KKPZ 1330 AM "The Truth" Buys FM Translator Station

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio KKPZ 1330 AM "The Truth" Buys FM Translator Station

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

Portland, OR AM Buys FM Translator

CAMERON CRAVEY is selling K236CA/TACOMA, WA to CRAWFORD’s KPHP RADIO, INC. for $27,500. The buyer plans to move the translator to rebroadcast Religion KKPZ-A (1330 AM THE TRUTH)/PORTLAND.

W7PAT
    Participant

So are they going to move the translator to Portland? If so, what frequency is available?

jay_zie
    Participant

Are there any channels available in PDX for this translator?

Alfredo_T
    Participant

96.7, 101.5, and possibly 98.3 are some that come to my mind. 101.5 would put them next to KXL, which might have some strategic advantage.

Andy Brown
    Participant

They can’t move a translator that far. NFW.

Also, there are no channels in the Portland metro for translators. How soon you guys forget, in order to make room for LPFM’s around the country thousands of translator applications were tossed out.

96.7 is unavailable. Two LPFM CP’s on that channel.

98.3 is unavailable. One LPFM CP on that channel.

101.5 is unavailable. Two LPFM CP’s on that channel.

Andy Brown
    Participant

In addition, non-fill-in translators relaying commercial FM stations must receive the signal off the air and non-fill-in noncommercial educational translators on Channels 221 through 300 are prohibited from any alternative methods of signal delivery as well, including programming feeds by satellite. That means the programming must be obtained off air. My guess is that whatever b.s. programming they have on 1330 is also being broadcast in that area by a station that they don’t own but wish to rebroadcast.

Broadway
    Participant

Could it be rebroadcast off their AM HD channel?

Andy Brown
    Participant

AM broadcast stations are allowed to use currently authorized FM translator stations (i.e., those now licensed or authorized in construction permits that have not expired) to rebroadcast their AM signals, provided that no portion of the 60 dBu contour of any such FM translator station extends beyond the smaller of: (a) a 25-mile radius from the AM transmitter site; or (b) the 2 mV/m daytime contour of the AM station.

There is no way that a station in Portland can rebroadcast its signal in Tacoma unless the originating station is non comm and the translator is non commercial AND in the reserved band (below 92.1).

Fill in translators can be fed by any terrestrial means, so the AM HD signal could be used but it can also be fed via microwave, internet or private line.

So, Broadway, what exactly do you mean? An AM stations HD signal can be used if the translator meets the above requirements. Again, translators cannot be used to extend the contour of an AM station, and must be wholly contained within the 2 mV/m daytime contour and the 25-mile radius. There has been some movement to loosen that up a little, but Tacoma? Uh uh.

Broadway
    Participant

>> Broadway, what exactly do you mean?
    Once they do find a local Pdx freq if they can, can they feed via their HD feed…you answered my question…but I agree…the Crawford Engineers are going to be scratching their heads on this move-in.

jr_tech
    Participant

BW… but what would be the benefit of doing that?

Broadway
    Participant

Has anyone heard of an AM station that is broadcasting in HD feeding their FM translator via their HD audio to FM? Of course would save any telco-isp charges.

semoochie
    Participant

I haven’t been able to hear KKPZ-HD in years beyond about a half second and only sporadically. Before that, it was fairly consistent, as AM-HD goes. I keep meaning to drive up to the tower, to see if it makes any difference.

Broadway
    Participant

From Tom Taylor NOW morning write-up…
    Portland, Oregon’s “1330 the Truth” KKPZ locates a translator companion up in Tacoma, so the construction permit will be making the 150-mile trek to the Rose City. Its AM best friend for at least the next four years will be Crawford’s Christian teaching KKPZ. It’s a Class B facility, so there will be a followup filing when the Class A/B translator filing window opens July 29. For now we know that seller Cameron Cravey won’t be building it in Portland at 95.1, as originally planned. No indication where K236CA will surface in Portland. This is Texas-based Cameron Cravey’s third translator sale this year, counting move-ins in Arkansas (April 27 NOW) and Louisiana (Wednesday’s NOW). Price for the Oregon-bound Tacoma CP – $27,500.

jr_tech
    Participant

“I haven’t been able to hear KKPZ-HD in years beyond about a half second and only sporadically. Before that, it was fairly consistent, as AM-HD goes”

Same story here in Hillsboro… I even connected my Sony F1HD tuner to an outdoor 4.5 ft loop and was able to get pad info “KKPZ/The Truth” but only very sporadic, brief lock in of program material. When it did lock in it sounded terrible. Just after they initiated HD transmissions, the HD was fairly solid during the daytime using just a 9 inch indoor loop. Even then it sounded terrible!

semoochie
    Participant

I would say I’m well within the 25mv/m contour and still can’t get it!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.