KDZR "Radio Disney" Sold To Salem For $275,000

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio KDZR "Radio Disney" Sold To Salem For $275,000

Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

Radio Disney Sells Five To Salem

RADIO DISNEY has found a buyer for five more of its stations, and it’s SALEM MEDIA GROUP. RADIO DISNEY has filed sales contracts with the FCC, showing it selling KDIZ-A/GOLDEN VALLEY, MN-MINNEAPOLIS to SALEM’s COMMON GROUND BROADCASTING, INC. for $375,000; KDDZ-A/ARVADA-DENVER to SALEM MEDIA OF COLORADO, INC. for $550,000; KDZR-A/LAKE OSWEGO-PORTLAND, OR to SALEM MEDIA OF OREGON, INC. for $275,000; WSDZ-A/BELLEVILLE, IL-ST. LOUIS to SALEM’s CARON BROADCASTING, INC. for $275,000; and WWMI-A/ST. PETERSBURG-TAMPA, FL to SALEM’s SOUTH TEXAS BROADCASTING, INC. for $750,000.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Yawn.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I am a bit excited about this because I had been routinely checking 1640 kHz for programming changes. I had been starting to think that KDZR had become a “forgotten” station (I say that with tongue firmly planted in cheek).

The part that I do find remarkable is that the $275,000 price tag is for the license and possibly for some broadcast equipment. Crawford broadcasting owns the tower, land, and building from which KDZR broadcasts.

Broadway
    Participant

What will be interesting will be formats picked for each market/station…where is there an audience?

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I wonder if there is a remote possibility that Salem will attempt a Spanish language news/talk format on 1640. Years ago, Bustos tried that on 1010 with “W Radio.”

jay_zie
    Participant

ESPN Deportes would be a good option for Salem’s KDZR. Spanish Oldies would be another option or even a Spanish Religious format

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

Could it be one of the formats listed on this page? Nah.
    http://salemmedia.com/radio-main-page/radio-stations/

semoochie
    Participant

The most likely possibility is to bring back the Conservative Talk that was once on 93.1 and 910 as KTRO. A thought just occurred to me: As poorly as AM gets out these days, it seems reasonable that 1640 could be a simulcast of KPDQ-AM. The stronger parts of the signals probably wouldn’t overlap much if any.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

After looking though Salem’s format portfolio (see link above), I suspect that Spanish language Christian ministry programming is the most likely choice.

semoochie
    Participant

I suspect that Spanish speaking people are likely to be Catholic.

Jeffrey Kopp
    Participant

Evangelicalism is trending up among Hispanics in the U.S.

Broadway
    Participant

Already covered to a degree with the rim shot KXPC-FM 90.3 MHz Welches, Oregon Mt.Hood site “Radio Nueva Vida”

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I think that it does not matter that only a minority of Spanish speakers are Evangelical Protestants. What matters is that there is are plenty of Evangelical churches and ministry organizations that are willing to buy airtime on radio stations that broadcast Spanish language programming. In addition to 90.3, we have 1230 KRYN “La Radio de la Familia” and 660 KXOR “Radio Zion.” However, I do not know whether any of these stations operate on a time brokerage model.

About 10 years ago, KKPZ broadcast an evening block of Spanish language programming branded as “Radio Vida.” This was time-brokered programming, mainly produced by Portland area churches and ministries; people from the churches would either come in to the studio to broadcast or they would drop off pre-recorded programs in person. While I board-opped KKPZ, there were some unsold blocks of airtime that were filled with music or with Spanish language versions of popular syndicated programs such as “En Contacto” (Charles Stanley), Luis Palau, and “A Traves de la Biblia” (Dr. J. Vernon McGee).

Craig_Adams
    Participant

RADIO DISNEY IS GONE IN SEATTLE – This from All Access:

Desi 1250 Launches On KKDZ/Seattle

CHARLIE BANTA and SANDRA MILLER’s UNIVERSAL MEDIA ACCESS has taken over RADIO DISNEY’s KKDZ-A/SEATTLE after buying it for $500,000 and has flipped the facility to a South Asian format as DESI 1250.

The new format signed on THURSDAY (9/17).

Alfredo_T
    Participant

It would be really cool if we had a Bollywood and Bhangra music formatted radio station. I don’t think that this is in the cards for 1640, unfortunately.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.