KISN-LP Update

Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 113 total)
  • Author
    semoochie
    Participant

I’m sorry, Shipwreck. Were you guessing the answer as to who had possession of the KISN jingles or responding to my post by inquiring as to Bill Failing’s identity?

shipwreck
    Participant

I was guessing Bill Failing had the jingles.

jr_tech
    Participant

BC wishes…

I wish it had a little more power so I could hear it cleanly in Beaverton.

I thought that the intent was to share “KISN” programming with the west-side station… From the WORC website:

The Western Oregon Radio Club operates a low power FM Broadcast station in the S.E. Portland area. KISN 95.1FM And shares its programming with KQRZ 100.7FM.

Is that happening or going to happen? And by the way, I have not heard the WORC Aloha repeater in ages, is it officially dead?

WORC website: http://www.worc.info/

Dxer1969
    Participant

Hey Jr Tech? Happened? Is everything OK with you?

chessyduck
    Participant

Thank you WORC. So Newberg. the northeast chuck of Yamhill County and south Washington County are now without an LPFM. Apparently the KQSO-LP license was cancelled as it does not appear in the CDBS. So who’s going to step in to fill the radio void? KQSO had a killer signal, listenable even in McMinnville. I guess WORC wanted to serve the over-crowded Portland radio market with more “stuff.”

Andy Brown
    Participant

There are going to be several LPFM’s in Washington County. The FCC has changed their website and the station records no longer have map links (not sure if that’s temporary or permanent). However, there are several that come to mind including KFFP in Beaverton, one of the 96.7’s is on the west side, KQRZ in Hillsboro and one of the 101.5’s is on Bull Mtn.

Right now, there are three ways to see a CP proposed coverage. 1. Download the KML file in the station record and open it in Google Earth or any kml capable browser) or 2. Open up their Application List and read through the applications. Some of them have a need for a 2nd adj. waiver and will have a map of their location and/or coverage or 3. Enter the coordinates in Google Earth (they’ll be slightly off but close enough due to the fact that the coordinates in the FCC record are NAD27 and Google Earth speaks NAD83/WSG84. If you want precision you can convert the coordinates at NADCON. Approximate coverage is 3.5 miles (5.6 km) from the transmitter site.

http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/fmq?state=&call=&city=&arn=&serv=FL&vac=&freq=0.0&fre2=107.9&facid=&asrn=&class=&dkt=&list=1&dist=60&dlat2=45&mlat2=29&slat2=20&NS=N&dlon2=122&mlon2=41&slon2=40&EW=W&size=9

There’s also KKJC in McMinnville.

Dxer1969
    Participant

@Andy. Not that I mind exactly. I Like the old commercials and even most of the new ones. But if KISN is a non profit. How can they be allowed to even run current ads. The old? Just for nostalgia’s sake. I understand that. Do not hear any of the other non profit station running current ads. Why KISN? Anyone else can join in too. T. Hopkins?

semoochie
    Participant

Kisn runs underwriting. For it to be an actual commercial, there has to be a call to action. You can tell them what you do but you can’t say to come down and save a dollar on a dozen eggs.

Boss_Radio_1550
    Participant

Cheesyduck…

This below was taken from the KQSO Wiki page. Pretty self explanatory what happened in Newberg:

On December 25, 2014, the station signed permanently off the air due to a FM translator in Portland signing on the air on the same frequency as KQSO-LP. Due to the translator’s overpowering signal, KQSO-LP’s signal was impeded. A decision was made to cease operation. Early in 2014, the WORC applied to the FCC for another LPFM station in Portland. As such, the FCC granted the WORC a CP for KISN-LP. On May 1, 2015, KISN-LP went on the air and was subsequently licensed by the FCC.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Legally written underwriting announcements on non-commercial stations can only give information; they can’t make direct calls to action (as other posters on this thread have mentioned). This is why underwriting spots often refer listeners to the underwriter’s phone number or Website.

Other taboos in non-commercial radio underwriting are mentioning the prices of products or services or of making comparative statements (such as, “offers the best deals” or “has the tastiest pizza in town”).

Dxer1969
    Participant

Thanks for the info. Ya learn something new everyday!

Dxer1969
    Participant

Did not want to disrespect the Whitey Coker thread that Craig posted. Awesome piece! But as for me? I liked Bill Howlett. Loved his newscasts, whine and all! Nobody sounded like him! He sounded like a total nerd! But that is why I truly enjoyed the man!! We’d even do voice impressions! And I would win! Like I said, I Really liked him! You’d think he wouldn’t belong on a big top 40 station. But he was perfect!!

W7PAT
    Participant

Jr_Tech: The Aloha repeater is back on after being off for several months.

As far as the Newberg LP goes, last I heard WORC was looking for someone to buy that license.

jr_tech
    Participant

W7PAT…

Thanks much for the update!

Dxer1969
    Participant

At least on Saturday, KISN LP appears to have DJ’s. Steve LLoyd from 7pm to midnight is especially good. He sounds like he did back in the 80’s. Awesome!

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 113 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.