KDUN

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    W7PAT
    Participant

From Radio Insight:

Premiere Networks’ syndicated evening host Delilah Rene is acquiring the station where her career began.

Rene’s Big Shoes Productions will pay Charles Contreras’ Post Rock Communications $60,000 for Oldies 1030 KDUN Reedsport OR. The deal gives Rene her hometown station, where she began her radio career while in junior high and high school.

KDUN serves the Coos Bay market along the Oregon coast and operates with 50kW day and 630 watts night.

boisebill
    Participant

She may end up with a worthless steaming pile.
    It’s been off the air for years.
    Buyer beware.

semoochie
    Participant

It’s worth $60K for the publicity alone!

When Delilah was there it was probably still on 1470.

• This reply was modified 4 days, 19 hours ago by semoochie.
    mwdxer1
    Participant

I wonder when they will return to the air? Fairly strong up here on the North Coast during the day. Weak at night. I used to get the old KRAF 1470 back in the 60s. The station has quite the history….

Notalent
    Participant

50kw transmitter = $3k to 4k per month electric bill.

Best of luck to Delilah. Let’s hope she has the deep pockets to make that work.

Broadway
    Participant

Think their tx is a Harris DX 50

Steve Naganuma
    Participant
    chessyduck
    Participant

Youtube has the KDUN 50kw video… from happier times.

Possibly a Nautel…

boisebill
    Participant

It’s a Nautel XL60
    http://bender2.com/mvi/kdun/index.htm

It was going good until Kent Abendroth passed away suddenly.

• This reply was modified 4 days ago by boisebill.
    Dan Packard
    Keymaster

That station had an awesome signal on the coast during the day. I love how you hear the transmitter cooling fans spin up when he hits the first power up in the above video.

I wonder who the engineer was in that video? Good luck Delilah! It should be a fun project. 😏

boisebill
    Participant

Might have been the owner Kent Abendroth turning it on.

Notalent
    Participant

That video does indeed show a Nautel. I was also under the impress that they had a DX-50 which is what I think was the OG 50kw rig… Seems that I remember something about a flood damaging the TX site at some point so maybe they got the Nautel with insurance money.

mwdxer1
    Participant

I remember talking on the phone to the GM years ago after the boost to 50 KW. I asked why 50KW? She said, they needed that power to get over the power line noise as it was awful between Reedsport and Coos Bay. They sold in Coos Bay. Complaints to the local PUB did no good. She went on to say, they wanted more power at night, but couldn’t get it with just one tower.

Notalent
    Participant

The power line noise issue in that region is a symptom of another issue, which is the really poor ground conductivity of sand. Not so much the fault of the power lines or the PUD.

mwdxer1
    Participant

I have driven up and down the coast for decades, living in Clatsop County and we have Pacific Power up here. There have been issues, but they are reported to Pacific Power and they are fixed. The Ground Conductivity can’t be much different than here. We are along the ocean and everything is in sand.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.