Jury acquits leaders of Oregon standoff of federal charges

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things Jury acquits leaders of Oregon standoff of federal charges

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Vitalogy
    Participant

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/jury-acquits-leaders-of-oregon-standoff-of-federal-charges/ar-AAjuxZf?li=BBnb7Kz

Unbelievable!

So, just to note, it’s perfectly legal to have an armed takeover of public property, destroy it, and get off.

I can only hope they get convicted for their Nevada crimes.

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

I’d like to read more about this before commenting in more detail, but it does seem utterly ridiculous.

Vitalogy
    Participant

The precedent set today is truly scary.

These fake patriots overtook and destroyed public property with arms and walk away with no charges.

Angry Trump supporters see this kind of shit and feel emboldened to act.

Vitalogy
    Participant

Contrast this with what’s going on in North Dakota.

Shameful.

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

I’ve read up on as much detail on this as is available.

I’m baffled at the verdict.

I say that not out of emotional context but rather as a matter of law.

Then again, an alarming number of citizens are simply not that bright and are seemingly incapable of rational thought. I.e. the jury, without question, ignored the law in favor of where their sympathy or empathy (or even political beliefs) may lie.

And I can’t even re: North Dakota. It’s just sickening.

I feel like we’re living in opposite world.

Amus
    Participant

OPB has a great podcast dedicated to the trial.

This Land is Our Land

It will be a considerable time investment to listen to it.
    But lot’s of good background.

skeptical
    Participant

In hindsight, the feds should have charged them with vandalism, thief and other lower charges instead.

Waiting out tactics might need to be reviewed.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Agreed. The U.S. never should have tolerated their occupation, but in reality they should have charged them with charges that were more slam dunk. Intent is always difficult to prove.

The Nevada indictment charges the four with 16 felonies: one count of conspiring to commit an offense against the United States, one count of conspiring to impede or injure a federal officer, four counts of carrying a firearm in a crime of violence, two counts of assault on a federal officer, two counts of threatening a federal law enforcement officer, three counts of obstructing justice, two counts of interfering with interstate commerce by extortion and one count of interstate travel in aid of extortion.

It also levels five counts of criminal forfeiture against each defendant. If convicted of the offenses, they would have to forfeit property obtained from the proceeds of their crimes, totaling at least $3 million, including cattle at the so-called Bunkerville Allotment and Lake Mead National Recreational Area in Nevada. They also would have to forfeit firearms and ammunition used in the April 12, 2014, standoff with federal authorities.

The maximum sentence is five years for conspiracy to commit an offense against the U.S., six years for conspiracy to impede and injure a federal officer; 20 years for assault on a federal officer; 10 years for threatening a federal law enforcement officer; 10 years for obstruction of justice, 20 years for interfering with interstate commerce by extortion, 20 years for interstate travel in aid of extortion and a five-year minimum for using and carrying a firearm in a crime of violence.

Nevada is a mixed state, politically. It’s difficult to guess what charges above will stick.

I do predict that the Bundy clan will end up staying incarcerated for quite some time. The old man will probably be there until he dies.

They are dangerous people.

DanOregon
    Participant

These folks on the jury probably think a flashmob is just a bunch of people who all know the same dance moves and show up in the same place when music starts to ply by coincidence.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.