KINK's "Lights Out" innovator, Scott Carter, dies

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio KINK's "Lights Out" innovator, Scott Carter, dies

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Chris_Taylor
    Participant

I’ve just learned that Scott Carter died in late 2015 but have no further info.

I had been in touch with Scott over the past 10 or so years and only knew that he lived in LA working in film but also taught a radio broadcasting course at some college or high school. Can’t recall.

I met Scott as a high school kid when I worked the request lines at KGW radio, just down the hall and through the double doors to KINK. I remember sitting in the KINK studio when Scott did Lights Out, on a few occasions, with all the lights literally off and the studio only lit by candle light. Kind of cool, even for a high school kid.

I hope Craig Adams can find more information about his passing and what he was doing up to that point, as well.

mike_kolb
    Participant

This, from the PCC Students In Broadcasting blog, dated 2012:

Scott Carter has been in the broadcast field for many years and remains extremely passionate about the field. His passion for broadcasting began when he was very young. At 12-years-old Scott and his friend Charlie starting producing their own radio shows on tape to learn the business. After high school Scott attended USC majoring in Broadcasting. While attending college he worked as an Audio Editor and Producer for KUSC-LA special broadcasts. He also served as a Studio Anchor for KUSC’s live sports broadcasts, coordinating live and taped broadcasts from reporters at multiple remote locations. Also while attending college he worked at KFAC-AM & FM in Los Angeles as a morning News Editor. While in Los Angeles he also worked at KUTE-FM LA as an Announcer and Broadcast Engineer.

After being a student for several years, Scott was called into active duty with the Navy and Marine Corps. Upon returning to civilian life he went back to school at San Francisco State. From there he was hired at KINK-FM in Portland, Oregon. He was the Production Manager and Evening Air Personality. At KINK-FM he had one of the highest rated evening shows in Portland radio. He created a late-night program Lights Out, today considered one of KINK’s “signature” programs. He also produced news, public service announcements, interviews and special feature programs.

His next radio position was at KXL-AM in Portland, Oregon. He was the Midday News/Talk Host. He conducted 14 live interviews of movie/TV stars, authors, celebrities, political, civic and business leaders during a 5-hour shift each day. He conducted over 7,000 interviews in 2 years, During his first 6 months he was a general assignment News Reporter and studio anchor for KXL’s afternoon drive-time news.

His career took a slightly different turn, as Scott became the Executive Assistant to the Oregon State School Superintendent. In this position he acted as Media Spokesman for the Superintendent, wrote speeches, prepared correspondences and supervised a variety of state, federal and civic programs.

Around this time Scott encountered some changes in his life which led him back to Southern California. While back in California he worked as a technical writer and still does to this day. He also started teaching at PCC in the TVR field. Also at the same time he collaborated with a friend to start ScottsLA.com, which is a website catering to audio driving tours of Pasadena, Hollywood and Los Angeles.

Scott has many memorable experiences working in the broadcasting field. When asked to recount one he mentioned meeting Rafer Johnson and being handed the Olympic Torch by him in 1984. Two other special moments for him are going to Henry Fonda’s house to conduct an interview and doing a show on a blimp.

During Scott’s time developing his career he had a mentor by the name of Richard W. Joy. Also known as Dick Joy. Dick provided strong support and advice to Scott throughout the years. When Scott asked Dick how he could ever repay him for all he has done for him, Dick replied “Pass it on.” Which is exactly what Scott has done here at PCC. This motivation from Dick inspired Scott to pursue a teaching profession. Scott was drafted by a teacher at PCC to come on board and teach in the TVR department in 2003.

Scott says he doesn’t necessarily have a teaching philosophy. He feels that if a student has a desire, he wants to help them bring their skill level up for employment. Scott says the benefits of the TVR program at PCC are evident in how much material and the content of the material that is taught in the program. He says if the student has dreams and passion he will give them the skills for them to succeed, as well as helping them come to realistic expectations. He says employers want to know what you can do, how fast you can do it and how good you are at it.

The success of the students says a lot in itself. Just to mention a few are Nicky G, whom works at POWER 106, Dan Patronillo who works at KROQ, Bruna Nessif who works at E!Online and Austin Andrews who works at CBS Radio Stations KNX and KFWB.

Scott has this piece of advice for students, “If you don’t have the passion, go sell insurance.” And a great piece of advice he was given, “If you’re not early, you’re late.”

Aside from life as a teacher and technical writer, Scott is most importantly a father to his son Matt. Whom he has structured his life and career around to make sure he was the best father he could be.

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

I found Scott’s Facebook page, too.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Sorry to hear about this. Scott Carter passed away on New Year Eve or the day before. Here are the years Scott worked at Portland stations:

KINK 1974-77.
    KXL 1982-84.
    KOAP-FM 1984.

Alan Budwill
    Participant

What a funny and talented soul. I worked with Scott at KXL. A very positive person to be around. Skilled at so many things and willing to share. I always remember the barbers chair he used to keep in his living room.

Jim Bickel
    Participant

Scott and I worked together at KXL for a few years back in the mid-80’s. The day he was “let-go”(when he left for lunch) they asked me to takeover the show. Despite the potential friction that could have been created we remained friends for 30 years. I will miss him.

Waynes World
    Participant

I miss lights out especially the ocean sets I guess those days are gone forever

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Pasadena City College, students, faculty, and colleagues gathered to celebrate the life of Lancer Radio advisor and broadcasting instructor Scott Carter, a beloved father, friend, mentor and teacher. Posted January 22, 2016:

http://www.pcccourier.com/features/carter.html

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

Most excellent. I would have loved to have been there.

Waynes World
    Participant

that was on HD2 I thought

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.