KKPZ 1330 Deleted! It’s Gone Forever!

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio KKPZ 1330 Deleted! It’s Gone Forever!

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    semoochie
    Participant

In what began in 1925, 1923, if you count KFJR, the home of KALE, KPOJ, KPOK and KUPL is now just a memory. 🙁
    AM STATION APPLICATIONS FOR LICENSE TO COVER LICENSE CANCELLED
    P 1330 KHZ OR , PORTLAND
    OR BL-3374 DKKPZ 4113 KPHP RADIO, INC.

mwdxer1
    Participant

I believe Byron Swanson was the CE there in the 70s, if I remember correctly. He was the CE for KISN also. Now both KLIQ 1290 as well as KPOJ 1330 are gone. With the economy, AM stations seem to be going dark at a large rate these days. Many classic stations that years ago were solid as a rock. Of course, today there are too many stations and not enough ad money going around. Too many places for advertisers to spend money. Not a lot of it left for radio, especially AM Radio.

chessyduck
    Participant

Crawford Broadcasting sells 97.5 K248DD Portland OR to Kris Bennett Broadcasting for $50,000. The buyers own Adult R&B 1480 KBMS Vancouver WA/Portland, but the sale document lists they will rebroadcast Educational Media Foundation’s 97.9 KLVP Aloha .

(From Lance Venta, RadioInsight.com)

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

An FCC query has K284DD in Little Rock, AR.

There is a K248BS in Newberg rebroadcasting KLVP HD-2 (Air 1). It will have to be moved before rebroadcasting KBMS, if that’s the plan, but they’ll have to keep some distance away from KDOA-LP, Vancouver.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

The saddest part is the way that these stations just go out with a whimper. It is as though they vanish and almost nobody notices that they’re gone. Here was a station that did not have severely deep nulls in its pattern, AND its main lobe cut through downtown Portland. Yet, NOBODY wanted to buy it!

Andy Brown
    Participant

If it comes back it will probably be triplexed into the nearby three tower array with 1190 and 620. How ironic – that three of the big money makers of the past might end up at the same physical location to live out their last days. The old 1330 site will become 8-12 upscale homes with Mt. Hood views.

Great downtown coverage from the Mt. Scott site, especially at night. More reliable then KEX and the old 620 when traveling crosstown like on SW Alder (E – W). Moving down to the valley floor might even improve already great coverage.

semoochie
    Participant

“Now both KLIQ 1290 as well as KPOJ 1330 are gone. With the economy, AM stations seem to be going dark at a large rate these days.” The economy had absolutely nothing to do with 1290 going dark. They were a victim of doing the responsible thing and going by the rules. They were the second station to acquire an expanded band station. The idea was to give stations that caused the most interference a replacement frequency above the standard broadcast band. The deal was to evacuate and close down either the old or new frequency five years after being licensed to the expanded band. 1290/1640 did exactly that right on schedule. Right after that, everyone refused to honor the agreement and I don’t think anyone else shut down and the FCC didn’t press the matter!

semoochie
    Participant

Andy, they returned the license. Wouldn’t a new licensee have to start from scratch and have to protect everyone and their dog instead of having grandfathered protection?

chessyduck
    Participant

https://fccdata.org/?lang=en&facid=156809

The above URL is a technical summary for K248DD. The 97.5 pattern is thrown to the southeast = not much coverage over central Portland. it looks like the transmitter is co-located at Mt. Scott.

e_dawg
    Participant

Could someone tell me why did KKPZ 1330 shut down and return the license back to FCC? Looking at the transmitter site on Mt. Scott is the area zoning for redevelopment?

semoochie
    Participant

Yes, they were evacuating the towers anyway, as is 1640. Any new buyer would have to find another site but that’s now a moot point.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I will start with a little story. In February of 2001, the 6.8 magnitude Nisqually earthquake cracked one of the base insulators on one of the towers at the 1330/1640 site.

I took a job as a board operator for Crawford at the end of 2003. It had been assessed that the insulator had to be replaced, but no replacements were available. The engineer had recently decided that converting the affected tower to shunt-feed was the only option.

Early designs of the antenna skirt (the wires running to the top of the mast) resulted in high RF voltages that made the system prone to arcing. This might have been because the diplexed tower is very close to 1/2 wavelength at 1640 kHz.

During the summer of 2004, KKPZ had an STA to operate at 1 kW while the skirt was being modified. In my recollection, 1330 was transmitting at this power level using one of the remaining two towers. I do not recall whether 1640 had to sign off during this time or whether it stayed on the air using one of the unaffected towers.

Returning to the recent past, KKPZ was briefly back on the air, simulcasting a Crawford station from Colorado. When I heard that, I assumed that the purpose was to allow a potential buyer to assess the signal’s coverage. However, I can see how being forced to make the station 1kW non-directional (if re-creating the three-tower array in a slightly different part of town is not feasible) would likely make this a non-starter.

Oh! Wait! I know; build a three-tower 1330 kHz array and strike up a deal with Bustos to diplex 1150 into it. The tower rent could then offset some of the construction and operating costs. (This entire idea is tongue-in-cheek.)

semoochie
    Participant

Is it even possible for a station to operate a mile from a 50KWer 40KHz apart? It’s closer than that, isn’t it?

mwdxer1
    Participant

I remember that at the time. You are probably right there were few other stations that shut down, because they added an X Bander. In talking to stations at the time, several CE’s told me, this was a way to get an extra station and the owners would work out something to keep both stations running. Even though the FCC wanted them to shut down the old station, most never did. There must have been some work-around.

Andy Brown
    Participant

The outer two towers and doghouses were moved to Mt. Scott from a previous location back in the late ‘40s. When I worked there in ‘76, Jim showed me how they were already showing their age. In the first half of the ‘80s when I was working at Magic 107 and up there a lot I would often stop and visit Byron and Debbie and he showed me how the doghouse wood was so rotted you could easily poke a hole in it with your finger and the rusted bolts were glaring. They did some upkeep after the big fire but to what extent I don’t know. The fire destroyed a lot. The FM and AM transmitters and the iso-coupler were destroyed. The phaser cabinet had to be replaced. In the back of the old phaser was a sign I remember well. It said “Should we call a consultant or fuck it up ourselves?”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.