Jam'n 107.5 to Classic Hip-Hop

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  semoochie 9 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

semoochie
    Participant

Talk about an extreme response to a new format competitor! They’ve dropped all currents and recurrents from their playlist.

semoochie
    Participant

According to an article in Radio Insight, the change had already taken place but I see no evidence of the change. It’s a little hard to tell because I didn’t recognize most of the songs but heard “The Hills” which I’m sure is still recurrent. Are we still in the Holiday book? If so they could be waiting for that to end.

semoochie
    Participant

I wonder if Dan will start charging me for this thread. 🙂 According to Inside Radio, the change took place on January 9th at 1 AM. The reason I didn’t pick up on it is because there are SOME recurrents in the mix and I didn’t recognize any other songs while I was listening. Also, it’s now referred to as “Portland’s #1 for Hip-hop and Throwback R&B” which not only sounds a lot like the old positioner, it doesn’t exactly “scream” Classics of any kind. It seems to me that it should read, “…Throwback Hip-Hop and R&B” or “Hip-Hop and R&B Throwbacks”. As it is, their typical listener might not like it very much, possibly having no idea why and anyone else won’t know there’s been a change.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

A very long time ago–perhaps 10 years–a participant on this board made the observation that many area radio stations were incorporating more “gold” (recurrents) into their playlists. This person provided a station-by-station breakdown of estimated ratios of new vs. recurrent songs.

I wonder whether the reason that these stations, including KXJM, have been making these changes is simply to appeal to Generation-X listeners. The Generation-X demographic is old enough that it can afford big ticket items, yet it are young enough that it readily responds to advertising.

semoochie
    Participant

Since the arrival of WE, Jam’n has dropped from a three share station in total audience to a one share. If this is any indication of their target, something had to be done and soon. I just don’t think this was the way to fix it because the jury is still out on the Classic Hip-Hop format.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.