Is KPDX going to become a sub channel to KPTV?

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio Is KPDX going to become a sub channel to KPTV?

This topic contains 19 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  washnotore 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

cowlitzron2
    Participant

Here, in Longview I can get KPDX and its three sub-channels with a small indoor loop antenna with the signal coming from Columbia Heights north of Longview. I can’t get any other TV signal with that antenna.

I don’t see KPTV-KPDX moving the virtual channel number of KPDX to channel 13, because of conflicts with KVAL-TV Eugene and KCPQ Tacoma. They could have applied for higher subchannel numbers than the other channel 13s have but TV viewers expect the main channel of a station to have a x.1 channel number. It’s not worth making TV viewers rescan in order to receive Fox 12+.

Fox 12+ also is now simulcasting four hours of Good Day Oregon from 5 to 9 AM Monday thru Friday. This is an acknowledgement that some people like myself get Fox 12+ that don’t receive KPTV channel 12.

msndrspdx
    Participant

There could be a way for KPTV to promote KPDX as Ch. 13 without interfering with the Ch. 13’s to the north and south. First, let’s look at how the two stations are currently set up in Portland (we’ll deal with the translators in a moment). According to RsbbitEars, they currently look like this…

KPTV (12) (RF 12)
    12.1 KPTV (Fox)
    12.2 Cozi TV
    12.3 Laff TV

KPDX (49) (RF 30)

49.1 (RF 30.3) KPDX
    49.2 (RF 30.4) Escape
    49.3 (RF 30.5) Bounce
    49.4 (RF 30.6) Grit

KPTV could put KPDX on Ch. 13 this way, by using RF designations along the lines of those 10 and 12-stream stations in LA and a few other spectrum-crowded places:

12.131 KPDX
    12.132 Escape
    12.133 Bounce
    12.134 Grit

KPDX could move to its RF 30 position on its own tower and use the designations 30.131, 30.132, 30.133, and 30.134, and promote them as Ch. 13. Or move to RF 30 and announce as 13 for cable viewers, like the Fox station in San Diego which promotes itself as Fox 5 but it’s actually running on another channel over the air. The above designations could be adopted on the repeaters, tweaked as locally necessary.

Just a thought.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

KPDX transmitter has always been in NW Portland just west of KPTV and KATU off Barnes Rd. Access driveway on Miller Rd. Early studio and Master Control were just off the Interstate Bridge in Vancouver just west of the Motel on the west side of I-5. I believe it was the Quay.

Was that the little brick (concrete?) building right next to the hotel that I think they may have knocked down recently because of the redevelopment? IIRC the Port of Vancouver was using it as an office.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=45.62247,-122.67623&z=18&t=SLB

I was on a ride in that area last weekend and I only had about a quarter of a second to look so I couldn’t immediately tell if it did meet the wrecking ball or not. That’s why I ask.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Out of town, we lose all of the KPTV/KPDX diginets as they only have 12.1 KPTV/49.1 KPDX both in 720 (21). I feel they could give us a couple 480′ diginets, as KATU has two 720p and two 480i channels. For a time we had the regular 12.1/12.2/12.3 out here and I really got fond of COZI TV. I can still get it off my big dish and a misc stream, but it is not like having it regular OTA. I asked if a diginet could be added, and they were going to look into it, but it has never happened. The rest of the translators (2/6/8/10) all broadcast the same as in Portland with diginets. Some markets like Rainier/Longview do have both 12 & 49 translatlors which I wish he had too. I think Rockaway down the coast also has both.

washnotore
    Participant

Yes the building that used to house KLRK Television. Was knocked down last year. I also seem to recall the STL dish that KPDX used. Was point south towards Skyline Ridge.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.