KGW Test?

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    mwdxer1
    Participant

Interesting, this evening I was scanning our local translators here on the Northern Oregon Coast. I did a complete scan, covering our 5 translators, but one came out rather interesting. I got the regular 8.1 KGW / 8.2 /8.3, but when I checked the channels out after the scan, I found two extra channels, via KGW (We get on a translator ch 17-Megler Mt). I got the three channels, but also scanned in 17.6 & 17.7. No picture, just a blank screen. It looks like they may be testing the system. A couple hours later, I could no longer find 17.6 /17.7. Some of the others may be testing out the system early too.

washnotore
    Participant

I can confirm with my TSReader Lite. That the mother ship in Portland. Shows that PSIP data is active for RF subchannels 8.6 and 8.7 in a testing mode only. There is no video streams setup yet.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Good. I was wondering if my tuner was kicking some erroneous glitches. Thanks for letting me know.

msndrspdx
    Participant

If KGW is testing 8.6 and 8.7, one has to wonder what they’re planning to use then for. Making KGWZ available to the translators comes to mind as one possibility. The other might be LX, which is still listed on LX’s website as going out on KOXI. Or, of course, they could be planing for new subchannels later this month. If they’re reserving one for KGWZ, one wonders what that will carry. One other thing: Once the 3.0 signals go on air, I’d assume Comcast will carry them. Just got a new 4K equipped TV recently and I’m watching for announcements from them about that.

mwdxer1
    Participant

I figure since there was a carrier on just two diginets I thought of the 49 mux Mystery & Grit. I have an idea that KATU & KOIN will be testing soon too, as the date is a bit over 2 weeks away.

washnotore
    Participant

TSReader PSIP Data Sample in beta mode configuration

Channel 0
    Service Name: Escape
    TSID: 2425 (0x0979) VCh: 8 RFCh: 8 KGW PORTLAND, OR
    Channel Number: 49.2
    Carrier Frequency: 0
    Modulation Mode: ATSC (8 VSB)
    Source ID: 4
    Service Type: ATSC digital television
    Hidden: 1 Hide Guide: 0

Great way to send a tracer over fiber optics and microwave relay. To all the translators outside the main viewing area.

msndrspdx
    Participant

Comcast Portland just added Court TV Mysteries off KPDX, their first significant addition in awhile to their lineup of subchannels. My new cable bill includes a new channel lineup chart. With all the various tiers, it takes four pages to read them all. Nothing yet about adding the 3.0 channels; I imagine that the announcement on that should be coming fairly soon.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.