KATU charging for Web site

This topic contains 12 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  mwdxer1 3 days, 3 hours ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Jeffrey Kopp
    Participant

Tonight articles on KATU and KOMO web sites appear with a banner stating 3 of 3 articles remaining and a subscribe button, which doesn’t work.

Vitalogy
    Participant

F Sinclair Broadcasting.

Fake news.

Sad!

washnotore
    Participant

How I’m I going to get my new from Seattle. And the rest of Western Washington. Does this include KOMO Radio Stream???

I want my Washington News Not Oregon News

mwdxer1
    Participant

Yes, KOMO radio does have streaming. I have a wifi radio and listen to the stream often. On the OR coast, their 97.7 is very strong too. If you have a Roku, KOMO, KING, & KIRO all stream their TV news for free too.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

You could just do as I do and listen to AM 1000. What does stick out like a sore thumb about KOMO radio is that they carry a newscast that was produced for television, rather than radio. Thus, one very frequently hears the announcers make references to video footage that is supposed to accompany the stories. It is very reminiscent of the 1990s, when radio stations across the country carried CNN Headline News audio.

paulwalker
    Participant

Sinclair is not a good local tv operator, and I don’t say it because of the political slant, but that is part of it. Instead they simply don’t have a clue how to run local tv stations. They have issues all over the country in both liberal and conservative markets.

As of today, you can still stream KOMO, KING, KIRO, and KCPQ out of Seattle. I assume the same can be said about Portland local news.

Local newspapers have been offering on-line subscriptions for years now, did anyone expect it would not spill over to TV/radio sites?

lastday
    Participant

In the case of local newspapers, it’s always been via a paid subscription or purchasing it someplace. I’ve been a print subscriber to the Register-Guard since 1990. Print subscribers get full digital access to the digital edition, even if you drop the Monday thru Thursday print editions like I have.

My point being that readers of local newspapers are used to paying. TV news viewers not so much. I can still get the TV news OTA for free. It may be a tougher sell for TV news.

Now eventually the print edition of the R-G will probably go away. Then the remaining subscribers will have to decide if they’re still willing to pay for digital access. I think that’s a less of a hurdle than for TV. But I could be wrong.

Jeffrey Kopp
    Participant

Well, the articles remaining banner has disappeared, for the time being.

mwdxer1
    Participant

I don’t blame either KOMO or KATU, as the NW is liberal, but Sinclair isn’t. They pretty much forced the stations to slant the news. The news people at both stations are unhappy about it too. I think I heard one news person at KOMO resigned and moved to another station.

lastday
    Participant

I watch KVAL and KMTR news all the time. The local news coverage doesn’t have any obvious Sinclair bias. It’s more about the spots Sinclair produces and forces them to run. For example KMTR regularly runs something called “TERROR WATCH DESK” or some such nonsense designed to stoke fear. KVAL used to run Boris Epshteyn commentaries in the evening news that had a clear conservative bias. Who the hell is Boris Epshteyn and why is he on the local evening news? Sinclair forced stations to run that. He’s been moved to the 5:30AM morning news, probably due to viewer complaints.

Sinclair can run anything it wants but at least take ownership. Don’t make it look like these commentaries are produced locally.

In other news, Starbucks is dropping newspapers from all its stores. Another nail in the print news coffin.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/12/business/starbucks-stop-selling-newspapers/index.html

New York (CNN Business) — Starbucks will stop selling newspapers and a number of food items to declutter stores and remove products customers aren’t buying.

The coffee chain will begin removing newspapers and kiosks for grab-and-go snacks and bags of whole-bean coffee beginning in September. The changes will take place in Starbucks’ 8,600 company-owned stores in the United States.

DanOregon
    Participant

Sinclair is still off of Direct TV in Eugene – just plain shoddy. I’m guessing they’ll wait until football season.

DanOregon
    Participant

PS – Anyone have any insight on TV news ratings in Portland? I imagine KPTV is no. 1, but I’m wondering if KATU or KOIN have made any gains on KGW with the anchor changes.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Sinclair does have one good app on the Fire TV & Roku, as they stream all of their diginets, and others. They have for free, Charge!, TBD, Comet, and even Buzzr. Out here on the Oregon coast we do not get Charge! and TBD OTA.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.