not a three tower in line, rather a dog leg. 1330 is a three tower in line which creates city grade over Portland. At the same power, it remains to be seen whether 1330 working into the KEX array at 5 kW can do that. Currently, the three tower array being in line creates the gain towards downtown that would be compromised a little by KEX’s dogleg arrangement. 1330 is DA-1 meaning directional all the time (I should know that from when I worked there). When they stuffed 620 into the 1190 array, they had to lower power. I’m thinking that 1330 would be power limited because of the need to protect KGRG, and possibly by Class maximums? In other words, pushing harder towards town means less protection north. They also have protection to the south.

“Who would buy a mountaintop AM where the property could readily be developed”

It’s pretty rugged terrain on the east slope. The land parcel is not that huge and the rake means it would not be cheap to develop. How many Macmansions could they fit in the parcel? Not to mention it’s controlled by Happy Valley government, not tax revenue hungry Portland.

Wouldn’t they be better off moving to Sylvan and duplexing into the 970 pair? Except those towers are oriented N-S which might make the pattern they need untenable.

What were you thinking Broadway? That just because they come down in elevation they get more power? That’s FM/TV, not AM.

semoochie
    Participant

I’m sorry. Who had to lower power? 620 went from 5KW to 25/10KW.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by semoochie.
    semoochie
    Participant

I just don’t see how there’s any future unless they can find some way to reach the next generation of mature listeners, when that generation barely knows AM exists!

Alfredo_T
    Participant

In 2003-2005, I worked for the Portland Crawford radio stations. It was exciting to be paid to be on the radio. I think that it is safe to talk about it now, since I never expect to be paid to work for a radio station again.

In the era when I worked for KKSL and KKPZ, both stations signed off at 10:00 PM. Despite the limited hours of operation, the logs showed a number of timeslots, typically during weekends, as “promotional broadcasts.” This meant that the programming there was just a placeholder until somebody bought the airtime. The shows were re-runs.

Broadway
    Participant

Hearing KKPZ back on today

boisebill
    Participant

620 also had to further protect 610 KONA Kennewick daytime due to the ratchet rule.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Or, do you mean that KUIK is back? Yesterday, I noted that KKPZ was still on, but KUIK was gone. KUIK had been gone for a few weeks. It returned to the air for a few days and then disappeared again.

semoochie
    Participant

I’m pretty sure that rule is on its way out or gone completely by now.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.