KDZR 1640

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    vrooms
    Participant

Saturday 11/14/2015 at 2PM tuned in 1640 and was hearing Christian talk radio. SNR news at 2:30 PM. 2:59 PM program ended with then open carrier for 10 minutes. Was able to hear KDIA Bay Area with call letter ID. 3:09 PM back to Christian talk radio. Today Radio Disney on KDZR. What’s up?

boisebill
    Participant

Prob just testing the program link.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

This gives us a pretty good indication of what the new format will be. No, it won’t be sports.

Chico
    Participant

This station has great daytime coverage; my work travels cover the northern and eastern Seattle suburbs, and I can hear 1640 pretty much clear (well, as clear as one can expect, anyway) in most locations. It helps that there are no other co-channels anywhere in the NW. And our local 1620 has a terrible signal. There is a 1650 TIS that does mess up KDZR but only for about a 3 mile area.

If I had a more selective setup I might hear a few other PDX stations in the daytime, but from where I am 860 gets splattered by local 880 and 850, 750 by the local 770, 1190 by local 1210. This is on my crap VW stock radio with shark fin antenna, which could be at least part of the issue.

semoochie
    Participant

Are you talking about Critical Hours coverage because I can’t imagine them going very far in the daytime, since they barely cover Portland. This reminds me that about 40 years ago, I listened every morning to Don Wade on KTAC, from my vantage point at the old Multnomah County Fairgrounds in Gresham, when I was guarding the place. The signal, using the old telescoping antenna on the 1968 Ford Ranch Wagon, was rock solid! By the way, if I can get 710, 770 is usually no problem. I know I used to receive 750 on the north end of Seattle.

semoochie
    Participant

KDZR was still Radio Disney this morning but off the air in the afternoon.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

KDZR is still off the air as of Sunday afternoon. There is no carrier. I suspect that this means that the new 1640 is coming Monday. Goodbye, Radio Disney Portland! πŸ™

Borderblaster
    Participant

What now, the usual suspects will start gushing about the β€œnew” station programming until format tedium sets in.

Joe
    Participant

This might provide some clues: http://tunein.com/radio/Talk-1640-s34628/

Clinton
    Participant

Well, I guess this leaves us with three stations (KKOV, KBMS and KBPS) presenting formats that are largely music related on AM (in English, at least). There actually may be a music program or two still being carried on KXPD, but I’m not quite sure about that, since they seem to have made some program lineup changes recently.

You can be sure of one thing. You probably won’t be hearing much music on the new 1640.

Looks like I’ll be looking for a new music station to play at my office. I had my work office radio on Radio Disney primarily because 1640 is one of the few frequencies on AM or FM that do not seem to get bombarded with interference from all the computers, and other office machines I work around.

Guess we’ll se how Salem Media does with their format on 1640. Not being much of a conservative talk radio fan myself, I probably won’t be spending too much time listening.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Very early this morning, I heard two stations on 1640. The stronger of the two was running English-language religious programs (most likely KDIA Vallejo, CA). There was another station playing Spanish-language Christmas music (most likely KBJA Sandy, UT). After sunrise, I confirmed that our local 1640 is still off the air.

Dxer1969
    Participant

Too bad about 1640. My grandchildren liked them. And now what? Dead air. Or more yuck!

Chico
    Participant

Semoochie-

Sorry, never really answered your question. There is nothing north of your 1640 to the north pole I guess on that frequency, which really helps. In rural areas with little technological interference, I indeed can listen to 1640 Lake Oswego in the daytime, at least in the winter, northeast of Seattle on my car radio. My car radio has some form of DSP, so it takes a second to lock-in, but it is marginally listenable. It is the only Portland area AM I can hear at all in the daytime.

I used to also be able to get 1530 KFBK Sacramento during the winter at times in the afternoon, but we had a station sign on at 1520 with AM IBOC about 7 miles from my house, so that went away. As you can imagine.

semoochie
    Participant

Bruce Murdock reported that he heard 620 on a Seattle freeway shortly after they increased power from 5KW and as I said, I used to hear 750 up there.

Chico
    Participant

There may be parts of town, like in Seattle itself, where 620 still comes in clear daytimes. I am far too close to 630 KCIS in my normal driving range to get 620. I will check on 750 later today but usually 770 KTTH burrows into that one.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.