Job opening- General Manager

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Chico
    Participant

I post this here because I know there is a ton of talent floating around on this board at times.

http://agency.governmentjobs.com/seattleschools/default.cfm?action=viewJob&jobID=1143404

I realize you’d have to move to Seattle, but it does pay pretty well for a non-com- 80 to 110K. You would actually get to run a relevant (niche) radio station! You had better like Dance Music ans EDM however.

RobP
    Participant

According to a thread about this on a Seattle board, the station is also looking for a CE.

One poster in that thread says brown nosing and dealing with school politics are required skills for anyone who takes the job.

paulwalker
    Participant

Interesting listing. As some of you know, both Dan Packard and myself were in the KNHC program at the same time. A lot has changed since the mid to late 70’s, but this job was always a challenging one. Scroll down for the qualifications required. Yeah the pay is good, but this is not going to be right for a lot of us.

Chico
    Participant

I wasn’t sure if anyone here would be both interested and qualified. But I know that I am not qualified- I just wanted to pay it forward and it costs me nothing to do so. Sometimes these things are written with a particular well qualified candidate already in mind. But I figured there might be a ringer somewhere on this board. Almost nothing would make me happier than playing a small part in helping someone find their next great gig.

paulwalker
    Participant

Yes, and I appreciate you posting this. I agree the wording is very specific. Perhaps there is someone out there who meets their strict qualifications. But that could be one wild search. I mean, look, they are looking, in a best case scenerio for an MBA, 5 years Senior management, and a teaching certificate. Plus an understanding of radio tech, and the ability to understand radio programming, and as one poster put it, the ability to deal with school politics. Not to mention dealing with high school students as your main staff. Wow. I hope they find the right person. Not sure that person exists. But I will always be thankful for KNHC for giving me a start into my profession, and I only wish them the best. Sincerely, Paul Walker, former KNHC Station Manager, and son of two Seattle Public School employees.

Dan Packard
    Keymaster

Big shoes to fill. Larry Adams, the founder of KNHC at the Seattle school district, and Patricia Swenson leading KBPS at the Portland school district for nearly 50 years, are two legendary examples.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.