KFBW-HD3-K279BO "Tailgate Country" Considers Flip

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio KFBW-HD3-K279BO "Tailgate Country" Considers Flip

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

KFBW-HD3-K279BO/Portland, OR Considers Flip From ‘Tailgate Country’ To Classic Country

iHEARTMEDIA Country KFBW-HD3-K279BO (TAILGATE COUNTRY 103.7)/PORTLAND, OR stunted TODAY (5/23) with Classic Country from 12a until 12p (PT). The station is trying the Classic Country model on for size and has asked listeners to weigh in on the switch.

“You may have heard TAILGATE COUNTRY go 100% Classic Country from midnight to noon on [MONDAY], MAY 23rd,” the station said via its website. “We did this as a bit of an experiment, and now we want your feedback!” A survey is attached to the page asking listeners how they would feel about a switch to Classic Country. Will TAILGATE COUNTRY make the flip permanent? Is it out with the party and in with the patriarchs? Only time will tell.

semoochie
    Participant

There’ a Subway in my neighborhood that plays Tailgate Country on the speakers. I’ve been there twice lately and heard it both times. It’s the first time I’ve heard it anywhere.

fieldstrength
    Participant

I would personally love to have a classic-leaning country format on the air in Portland. I’ve wished that one of the AMs would adopt the format. That doesn’t mean that I think it will be a ratings winner – just that I would enjoy it.

W7PAT
    Participant

Yes !!!!!!!

semoochie
    Participant

If they focus on Garth Brooks and beyond, it just might work, although some of the major “Urban Cowboy” crossovers would probably be fine.

Scott Young
    Participant

KISN on 95.1 has been running a classic country show from 9 to 10am Sunday mornings for a little over a month now. The show sounds good and is a closer fit to the oldies format than I thought it would be. Must be a lot of boomers who were raised on country against their will due to their parents not surrendering control of the car radio. I find I’m a lot more tolerant of classic country now than I ever was in my younger days.

semoochie
    Participant

This sounds like a really bad idea to me! The idea of programing music that a percentage of the parents of 60 year-olds used to like, does not strike me as a recipe for success! One can only hope that when people hear it, they won’t think that’s the regular format and never come back!

Scott Young
    Participant

That was exactly my reaction too, when the idea was first presented. But think about this…for the boomers who grew up with parents who liked country, what kind of memories do you think classic country triggers for them now? Does it really just remind them of how much they hated country when they were kids, or does it more remind them of their parents who loved it, and who may well have passed away by now? Now I’m not one who grew up with that experience, but when I hear country music from my youth now I can understand why so many of my parents’ generation loved it. And when heard through my now almost 60 year old ears, it really doesn’t sound THAT far from the mainstream pop I listened to as a kid. I grant you it’s a programming risk but I don’t think it’s the guaranteed disaster it looks like at first glance, especially if it’s well executed and clearly branded between every song.

I’d love to see another LPFM do classic country full time. I think the format would find a loyal audience just like KISN has.

Broadway
    Participant
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.