KISN gets on the Web

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    nosignalallnoise
    Participant

At this point (much as it troubles me to say it) the early 80s can now start to be considered “oldies” as the case may be. In fact a lot of classics from a good 40-60+ years prior were being covered and brought out of obscurity by performers in the 80s, including Taco Ockerse.

10 years ago I would have vehemently denied this, but sufficient time has passed that my generation’s music is now starting to transcending the realm. At 37 what does that make me?

Alfredo_T
    Participant

“At 37 what does that make me?”

• scared
    • feeling over-the-hill

Generation-X is over 40, and some of it is in its 50s. The older Millennials are crossing the age 40 threshold now. As this happens, I think that the cultural gaps between Generation-X, Millennials, and “Generation-Z” will become more noticeable.

As an aside, I was slightly surprised (but not excessively so) to hear Taco Ockerse’s cover of “Putting on the Ritz” on Sunny 1520 shortly before that station became La Gran D. In that era, nostalgia formatted stations were starting to add some MOR hits from the early 1980s and 1970s.

Screamer
    Participant

If “Classic Rock” or “Classic Hits” become such at 25 years, we should be hearing songs from 1996 in those formats.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

AM Only used to play Taco’s “Putting on the Ritz” occasionally back in the day, as I recall. I remember first hearing it in the early to mid 90s, when it was still running on 910. It was one of the extreme few recent-ish cuts and I think one of the even fewer (if not the only) new wave cuts they played at the time. I think it was mostly Ed Brand (about my mom’s age AFAIK, so probably came of age when it was popular) and Jeff Rollins who ran it… doubt Chick Watkins would have ever been caught dead putting it on the air himself!

When Chick retired as PD in the late 2000s and Carl Southcott replaced him, that’s when they really went to town adding late 70s/80s/early 90s soft rock and MOR to the library.

(Just my own observations, FWIW.)

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.