KEX and KUIK

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 29 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Dxer1969 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author

892R
    Participant

This is actually two questions in the form of one. Why does Brad Ford sound better on KUIK than KEX. Heard him do a story on KUIK News, locking out with his name and “KUIK NEWS”. And the audio quality on 1360 was much better than the digital distortion I heard on his KEX newscast a few minutes later. I’m hearing that distortion most all the time on KEX. What gives? (BTW Brad began his commercial radio career on KUIK back in the late 80s)

semoochie
    Participant

Did KEX ever remove the 5KHz limit from its HD days? That could certainly have something to do with it.

892R
    Participant

The other part of the question is why is Brad doing news stories for KUIK?

And is anyone else experiencing the harsh quality of KEX Audio? I get it on my car radios and the Sangean receiver in my office.

JBM
    Participant

That is a good question! Ron Callan appears on Rip City Radio 620, KPAM, and he did play-by-play for the Portland Thunder on 750/102.9 The Game; if my understanding is correct, after he was laid-off as a full-time employee, he essentially became a freelancer or contractor, so while he still appears as the KPAM “Sports Insider” and fills in for Tim Hohl in the mornings, he is essentially free to do other things. Brad Ford is another matter; maybe KUIK is paying KEX to get some local news updates, or perhaps his contract with KEX changed. Anyone know what’s really going on?

Dxer1969
    Participant

Yep, it is strange that Brad Ford, the new director at KEX would be helping out the 2nd local morning show with their newcasts. But wait! Isn’t KEX going to cancel their morning show soon? Maybe Brad wanted to cover his bases. Better KUIK then nothing.

stevewa
    Participant

Well, there is history there.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

KEX returned to ~10 kHz audio bandwidth years ago, when they discontinued broadcasting IBOC. I recall that circa 2005, Clear Channel did implement a corporate policy of restricting analog audio bandwidth to 5 kHz at its AM stations, regardless of whether IBOC was being broadcast or not. Since then, the policy has either been withdrawn, or it has been forgotten.

Dxer1969
    Participant

Perhaps it is because 620/1190 share the same tower system. I work out at 181st between 1 84 and Sandy Blvd. 1080/910 also share towers. And 910 sounded like crap, especially after nighttime. Liked it better when each station had its own tower system! They just sounded better and were more powerful. Might be nothing. Just my observations. But at least, 910 doesn’t have that whine anymore. When 910 was KISN back before 9/1/76,it always had that whine. Even during the day. At night though, I lost the signal halfway thru Oregon City. And then, all I could hear was the whine. And now, KEX has this hum. Even worse then that whine was. Annoying!

jimbo
    Participant

That “whine” on the old KISN @910 had nothing to do with tower arrangements. Radios back then had IF frequency or 455 kHz. Twice that is 910 and that is why you had that whistle/whine.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I think that KUIK may still be using an analog microwave STL. Their audio processing is likely very different from what the iHeart stations are using.

I made some observations about the 620/1190 audio in the “AM Radio” thread a few hours ago. After writing those comments, I flipped to KUIK. At the time, KUIK was running a syndicated show, and there were no local spots. Thus, I could not tell with certainty whether the artifacts that I heard in KUIK’s audio were present in the program source. In the past, I have noted that the audio that comes from KUIK’s studios is artifact and distortion-free, and that it is only some of the syndicated shows that have ratty audio.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Some of those syndicated via satellite delivery programs are highly compressed so as to fit more streams in the uplink and maximize data within the transponder bandwidth. Especially talk programming.

Dxer1969
    Participant

@andy, Alfredo & Jumbo. Thanks for the explanations. Much appreciated!

jr_tech
    Participant

“I think that KUIK may still be using an analog microwave STL.”

Just checked…950.50 seems to still be in operation. It is quite weak here today, likely due to wet trees and wet antenna.

DarkStar
    Participant

I really don’t see them switching out that analog STL anytime soon either. It still has the same whine on it too that’s existed for the last 10+ years. 🙂

Chico
    Participant

Back when Seattle’s KIXI was on 910, they actually occasionally made fun of the 910 whine by calling it the “KIXI Whistle” on the air. If you can’t beat ’em….

BTW, the “IXI” in the calls was a poor man’s version of 91 in roman numerals. I know KATU of course, but are/were there any other calls in the Portland market that made a play on the frequency? I am drawing a blank.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by  Chico.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.