ISIS kills 6 and wounds 63 in Chicago over Memorial Day Weekend

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things ISIS kills 6 and wounds 63 in Chicago over Memorial Day Weekend

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Vitalogy
    Participant

6 Dead, 63 Wounded In Memorial Day Weekend Shootings

Just imagine if it was ISIS. But it’s not. It’s the gun culture in the US. Which is much more dangerous than ISIS.

paulwalker
    Participant

Vit, I get your point, and I understand your intention, but your headline is ridiculous. I would politely suggest you have Dan change that, because it is very misleading and could be quite alarming. But again, I get your point.

skeptical
    Participant

I gotta agree with Paul on this.

LONDON — At least 18,802 civilians have been killed in Iraq in ISIS-linked violence in under two years, a United Nations report said Tuesday — with millions of others forced from their homes and thousands more held as slaves.

“The violence suffered by civilians in Iraq remains staggering,” said the report by the Office of the United Nations High Comissioner for Human Rights [PDF link here].

ISIS continues to commit “systematic and widespread violence and abuses of international human rights law and humanitarian law,” it said, adding that some of those act amount “crimes against humanity, and possibly genocide.”

ISIS intends that for US too. ISIS is much more dangerous than laws that permit citizens to arm themselves.

Vitalogy
    Participant

I disagree. The point of the headline was to raise awareness (or alarm) on how Americans react to gun violence. I had to search for this news. If these shootings involved ISIS, it would be 24/7 coverage.

And, pardon me while I laugh off the lame post by Bacon. The number of gun deaths from ourselves vs ISIS here in the US is not even comparable.

For every life terrorism claimed on US soil, or where Americans abroad were killed by terrorists, 1000 lives have been taken by firearms in the US. That’s 406,496 vs 3380 since 2001. And keep in mind the one outlier event that killed 2990 on 9/11.

999 out 1000 deaths is caused by a US firearm compared to terrorism. Who’s the real danger to your life?? The armed citizen is.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I will throw out the following pure speculation–

1) Likely, many of these shootings happened in poorer areas of Chicago.
    2) Likely, many of these shootings involved minorities.
    3) A high percentage of these incidents were related to gang activity. The story confirms some that specifically were.

I think that the above factors largely contribute to the media and society’s dismissal of these events. If a shooting incident occurred among high income, white collar people, it would very likely get coverage on shows like Dateline and 20/20 (which, in my opinion, have deteriorated into tabloid TV). If the shooting incident occurred at a school or university, it would be all over the news.

Amus
    Participant

Yep..

It’s the same as nobody gives a shit if a little black child is killed, even if by a cop.

But if it were a blond blue eyed boy or girl, all hell breaks loose.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

^^ Particularly if the parents have money, a nice house, and a Lexus.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.