I've Gotta Few Questions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 134 total)
  • Author
    Chris_Taylor
    Participant
    jerry1949
    Spectator

He must have fallen in with a bad crowd.

NoParty
    Participant

The Religious crowd?

missing_kskd
    Participant

That’s a pretty great piece, and the questions are pointed and relevant.

You all know what I think of fear and shame based religion and policy.

His e-book, “leave” might be a great read.

This: Because you are not perfect, you deserve punishment instead of love.

Yeah.

If there is a load of bullshit in the whole thing, it’s centered right there. Personally, I’ll have no part of it. Too damn harmful.

Good on this guy for getting there. I’ll bet that realization hurt a lot. And I’ll bet processing his awareness of it’s impact will play out for a long time too. And he’s gonna start feeling things again, and that will be as good as the hurt was bad.

He needed help to get there too. Lots of people do, and when they call for it, and it gets abused? Fear and shame instead of that help?

Yeah. Been there, done that.

Intent matters. That poem speaks right to intent, and having to be good as opposed to wanting to be good, and love, and share lead to very different places. One of which really doesn’t work for this guy.

And that is OK.

Brianl
    Participant

Great piece. And, IMO, one that highlights why so many are leaving actively practicing Christianity.

Jesus didn’t condemn – he treated, cared for, healed, all with love. He must be upstairs, looking down at people like Rev. Dollar, and asking, “Where did I say he could order a fleet of Learjets in my name?”

edselehr
    Participant

Evangelical Christianity, or what the author calls “bad religion” reminds me of the basic structure of every advertisement out there:

1) You have a problem (that you might not have even realized is a problem)

2) if you don’t solve the problem you will not be loved, either directly or indirectly.

3) There is a solution to the problem! But you must buy This Product or This Service to solve your problem. Only then will you be loved.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Transactional religion.

jerry1949
    Spectator

Because you are not perfect, you deserve punishment instead of love.

This is a tenet of what faith?

duxrule
    Participant

Really? This story out of Colorado might give you a hint:

Colorado Republican says brutal attack on pregnant woman could be God’s punishment for legal abortion

“…Instead, police said 34-year-old Dynel Lane stabbed the 26-year-old pregnant woman and “removed” the fetus from her body and went to a hospital, where she claimed she had a miscarriage.

Wilkins survived, but her baby did not.

The lawmaker tied the case to a passage from Hosea, in which God curses the Samaritans for their rebellion and warns “their little ones shall be dashed in pieces, and their pregnant women ripped open.”

“I wonder if there is prophetic significance to America today in that scripture,” Klingenschmitt said. “This is the curse of God upon America for our sin of not protecting innocent children in the womb — and part of that curse for our rebellion against God as a nation is that our pregnant women are ripped open.””
    http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/03/colorado-republican-says-brutal-attack-on-pregnant-woman-could-be-gods-punishment-for-legal-abortion/

missing_kskd
    Participant

By default, people are going to burn eternal, because sin.

Unless, they get saved.

Not hard to understand the implications associated with imperfection.

jerry1949
    Spectator

We are born stained with the guilt of original sin that is washed away in baptism. The actual sins we commit can be forgiven if we repent and strive to avoid repeating them.

What does that have to do with “perfection”?

duxrule
    Participant

The concept of Original Sin is one of the most heinous ever devised by man. It was clearly created with the intent of enslavement. It is absolutely ludicrous to believe that each and every one of us is tainted, simply through the act of being born. It’s meant to browbeat people into submission, nothing more, nothing less. Try again.

jerry1949
    Spectator

Colorado Republican says brutal attack on pregnant woman could be God’s punishment for legal abortion.

I think that’s screwed up thinking, since this woman and her dead baby are not responsible for the grave injustice of abortion.

Certainly, however, God’s not going to bless us for it.

jerry1949
    Spectator

The concept of Original Sin is one of the most heinous ever devised by man. It was clearly created with the intent of enslavement. It is absolutely ludicrous to believe that each and every one of us is tainted, simply through the act of being born. It’s meant to browbeat people into submission, nothing more, nothing less. Try again.

It was caused by man. Not “invented.”

I’m somehow “enslaved” because I believe it?

Those who reject it are more likely to be enslaved by their own sins and disorders.

That’s why Christ was born. Through one man sin entered into the world and through one man the price was paid and the door opened to salvation.

duxrule
    Participant

“Bless us” for what? Rep. Klingenschmitt clearly thinks that this was God’s work, so someone must have been “blessed.” You also asked this question:

Because you are not perfect, you deserve punishment instead of love.

This is a tenet of what faith?

It’s clear that the “faith” we’re talking about is Christianity. Klingenschmitt’s version apparently thinks that God was showing us his “love” by setting an example through this woman, and then you continued on with your rundown on OS. Correct me if I’m wrong(and I’m not), one cannot enter the Kingdom of Heaven without being baptized. What kind of “Loving God” taints you with eternal damnation as you’re being born, and then withholds his love from you unless you do EXACTLY what he says?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 134 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.