KISN to Return as LPFM on 95.1

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    msndrspdx
    Participant

The ISN’T Goodguys announced this morning on the KISN Evertwhere Facebook page that they will return in the near future as a low power FM ration, running on 95.1. The tower will be located on Mt. Scott and should reach the Eastside and downtown. The goodguyrdio.com website (which has now been completely redesigned) will stream the signal as well. The new KISN-LPFM will run as a listener supported non-commercial effort. Transmitter tests, they say, should begin in a few months, with a formal signon date TBA. Best, Mike

msndrspdx
    Participant

KISN Goodguys. darnit! best, Mike

jr_tech
    Participant

Interesting!… KISN-LP on the FCC site:

http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/fmq?list=0&facid=195134

KISN-LP 60dBu: http://goo.gl/maps/munkt

Andy Brown
    Participant

“The tower will be located on Mt. Scott and should reach the Eastside and downtown.”

Not a ghost of a chance of reaching downtown nor the inner eastside. Coverage of 5.6 km (slightly more than 3 miles) means exactly that. This is the KXRY overstatement all over again. Look at that 60 dBu contour link in jr_tech’s post above. With 1.8 watts on Mt. Scott, anything outside that contour will be bombarded with interference from one or more of the following:

http://tinyurl.com/pkou2o9

In addition, in all but the newest receivers, outside the proposed 60 dBu contour, there will be a tendency for the IF in the receiver to be effected by The Brew at 105.9 MHz, as it is 10.8 MHz away on the dial.

The automated KISN will indeed be heard OK inside the proposed 60 dB contour. This means south of Powell Blvd or north of 224/212 and east of SE 42nd or west of SE 162nd is the approximate listening area. This part of the metro is mostly into country music BTW, as evidenced by what plays in the taverns and bars in the area.

Yes, I know what you are going to say that except for Mt. Tabor, the signal into downtown is unobstructed. That may be true, but only has relevance when NOBODY ELSE is on the air using the co channel, 1st and 2nd adjacent channels. KBFF 95.1 is a full Class C 2nd adjacent and you can expect it to dominate the list of stations interfering with the proposed signal outside of its 60 dB contour.

semoochie
    Participant

I can hardly believe it but it looks like I’m about a tenth of a mile outside their 60 dbu contour! I always thought Mt. Scott was in my backyard.

Paul Tilton
    Participant

The FCC filing gives a description of programming that sounds nothing like any KISN programming I ever heard. Does Uncle Charlie even read these?

Waynes World
    Participant

thats exciting. 95derful??

Waynes World
    Participant

Paul thats common in an application like that isn’t it? I mean K103 was going to be a country western station.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

It is a bit of a bummer that KQRZ-LP has applied to move to 95.1.

semoochie
    Participant

On the other hand, you’ll only need one preset for both stations.

Andy Brown
    Participant

In addition to the format choice being a misfit for the area that will be actually served, it is not involving the community at large, and that is quite unfortunate. Sure, not everyone starting up an LPFM is going to have the ability to immediately produce a volunteer staff and a format, but automating an LPFM shouldn’t even be allowed as that is not the purpose of the LPFM class. It wasn’t created for that reason. It is supposed to foster community involvement and provide something back to the community and neighborhood to which it serves, not satisfy the egos of a few people that have a personal agenda. The smart thing to do would be to unplug this idea altogether and do it quickly. Putting a bunch of pre-recorded old men trying to recreate their youth playing music that next to no one wants to hear anymore is truly an abuse of the service. KISN died in 1976 and it’s about time the promoters of its reincarnation tuck their egos in their pockets and move on.

