KISN gets on the Web

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    nosignalallnoise
    Participant

Yeah, any superhet AM rig with a 455 kHz IF does it on 910. It may be less pronounced on better systems (like stereo tuners) because of tighter filtering and beat cancellation that may be minimal or absent in cheaper tuners, but it’s still there. Self-interference isn’t just limited to low-end receivers; it’s part of the physics of superheterodyne receivers.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I still rack my brain over all the possible ways that internal signals in a superheterodyne radio can make their way back to the RF stage and cause heterodynes. The makers of one Japanese receiver IC called this deficiency “tweet.”

Car radios often used intermediate frequencies near 260 kHz. In my recollection, the nominal IF for variable-inductance tuned radios was 262.5 kHz. The IF in our 1986 Dodge Caravan (with AM stereo) was 255 kHz. I determined the latter when I discovered that parking the minivan a few blocks from a 1230 kHz transmitter site produced an image at 720 kHz. These low intermediate frequencies have the benefit of placing the 2x intermediate frequency birdie out-of-band.

I once had a chance to look inside that Caravan radio, and I saw that they were using the tall, old-fashioned IF cans. Radios moved to 450 or 455 kHz when ceramic filters became the norm. However, it is my understanding that extremely low IF techniques have made a comeback in the current generation of DSP-based radios; the mixer in these radios is of an image-reject design, so the tradeoff between the value of the intermediate frequency and image rejection doesn’t exist.

chessyduck
    Participant

CBC Nova Scotia posted in this news story. Several classic radio studios:

“N.S. radio enthusiast turns basement into replica studio”

There’s no denying Bob Cooke’s passion for radio. The Lower Sackville man used to work in the business back in the mid-1970s and now, it’s likely he has the largest collection of radio gear in Canada. CBC’s Colleen Jones reports.

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1844646467924

Enjoy!

davidm
    Participant

Didn’t see if others posted this: KQRZ 100.7 Hillsboro streaming now, with playlist WOO HOO! I guess LP is the new “underground” radio, which apparently is another vestige of my OG past. Anyone remember “Subterradio 88.7 from, I think it was, the late 1990s? Great station, picked it up when I lived in Goose Hollow, got replaced by a Christian station.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

^– Dan, any reason why WordPress ate my post (49481)? It was doing that earlier in this thread which is why I ended up having to link to it externally as a text file.

You said you had fixed the SPAM filter problem over a year ago. Why is it still doing this?

Andy Brown
    Participant

Perhaps you included more than 3 links. Posts with more than 3 links are swallowed, at least based on my experience.

semoochie
    Participant

Is KICN-LP still simulcasting KQRZ? I assumed that they would eventually simulcast KISN-LP. I retired from my transportation job 16 months ago and don’t get out that way anymore or much of anywhere else, for that matter!

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

Okay, let’s see if this finally works:

When I launch the KISN-LP stream I get the pop-up “Welcome to our Internet stream! This station is not streaming to your geographic area at the moment. You can interact with most of the player features, but will not be able to hear the audio stream. Please check back later, or contact the station if you have questions.” [CONTINUE] Button.

cheesyduck—

Try loading the stream directly into VLC/Winamp: https://ice6.securenetsystems.net/KISNLP (or https://107.155.123.36/KISNLP)

KQRZ’s stream is on https://ice24.securenetsystems.net/KQRZ (or https://198.255.56.180/KQRZ)

Both are 32Kb 48kHz AAC. I don’t know if they have MP3 streams (probably not).

If the DNS URLs I gave above don’t work try the IP numbers. IP can sometimes be used to get around firewalls. And if that still doesn’t work, start molotoving the local headend until they finally give in. Fuckin’ Comcastards.

ear them fine but their computer audio could be hosted in Northern Virginia for all I know..)

Traceroute ($ traceroute ice6.securenetsystems.net), observed from a Centurycunt VDSL2+ connection in ORCHWA01DS0 and hosted in Portland, shows HIVELOCITY.ear4.Seattle1.Level3.net (4.4.44.94) plus 24 “*” hops after that so I would assume it’s located in Seattle and those queries after that must be routers in their network. ice24’s traceroute (the KQRZ stream) comes up with core15.aggr0.chi02.fdcservers.net which appears to be either in Chicago.

FYI, northwesterners don’t say “OG”. That’s a Commiefornia thing.

chessyduck
    Participant

Both audio streams work in the direct URL mode… I will have to try the playe mode again

chessyduck
    Participant

I can confirm both KQRZ and KISN audio players are successfully working from my remote site, complete with album art, song titles, etc. Thank you for troubleshooting the issue…. Keep on KISN!

semoochie
    Participant

Can someone who lives or drives on the west side, please confirm whether or not KICN-LP 96.7 is still simulcasting KQRZ?

jr_tech
    Participant

At this moment, 96.7 and 100.7 have the same programming.

semoochie
    Participant

Thank you, they must have been doing this for about two years, from the same tower! I originally thought it was to test the equipment before originating their own programing or simulcasting Kisn. I wonder why they would continue to lease the tower and remain on the air, if there’s no possible benefit! Am I missing something?

chessyduck
    Participant

I looked up the KQRZ/KICN combiner paperwork submitted by WORC in 2019… It looks like KQRZ squeezed a few more square kilometers of total coverage out of the upgrade… nice engineering work!

From the FCC application for KQRZ ..
    “THE MAIN REASON FOR A CHANGE IN TPO IS THE INSTALLATION OF A COMBINER THAT WILL ENABLE MORE THAN ONE STATION TO SHARE THE ANTENNA. THE COMBINER INTRODUCES A NEW 3.0 DB LOSS. THE TRANSMISSION LINE LOSS HAS ALSO CHANGED.

THE NEW TPO CALCULATION IS:
    ANTENNA GAIN (LOSS) (DBD)= -3.4 DB
    FEED LINE LOSS (DB) (LDF4 COAX) = -0.7 DB
    JUMPER, CONNECTOR, LIGHTNING ARRESTOR, & FILTER LOSSES = -3.7 DB
    COMBINER LOSS = -3.0 DB
    TOTAL LOSSES = -10.8 DB

ERP = -20 DBK = 10 WATTS
    TPO = -20+10.8 = -9.2 DBK = 120 WATTS

semoochie
    Participant

Has anyone noticed that Kisn has started adding 80s songs? I don’t mean the core artists songs but rather ones that are compatible with what they’re already playing. I heard, “Puttin’ On the Ritz”, for instance.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.