Is the dam about to burst?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Vitalogy
    Participant

Former President George W. Bush and Sen. Mitt Romney (R-Utah) will not support President Trump’s reelection, The New York Times reported Saturday.

Retired Gen. Colin Powell, who served as the secretary of State under Bush, announced on CNN’s “State of the Union” Sunday that he will be voting for Biden in November because Trump “lies about things.”

Another well-known GOP member, Cindy McCain, the widow of Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), is likely to back Biden in the race, but it’s unclear how public she will make her decision, the Times reported.

Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska) also said last week that she was “struggling” on whether to vote for the president’s reelection.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/501567-bush-romney-wont-support-trump-reelection-new-york-times?__twitter_impression=true&fbclid=IwAR0jQ7NDSrkO7hAy_-_CZ-FWH4aN2scAZiDI5mnip8m9uf7UGE8eXuBMt60

Deane Johnson
    Participant

All of these except Bush were Trump haters from the beginning. I don’t know about Bush’s previous attitude.

I’m sure they all decided to grab the opportunity to bad mouth Trump while he’s getting it from all sides. Nothing new from them other than they all went public in the same time frame, probalby reacting to each other.

Is the dam about to burst??? Could be. I don’t see how he’s going to pull it out before November. He’s done a lot of damage to himself already, and he probably won’t stop doing it. He has nobody else to blame but himself.

I have to say, trying to use active American troops against the American people was not very smart, and I’m putting that mildly. That bothers me more than anything else he’s done. I’m happy that our top military stood up to him on this extremely wrong action. They put their careers on the line to do the right thing for the country.

Brianl
    Participant

Deane –

I know that you have basically said recently that you will most likely vote for Trump, but hold your nose while doing it.

Is your thought process changing?

Brianl
    Participant

Colin Powell voted for Obama in 2012 and Hillary in 2016 … even though he is known to be conservative. I wonder if he more voted against Mitt and Trump than for Obama and Hillary – entirely possible.

Bush made it well known that he was no fan of Trump four years ago; I believe that both George H. W. And George W. voted third party. It could be a reality that Dubya votes for Biden, as he is totally disgusted with Trump.

The Presidential Club is a close-knit group. Carter, Clinton, Bush and Obama are all very close, and they have done a tremendous amount of good for those who need it most, individually and collectively. If Trump loses in November, I cannot foresee any situation where he becomes part of that group.

Deane Johnson
    Participant

Brianl, fair enough question. The answer is that I don’t know at this point.

Trumps done a pretty poor job with the COVID-19 problem, now the demonstrations issue.

There’s going to be a lot of water over the dam between now and November. One thing that will have a major effect on me is Biden’s choice for Vice President. Biden himself probably won’t have the energy to do too much harm. But, something could well happen to him in the four years and the Vice Presidential choice could have a major impact on the future. It’s could be sort of trading the devil you know for the one you don’t know.

I can tell you that if he picks one of the liberal radicals like Warren, Trump gets the vote no matter how bad he does in the next few months.

For the record, I support the demonstrators and the call for police reform. It’s long overdue. Too bad the looters had to dirty the movement up. I’m glad it’s going the way it is now and the protestors are getting a lot of support.

Brianl
    Participant

I agree, Deane, that Biden’s VP choice will be crucial. I used to think that a Warren-type, someone who would help bring in the far-left, Bernie supporters would be most wise, but I think a sensible choice, more moderate, will be wiser now (like you said).

Trump has done a tremendous amount of damage between his mishandling of COVID and the aftermath of the George Floyd tragedy. It’s times of crisis like this where a president truly needs to rally his country and people and bring them together – and Trump is doing the exact polar opposite. Calling for active troops to squash peaceful protests runs straight in the face of the First Amendment.

I think of other times where we have had tragedy in this country and the president acted as a unifier. George W. Bush’s immediate handling of 9/11 comes to mind. I also think of times where the POTUS botched it – George H. W. Bush’s blatant mishandling of the Rodney King riots in Los Angeles did a lot to cost him the election in 1992.