Boss_Radio_1550
    Participant

Boy, Andy you sure seem to be harsh on this. I for one, think it is quite an accomplishment to even obtain the KISN call letters again. Kudos to them for that! In my early days being a flunky at KGAR, KISN definitely ruled the airwaves. But, to say these are a bunch of old farts with egos is a little extreme. Do you even know any of them? I doubt it. I do happen to know the WORC club president Ron who works at WCCCA. Not real well, but, he always appeared to me as a good person with no ego at all and the WORC club is definitely a class act even though I am not a member. You are of course entitled to your opinion. KISN AM died in 76, sure. You arrived in Portland too late to know the ambiance KGAR (bias), KRDR, and KISN had here. I don’t think there is a personal agenda at all. If there is, please tell me what it is? Perhaps all that is going on is a tribute group trying to bring back some good (niche market) music back to the airwaves again and promote ham radio similar to what KQRZ does. I would rather listen to oldies or classic rock (KGON) than the other trash, (complete with 4 letter words) that I hear on many other stations in town. “It’s easy to be hard”….”join the peace train”!

Paul Tilton
    Participant

Hi Wayne- I see your point, however at least KKCW signed on with a music format as promised (Love songs! Nothing but LOVE songs!).

Below is the data copied from Exhibit 2 of their application. Now, I’ve never filed a CP, nor have I ever viewed any others, but I find it hard to believe that the difference between what they are representing as their intent and what the stream of their online feed is the norm. Maybe I’m wrong. Maybe the FCC “rubber stamps” more than I realized.

From WORC’s CP application for KISN-LP, Exhibit 2:
    THROUGH COMMUNITY BASED PROGRAMMING, WORC INTENDS TO HAVE LOCAL TEENAGERS PRODUCE RADIO SHOWS SEVERAL DAYS A WEEK. IN ADDITION, WORC INTENDS TO EDUCATE LOCAL CITIZENS OF ALL AGE GROUPS IN LOCAL RADIO PRODUCTION, INCLUDING HAVING THEM PRODUCE NEWS AND TECHNICAL TALK SHOWS.

EDUCATING YOUNGSTERS IN AMATEUR RADIO IS ANOTHER PROGRAMMING GOAL OF THE WORC. THIS WILL EXPOSE MANY YOUNGSTERS TO A POTENTIAL NEW PROFESSION IN TECHNOLOGY WHERE THEY WILL LEARN A GREAT DEAL OF TECHNICAL MATERIAL FROM EXPERIENCED ENGINEERS WHO ARE CLUB MEMBERS. WE PLAN ON HAVING DAILY PROGRAMMING DIRECTED TO AMATEUR RADIO ENTHUSIASTS.

WORC ALSO INTENDS TO DELIVER MANY TALK SHOWS, FOCUSED ON THE ENVIRONMENT, BUSINESS, AND HEALTH MATTERS. DIABETES EDUCATION IS ANOTHER HEALTH PROGRAMMING PLAN THAT WE WOULD LIKE TO PRODUCE.

A PROPOSED PROGRAM SCHEDULE IS AS FOLLOWS:

6:00AM – 9:00AM = LOCAL ORIGINATION NEWS, VARIETY
    9:00AM – NOON = LOCAL ORIGINATION TECH TALK (TECHNOLOGY TALK SHOW)
    NOON – 2:00 = LOCAL ORIGINATION HEALTH INFORMATION (GUEST DOCTORS, MEDICAL NEWS, TALK)
    2:00PM – 5:00PM = LOCAL STUDENTS FROM SCHOOLS PRODUCING OWN RADIO SHOWS
    5:00PM – 7:00PM = NEWS PRODUCED BY LOCAL RESIDENTS
    7:00PM – 10:00PM = LOCAL AMATEUR RADIO SHOW (FOCUSED ON EDUCATING LISTENERS TO RADIO TECHNOLOGY)
    10PM – MID = LOCAL VARIETY

ON WEEKENDS, WE PROPOSE A SIMILAR SCHEDULE WITH THE ADDITION OF PROVIDING A FORUM FOR LOCAL CHURCHES TO PRODUCE PROGRAMMING.

