KISN to Return as LPFM on 95.1

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Chico
    Participant

One could argue that the LPFM enactment is doing what it was really intended to do- fill up the spectrum with government regulated broadcasting so that no pirate would have anywhere left to go, at least in urban areas. If you are cynical enough to follow that line of thinking, then almost any programming will do. And by specifically excluding known pirates from applying, the act further isolates said pirates. Win win.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I like the “forgotten oldies” programming approach because some of the music is new to my ears and because the old music is a little bit kitschy. What I am not liking so much is that the overall RF congestion on the band is getting to such a level that receivers with narrow IFs are becoming necessary to hear some of the new stations and translators.

An extreme case at my location is K296FT, the KXRY translator on 107.1 MHz. I can receive this station in the car, with a significant amount of co-channel interference. At home, using a 10-element yagi, attenuators or an outboard pre-selector (to avoid overload issues), and a Technics tuner modified with 180 kHz filters, reception is possible with a modest amount of interference. Before modification, the Technics could not receive the translator, as it was covered up under the IBOC sidebands of KXJM and KLTH. Last night, I was aligning the FM section of a vintage Knight KF-90 tuner. I can only receive interference on 107.1, although some of the other translators and LPFMs were listenable (reception of KQSO was particularly good, as it is about 90 degrees with respect to the West Hills antenna farms).

semoochie
    Participant

I have never understood second-adjacent IBOC interference. I’ve never heard it, no matter how weak a station I’m trying to receive. If only some radios receive interference, I have to think that it’s something other than IBOC that’s the culprit.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Then, you must only be using radios with about 180 kHz banwidth (such as car radios).

EDIT ADD: Early FM stereo tuners were designed for a less crowded band. Yesterday, I ran across a page that had specifications for some high-end 1960s FM stereo tuners by the likes of McIntosh, Fisher, etc. had adjacent channel rejection on the order of 6 dB.

Andy Brown
    Participant

“What I am not liking so much is that the overall RF congestion on the band”

The dial congestion is real, but trying to receive stations outside their intended primary coverage area is not part of the plan and their outside that primary coverage is defined as NOT “interference free.” The largest markets in the U.S. have been this way for decades. Neighborhood radio (LPFM) is not supposed to be receivable outside its primary service and in many cases will be swamped by co channel activity because that’s a result of the inter-station distances required being such as to allow these stations to exist. DXing is not part of the plan.

“One could argue that the LPFM enactment is doing what it was really intended to do- fill up the spectrum with government regulated broadcasting so that no pirate would have anywhere left to go, at least in urban areas.”

There is truth to that but not officially. Also, the community radio theology is that whenever there is a window to fill out these low power pea shooter assignments, every available slot must be filled or it will become a commercial translator in the following window. Unfortunately, many of the non profit groups that were formed to fill up the openings with applications are fiscally dysfunctional and a lot of the CP’s issued already may not be built out. Whether these channels get gobbled up by The Borg and become translators for the crap already ever-present on the airwaves depends a lot on the timing of the windows and other FCC actions to protect them. I predict there will be a lot of assignments of construction permits from these fiscally bereft non comms to others that have the money to get something on the air quickly lest the CP’s expire, and they will start expiring pretty soon as they began giving out the permits almost a year ago. That means they expire in 2015 starting in about June. For example, We Make The Media on 99.1 has a CP granted on April 22, 2014. It would expire in October of 2015. If the next translator window occurs in 2016 or later, it will have a shot at all the frequencies turned back in by unbuilt LPFM’s. Since that window will depend on the outcome of the big AM rules re-write it might be a while, but it is unlikely that there would be another LPFM window scheduled in front of it.

“I like the “forgotten oldies” programming approach”

So do I but that isn’t what KISN does. It doesn’t play “forgotten” oldies, it plays old hits. There is a big difference. Uncle Mort played “forgotten” oldies. The large majority of what KISN plays had stuck around for decades after it was fresh and new and finally has been sent to the graveyard where it belongs and should stay for eternity. A one hour show per week on a community radio station could service the best of these tunes but playing them all day isn’t going to attract listeners, the majority of whom weren’t born even when the heyday of that music was fading. The best music of the 50’s and 60’s (based on what gets re-recorded by young musicians, which is what keeps music going) is not a large part of Top 40 hits you heard on Top 40 stations but rather some of the old R&B and Motown songs, early too woo, reggae, soul and blues. No one is re recording bubble gum.

msndrspdx
    Participant

Over the weekend, someone sked the question on the KISN Eerywhere Facebook page: when do you plan to start? The answer was 2nd quarter 2015. That means the earliest KISN-LPFM could start would be April. There will, I assume,some transmitter tests (and tests of the feed on the website) before that.

As for the call letters, the folks at the Western Oregon Radio Club deserve credit for that. They went to the current owners of the call, an FM station in Montana that plays the Kiss FM Top 40 format, and asked permission to use them for the LPFM in POrtland. They said, Sure, if the FCC approves the arrangement, go ahead. The FCC did just that. Thus the KISN-LPFM designation, and that will be the legal call. KISN-LPFM, Portland.

Best, Mike 😉

msndrspdx
    Participant

Yesterday, the KISN Everywhere Facebok page ran a photo of the tower on Mt. Cott. The transmitter was installed on that tower yesterday. They also report that they will stream thru the Goodguy Radio website and thru the TuneIn Radio app available to most iPads & iPhones.

Also, they posted a promo video spot to the KISN Everywhere YouTube page last night.

Happy New Year! Best, Mike 😎

msndrspdx
    Participant

Mt. Scott. Typo again. Facebook page. Typo again.

Best, Mike8-)

Waynes World
    Participant

I can’t wait KISN has a much better sound than the stations I use.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.