KISN gets on the Web

Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    tombrooks
    Participant

The day of KISN radio on the Web is almost here! Both Ken and Dave have been testing for weeks getting things ready. We had to get new PC’s, software, and are waiting for more PC’s!! Plus, we got a New Fiber-Optic line to our studio which will improve reliability. It’s still a “works in progress” as all artwork isn’t synchronized yet. We didn’t want you to wait any longer! So, we’re rolling it out anyway! The team is working hard to bring you the great music from the 50’s, 60’s, and 70’s no matter where you are!

WHEN YOU ASK? Monday Morning January 4th! @ 6:00 AM. Just go to our GoodGuyRadio.com HOME page. At the bottom of the screen will be the player for you to click on. Some phones will need you to manually start the player. Just hit the RED arrow. Wait for the page to load. You may then need to hit the BLACK arrow to start the music! The GoodGuys thank you for your patience!!!

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

“We’re Kisn all over the planet.”

mwdxer1
    Participant

That is great news! Living on the Northern OR Coast, I cannot receive the flea powered FM transmitters from Portland. Too many mountains between us. A few FM translators from Longview come in. Hopefully KISN will be my Grace Digital wifi radio.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

Let’s see:

KISN 0.9 – KVAN before 1959

1.0 – original Star Stations 1960s-1970s 910

2.0A R1 – KKSN-FM 97.1 1988-2005
    2.0A R2 – KKSN 910 2005-2007
    2.0B – KKSN “Sunny 910/1520” (AM Only affiliates)

3.0 – 2012-2014 revival stream

4.0 – 2015-present KQSO low-power FM revival
    4.1 – forthcoming stream? Could be considered 4.01 if it’s just going to simulcast KQSO.

semoochie
    Participant

If you’re just looking for things that applied to the Kisn brand, you missed a few: After returning to the air with Brave New Radio(Progressive)they switched to AC for awhile before Classical and the first run at AM Only. Then, it was Oldies that began an FM simulcast six months later. Sometime after that, they changed the AM back to AM Only and when Kisn FM went away, switched to their newfound Classic Hits format and quickly back to Oldies, for about two years. That appeared to be the end of the brand until the online effort.

What is KQSO?

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

What is KQSO

Should have said WORC. I was in a hurry.

Also, I only listed the major revisions of KISN/KKSN as what today would be considered an “oldies” format (50s/60s/early 70s pop), or what KISN 1.0 played, in my version list. I suppose I could have listed all the minor revisions and patches you did if I had had a couple extra hours earlier this morning to do research.

In fact, I see that AM Only (2.0B) should have been listed between 2.0A R1 and R2 since 97.1 and AM Only both debuted approximately the same time (i.e. when I was in preschool), with the KKSN oldies format moving to 910 when Entercom foolishly flipped 97.1 to the abomination it still is today.

semoochie
    Participant

97.1 and 910 switched to Soft AC and AM Only respectively on the same day because of an ongoing bankruptcy procedure. A few months later, on August 1st 1987, KKSN 910 switched to Oldies to take on KSGO 1520. In February 1988, they began a simulcast on 97.1(Surprisingly, I was listening to 97.1, when I heard them announce the change would take place in a few minutes!)that continued until KYTE 970 dropped Adult Standards, at which point they went back to AM Only. The first run of AM Only was unsuccessful because KYTE just played Standards, not intermingled with soft oldies and given a choice, the audience was not interested in wading through the oldies to get to the standards. Remember, this was 1987. A 25 year-old song was from 1962 and a 50 year-old song, 1937!

I think Entercom was too quick to react to Kisn’s format adjustment. The first ratings book didn’t look that good but when the next book came out, shortly after the format change, it looked promising. If they had kept the format, it’s unlikely that the Kisn brand would continue another ten years.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by semoochie.
    semoochie
    Participant

I have the Kisn stream on now and it sounds great!

chessyduck
    Participant

The KISN-LP folks must have geo-fenced the stream…

This is what I get :

“Welcome to our Internet stream! This station is not streaming to your geographic area at the moment”

tombrooks
    Participant

CHESSYDUCK Let me research that and see what I can find out – what area are you in?

So you are going to GoodGuyRadio.com and pulling up the Stream and this is what you are getting:“Welcome to our Internet stream! This station is not streaming to your geographic area at the moment” Is that correct ?

Thanks, I’ll wait for your response.

chessyduck
    Participant

I am an exiled Oregonian living on the East Coast – and another victom of Comcast’s hegemony.

When I launch the KISN-LP stream I get the pop-up “Welcome to our Internet stream! This station is not streaming to your geographic area at the moment. You can interact with most of the player features, but will not be able to hear the audio stream. Please check back later, or contact the station if you have questions.” [CONTINUE] Button.

I am then presented with the player page, album art and all. Interesting, the same geoblocking occurs with KQRZ-LP as well but I remember a time when I could stream 100.7 . (KXXP also uses the same streaming provider – I hear them fine but their computer audio could be hosted in Northern Virginia for all I know..)

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

You’ve gotta’ make it easer to find on the homepage. Tiny red arrow at the bottom of the page, then tiny gray arrow somewhere in the upper right. After I finally found the red arrow I just thought I didn’t have any audio.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

When I launch the KISN-LP stream I get the pop-up “Welcome to our Internet stream! This station is not streaming to your geographic area at the moment. You can interact with most of the player features, but will not be able to hear the audio stream. Please check back later, or contact the station if you have questions.” [CONTINUE] Button.

cheesyduck–

I posted the direct stream URLs but this crappy broken software keeps eating my post. Maybe someday Dan will upgrade to a real BBS server like Simple Machines that doesn’t constantly have this problem.

Anyways, I guess I can still do this:
    http://mistman.pdp10.org/pub/pdxradio/post49240.txt

What a way to post a reply…

chessyduck
    Participant

Thank You! Both “direct” audio URLs work. I grew up listening to the KISN, remembering even seeing s Good Guys sticker on some remote fencepost near Fossil, Oregon… they were everywhere.

Cheap transistor radios used to produce heterodynes, either from the 2x455kHz IF beating against the 910 carrier or a 10Khz het with then-KGAL. You knew you were listening to KISN….

(Now your KQRZ, KISNLP fancy players don’t work… perhaps you can just post the direct URLs to the appropriate websites along with click-throughs to the players.)

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by chessyduck.
    semoochie
    Participant

It wasn’t just cheap radios, just about any, other than some car radios that had a different IF frequency. Both of our Magnavox Color TV combinations did so and it seems to me that my AM-FM tuner did also.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.