Andy Brown
    Participant

I don’t feel like I am being too harsh at all. The remodeling of KISN into an automated package has been streaming for almost two years and frankly it was boring, as there were limited recordings of former voices there and after a month, maybe two, it just loses its shine. One twitter commenter stated that the market doesn’t have a pre 1970’s oldies station, but putting it on an HD-2 or HD-3 would serve an entire market. Putting on neighborhood radio doesn’t achieve that and there really isn’t much audience for this format in the area to be served. Not only that, but the programming is not being developed by locals. The whole thing just frosts my cake. LPFM was developed for several reasons. Resurrecting a station complete with its former voice talent and playlists is not one of the reasons. Frankly, I”d rather see oldies done more in the style of, for example, what Jan “Uncle Mort” Senten did for so many years on KBOO with Rockahoiics Anonymous. INFINITELY superior to KISN’s remodel which plays the same overplayed songs day in and day out. When you think about 24/7 and how many hours there are in a week, just taking the KISN remodel stream and putting it on the air is a cop out and lackluster. Sorry that’s one opinion, mine, and if implemented I doubt it will last very long. Dave had problems getting financial support for the stream and I don’t see putting it on LPFM helping that part of the challenge.

Paul-

As far as the huge discrepancy between the WORC’s original application and what they appear to be actually planning to do, it doesn’t matter much to the FCC. It hasn’t in over 35 years. I’ve done numerous applications in the full power NCE band and even a commercial one for myself in the late 1980’s. Programming statements are just lip service. Although all the NCE applications I did, my responsibility was Section III, I read a lot of these programming statements and most of them were quite transparent. There no longer are any specific requirements with regard to content like there used to be way back. The part of it that irks me, though, is that WORC could put together something of their own doing and it wouldn’t take much budget to do it. Taking an already produced programming stream and broadcasting it on their new LPFM is in essence turning it into a translator for someone else. That is wholly outside the spirit of LPFM’s purpose. No local volunteers are getting any experience and there is no payback to the community. Few if any of the people on air voicing the KISN remodel even live anywhere around here anymore and especially if it will air 24/7, there is going to be a lot of lost opportunity. It is all canned with voice tracking that was all created a few years ago by ex KISN jocks and a lot of it was “mailed in.” This is not anywhere close to the “produced locally” or “local origination” claim in the application. What KXRY is doing is a great model of putting together a large group of volunteers and putting together some programming that a whole generation can glom on to. It could cover some of the same ground from the 1960’s without the commercial hokiness that both the original KISN and it’s remodel rely on which only result in kitschy programming that only appeals to a very small group of 50 and 60 year olds that somehow think its cute, and very few of them will actually be able to hear it over the air. In fact, LPFM licensees must air 8 hours per day of locally originating programming, however that is somewhat vague as to whether a stream from someone’s basement server that is located off site is local or not. It’s not something that would be an issue until license renewal time when someone could challenge it as not being satisfactory. See 73.872 2,3,4 http://tinyurl.com/ot8cgjq

No, I don’t know anyone over at WORC (those aren’t the egos I’m referring to), but this is a bad direction to go and I personally think the folks in the listening area around Mt. Scott aren’t going to be served at all nor will there be much of an avenue to be involved and finding underwriters will eventually wake WORC up to these facts. Look at what KMUZ, Turner has done on a low budget. They are another model to look at (although they are full service Class A, their signal is limited). They’ve got a large group of people all excited and involved. Somehow I don’t see how rebroadcasting the KISN stream as coming anywhere near as close to what they have accomplished. I don’t see it getting the community involved or excited. Not one bit. I just don’t think WORC has done its homework on this. It’s just my opinion. Time will tell. Advertising that they are going to be heard over the air in downtown is another indicator that dream of grandeur are overwhelming the cold reality of building a listenership within a three mile radius of Mt. Scott playing an automated version of something that was popular when done live 50 years ago.

Paul Tilton
    Participant

Amen!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.