Andrew
    Participant

George W. Bush’s hatred of Trump could partly be attributed to his brother Jeb’s bitter loss to Trump in the 2016 primaries. Bush is not held in especially high regard by the base at this point – Trump is. So I’m not really sure what his rejection of Trump means now if anything. It’s one thing to say “I’m not supporting Trump for re-election” and then go quietly about your business through November 3. It’s another to go out and endorse Biden and actively campaign for him, which I don’t really see happening.

Andrew
    Participant

As for the “dam” – I agree with Deane that these are all establishment Republicans now coming out against him, more or less, except for the retired military, which I think is a signal to Trump not to f**k with the military more than that they are going to campaign for Biden. And yes, there is a lot of time on the clock between now and November 3. It looks bad for Trump right now – but the election isn’t being held right now. The way things work in politics, the pendulum can swing back pretty easily. If anything, Trump is lucky all of this is happening now vs. in October.

Andrew
    Participant

I think Biden’s biggest challenge in a VP is picking someone the disaffected independent voters and moderate Republicans are OK with – knowing that Biden is old and might not survive his term. Not an Elizabeth Warren, who is kind of scary to those types of voters. Just someone who won’t rock the boat too much and is also competent enough to take the reins of the presidency if/when needed, not a neophyte who just has the right skin color.

Vitalogy
    Participant

The Bernie faction can pound salt. Warren would be a terrible choice. She’s better off occupying her Senate seat.

I think there’s a decent chance Biden only serves one term. I think it’s most important the VP pick is the person that would be heir apparent in 2024.

I think Stacey Abrams may provide the best combination of attributes. She’s well educated, 46, is known nationally for barely losing the election in GA for governor amid GOP cheating, and comes from a state that is increasingly looking swingy that also happens to have 2 Senate seats up for election.

Brianl
    Participant

Abrams is intriguing, but she also has not won a major election. Personally, I’d like to see it.

Andrew
    Participant

Stacey Abrams seems wholly unqualified to be president. Even Barack Obama won a statewide Senate election and then managed to have a few years in the Senate to get the lay of the land in Washington. Even though Obama was so inexperienced in 2008, running and winning the nomination was kind of a trial by fire, proof that he could hold up under the bright lights and pressure and not wilt.

Stacey Abrams has had none of that seasoning. She seems pretty bright, but her experience in politics consists of ten years in the stage legislature and losing a state-wide election. Her ability step in and be president is wholly unproven – being Biden’s sidekick in the general election will not prove she’s up to it, the way the grueling 2008 campaign was for Obama.

Michelle Lujan Grisham, the governor of New Mexico, has at least had some brief executive experience (albeit only since January 2019). She was in the US Congress for 16 years before that. She’s 60. Biden probably has grandchildren older than that. And she’s Hispanic. In my view, Biden is popular among African Americans but weak among Hispanics. So choosing her would shore up that weakness. She might help Biden carry Arizona, which has a large Hispanic population. If Biden can win PA and MI and carry all of the states Hillary won, he doesn’t even need Wisconsin if he can win Arizona.

mwdxer1
    Participant

If things don’t change, we are headed for a revolution. It happens in other countries, so it can happen here. I hope a pray things change before we get to that breaking point. This is a great country, but it has been going down to tubes for the past several decades. For Blacks 400 years. I am 71, and I have lived through a lot, but I never thought we would ever get to this point. Both sides needs to get together and put the U.S. back together. We are a caring country and the politicians need to get this! If not, we may not survive as one country. I have several Black friends, most are in my age group and they have been treated very poorly through the years. I am glad this situation is finally getting noticed. It’s about time!

Andy Brown
    Participant

Deane: “He’s done a lot of damage to himself already, and he probably won’t stop doing it.“

His base is very loyal, but it has been shrinking in numbers at an alarming rate. 95% of all Republicans support him yet Biden is gaining in the polls.

Yeah, drumpf is a boneheaded ass. Send in the troops. Bunker boy.

washnotore
    Participant

The GOP needs to wise up. And find another candidate to endorse before the people less convention starts. Remember back in 1980 a dark horse Vice Presidential Candidate. George H. W. Bush was chosen by the party. To become Ronald Reagan running mate.

Hey GOP baby boomer crowd. It time to stop giving Trump a free pass to a second term. Your party needs it’s respect back. Don’t be afraid of what happen nearly forty years ago. It can still work today. You have to look hard and deep. With in your ranks to find that shinny gem stone.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.