KBZY Sells to local guy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Shirley Knott
    Participant

The FCC releases show that KBZY 1490 Salem has filed for an ownership change.

Capital Broadcasting (Gloria Dittman on behalf of the late Leroy Dittman) is selling to Rise 95 LLC, solely owned by LOUIS RISEWICK, or Keiser. Transfer includes everything from studio, to accounts, to transmiter and 5 wooden pole Kinstar antenna. Lock, stock and barrel connectors. There is no real estate involved.

Sale price is $50,000 cash. But there’s an interesting wrinkle.
    “In consideration for Secured Party’s (NCJ Enterprises, LLC) release of its security interest and consent to the sale contemplated by this Agreement, Buyer agrees to pay Secured Party an amount equal to five percent (5%) of the gross sales of the Station after Closing, with the first payment due ninety (90) days after Closing. The total amount of payments made by Buyer to Secured Party shall not exceed $250,000”

Broadway
    Participant

All Access version….
    CAPITAL BROADCASTING, INC. is selling Oldies KBZY-A/SALEM, OR to LOUIS RISEWICK’s RISE 95, LLC for $50,000 plus payment of 5% of gross sales after closing to pay off debt not exceeding $250,000 owed to third party creditor NCJ ENTERPRISES, LLC

Essentially paying 300K over time…

Shirley Knott
    Participant

My question, which I haven’t been able to answer with online searches is Who is NCJ Enterprises. Is this a former shareholder in Capital Broadcasting or who. Why do Risewicks owe them $250K. Just curious to know where the money went and why it was needed by the station.

Did they pay a whole boatload more for the station somewhere in the past that was never repaid?

We know station values are sinking annually, and I’m guessing that KBZY was a victim of inflation. BUT I WANNA KNOW!

semoochie
    Participant

They’re selling the antenna but not the land? Isn’t Kinstar a fairly short antenna with a limited ground system or none at all?

Shirley Knott
    Participant

FCC docs say site is leased. Kinstar antenna has five 80 foot wooden poles

kb101engineer
    Participant
    lastday
    Participant

Lots of interesting stuff on the Kintronic web page. The brochure for the short-height array does say it requires “120-radial quarter-wave ground system”.

https://www.kintronic.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Kinstar-Low-Profile-Antenna.pdf

Large Medium Wave Project for the Thai Government

semoochie
    Participant

It doesn’t actually say it anywhere here but as I recall, despite using several towers, the system is nondirectional.

chessyduck
    Participant

The firddt photo from Kintronics (the green baseball field-like atrangement) is actually KFJL in Medford.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

The Kinstar antenna looks like a vertical with a very large capacitance hat. Looking closely at the photo, it appears to me that there are wires running between the outer poles and from each outer pole to the center pole. The center pole has the vertical radiating wires. Some LF stations, such as WWVB use this same design principle in their antenna designs, although WWVB uses much larger metal towers.

lastday
    Participant

I know nothing about antenna design but I find it interesting that they can make this low-profile array based on wood poles work well. “No lighting, no painting”. If they’re common treated utility poles, they should last for decades with essentially zero maintenance.

Shirley Knott
    Participant

It beats the heck out of a 200 foot tall rusting tower.

Broadway
    Participant

The site and technology does well throughout most of the Capital city although starts to fade in North Keizer due to it’s location in South Salem I-5 just off the Keubler exit.

Andy Brown
    Participant

The five poles and top loading are a result of weaknesses in this design approach and how Kintronix tries to overcome them.

There are numerous pros and cons for users of this type of AM low profile transmitting antennae.

These antennae have several issues:

Low radiation resistance (Radiation resistance is part of an antenna’s feedpoint electrical resistance that is caused by the radiation of electromagnetic waves from the antenna).

wikipedia.org see Radiation_resistance

High reactive impedance. Normally, with a series fed standard stick you generally tune as close to 50Ω±j0 at the carrier frequency that you can. The j0 is the reactive impedance. It’s never exactly zero BTW. Often, it is referred to as the imaginary part of the impedance and the 50Ω is referred to as the real part. Even simpler, think of radio frequency voltages and current as a vector with magnitude and phase. The impedance of the antenna is composed of a resistance and a reactance. The reactance can be inductive or capacitive (+ or -).

wikipedia.org see complex_number

See http://www.antenna-theory.com/basics/impedance.php

Low radiation efficiency.

Poor antenna bandwidth for IBOC.

High ground losses.

See http://www.electronics-notes.com/articles/antennas-propagation/grounding-earthing/antenna-rf-ground.php

And while you don’t have to deal with big metal towers, the antenna does require a standard 120 radial 1/4 wavelength ground screen.

Source: FCC DA 05-2741
    October 25, 2005
    MEDIA BUREAU ADOPTS SIMPLIFIED APPLICATION PROCEDURES
    FOR AM NONDIRECTIONAL KINSTAR ANTENNAS

If nothing else, read this:
    http://www.kintronic.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Inaugural-Installation-of-the-first-Kinstar-AM-Antenna.pdf

edit add: funny how if you attempt to use lower case lambda (for wavelength) your post will trigger an error and it won’t be accepted. Note that the use of Omega (see the reactive impedance paragraph) works fine.

Here’s the info on the character:

MATHEMATICAL BOLD SMALL LAMDA
    Unicode: U+1D6CC, UTF-8: F0 9D 9B 8C

(Unicode uses the spelling “lamda” in character names, instead of “lambda”, due to “preferences expressed by the Greek National Body”.)

wikipedia.org see Lambda

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by Andy Brown.
    Shirley Knott
    Participant

I stand by my disquoted statement that a Kintronics array beats the heck out of a rusting 200 foot tower.

Since a station that would choose a Kintronics antenna has a major need to have a short antenna, this meets that requirement. Whether it’s NIMBYs on the planning commission refusing a taller tower, or the ongoing expense of maintaining a 200 foot structure, it’s often the choice between having a station or not having a station.

Reduced radiation is preferable to no radiation. And finding affordable, insurable tower climbers has become extremely difficult, should you need to paint it or, God forbid, replace the light bulb because the airport is too close to turn it off for good.

Not for everybody, but with AM in the shape it’s in, a Kintronics antenna is a good alternative to the good old fashioned 1/4 wave. And it’s fairly unlikely that somebody who has had to choose a Kintronics is going to be screwing around with digital anyway.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.