Is KPDX going to become a sub channel to KPTV?

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio Is KPDX going to become a sub channel to KPTV?

This topic contains 16 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  msndrspdx 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

mwdxer1
    Participant

I don’t know how many have caught the the new slogan for KPDX 49 is going to be Fox 12 Plus on 2/14? Is this anything like OPB Plus? With ATSC 3.0 on the horizon? With the space available under ATSC 3.0, could they shut down ch 30, and just add everything on 12? I was told that the stations are excited having the room to add more channels. Interesting….

washnotore
    Participant

Here is the webpage link.

KPDX to become FOX 12 Plus

http://www.kptv.com/story/37342202/kpdx-to-become-fox-12-plus

Even thought Channel 49 will be gone. The call letters will still remain.

It would be nice if the Main Fox 12 programing. Were broadcasting back to RF 30, instead of RF 12. The UHF signal has better coverage than VHF signal outside of Portland. The power output for digital RF 12 is 24.5kw. Both RF 8 and RF 10 are around 45kW in power.

KPTV/KPDX former sister stations KMSP/WFTC in Minneapolis (Now a Fox O&O) Moved the KMSP/Fox network to UHF signal few years ago. While still retaining a signal to the VHF channel.

Will have to wait and see what will become of KCPQ/KZJO in Seattle. Since both stations will soon be sold to Fox TV station group. I think will start to see some more news sharing between the two markets before too long.

msndrspdx
    Participant

In other markets, NBC is channel sharing with sister network Telemundo on both transmitters, such as San Francisco. TBN is doing likewise with channel sharing deals in NYC, Pittsburgh, and at least one other market. Fox and MyNet stations are doing likewise in a few places. Wouldn’t surprise me if KPTV and KPDX did this, too. They could move KPDX down to virtual Ch. 13, which would make sesnse because they’re on Ch. 13 (713 on Comcast) on most cable systems in the area. KPTV’s Tigard and Salem translators carry 12 and 49 simulcasting on the same tower (primary channels only for now, no subchannels, but that could change down the road). In NYC and LA, CBS owns a second station that carries news in prime time every night and runs movies and syndicated fare the rest of the time. KOIN doesn’t have that advantage, but they could create a separate subchannel that might use a separate virtual channel to accomplish the same thing, which could have its own call letters, which is OK under current FCC rules. That second station might be on 4, 5, or 9, maybe 11. In LA for example, KCBS 2 and KCAL (formerly KHJ)9 share towers and news crews (and Facebook content as well). KGW might channel share with KGWZ at some point. Keep in mind that a KPTV/KPDX channel share would appear on both stations repeaters, too. KATU and KUNP might cgsnnel share, too, at some point. I can picture Daystar channel sharing with KNMT/TBN. KEVE 36 would need a partner, but don’t rule them out. LPTVs are channel sharing in a few places with full power stations. Would OPB channel share with the right partner? Unlikely, but who knows?

mwdxer1
    Participant

Since we have no VHF translators out here, I would have no idea if a VHF would get out as well as UHF. Years ago with analog, the PDX stations always did better. 2 & 6 were easy with a roof top antenna,. Snowy, but watchable. Conditions had to be good to bring in 8-10-12, but they were there at times. Seattle’s 4 & 5 were constant too, 7-9-11-13 were also there with 13 the best. I did see 20 & 22 from Seattle a couple of times, but VHF always did better.

msndrspdx
    Participant

One interesting thing to notice about this is that the MyTV Network primetime schedule gets pushed back to midnight on KPDX, pushing that program block out of primetime in the Portland area. Wouldn’t be surprised if MyTV starts looking for a new home. Eugene has a station showing the network on a full time basis to Eugene and most of SW Oregon, so MyTV likely would want a Portland outlet that could commit itself to a full time schedule (which I think runs 7am-2am, if memory serves). Watch to see what happens when KPDX’s deal with MyTV expires.

Also, Quest had an embrassing error today when a segment of a show looped continuously on air for about two hours this morning. Their Facebook page issued an apology to stations and viewers, and the episode in question was rescheduled for later today.

I’m following the Movies! Facebook page, so I get to see their promos regularly. Looks good, and they seem to have a good library to draw from. Borrowing an idea from TCM, they’re running a film noir double feature every Sunday night. Someone should pick them up in Portland. I think they might draw well here.

Broadway
    Participant

Looking foreword to watching FoxNews OTA soon—:)

• This reply was modified 6 months ago by  Broadway.

mwdxer1
    Participant

-I wonder if PDX loses their MyTV affiliation, will they become an Independent?

semoochie
    Participant

On this general topic, KOIN asked for and was granted the following: “Legal STA seeking waiver of the Post-Incentive Auction Transition Phase
    Assignment” Does this mean that they’re going to share someone else’s assignment?

DarkStar
    Participant

Does this mean that they’re going to share someone else’s assignment?

KOIN was asked by T-Mobile to vacate channel 40 by June 1, 2018. The Phase 2 repack has a testing period start date of December 1, 2018 with a completion date of April 12, 2019.

The legal STA allows them to complete their repack transition early.

I also saw on RabbitEars.info that KUNP-LP will be moving from channel 47 to channel 34 before June 15, 2018.

semoochie
    Participant

Thank you, I never thought of that!

msndrspdx
    Participant

That T-Mobile request to KOIN is not only the first in Portland, it might be the first in Oregon that I’ve heard of. Those of you who follow the blog at RabbitEars know that they’ve been very active across the desert SW, notably Utah, Arizona, and NM, forcing several stations, repeaters and LPTVs to move their RFs to make room for expansion of T-Mobile operations in those areas. Expect more of this as the work moves west.

I’ve been watching NBCSN a lot during the Winter Olympics, and I’ve noticed a lot of local ad breaks promoting the KPDX rebrand as Fox 12+. Granted, NBCSN is separate from KGW, but I’m sure the folks at Ch. 8 have been monitoring NBCSN, which is almost 24/7 Olympics right now. I’d say a KPTV/KPDX channel share is probably going to happen this year. Will KPDX move to virtual Ch. 13? I think it might happen. (One reason I’m watching MBCSN most of the time is so I can avoid figure skating. Curling, hockey, luge and the ski racing have more appeal to me.)

Stephen
    Participant

MSNDRSPDX,

If you have some free time, this is a good site for all of that work…

http://maps.spectrumgateway.com/t-mobile-600-mhz-band-71-deployment.html

KOIN is definitely not the first in Oregon, but yes the first in Portland.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

I had been told that the Cox Cable (dating myself) building near Vancouver Mall had been the original KPDX studio/transmitter site in the early 80s before they moved to NE Union, hence the large antenna tower in the cable company’s backyard. Any truth to that?

mwdxer1
    Participant

Interesting that that in rural areas in Oregon where there is only one Meredith translator, they have a KPTV/KPDX combo. Unless they have two translators one for KPTV and the other for KPDX, then they offer the KPTV and KPDX sub channels. Here we only have one. We had the KPTV/COZI/LAFF combo here on the North Coast (Astoria) for a year or so until recently when they switched us back to KPTV/KPDX combo (720p). There was some issue with the fiber line, which they fixed recently. Many around here miss COZI and have complained to KPTV, but Corporate (Meredith) wants the KPTV/KPDX combo in the markets. I don’t see why Meredith could offer a couple more sub channels, as 2,8, and 10 have 4 channels each. I watch KPTV a lot, but little on KPDX. About the only program I watch on KPDX is their 8PM news. We sure miss COZI though.

jimbo
    Participant

<I had been told that the Cox Cable (dating myself) building near Vancouver Mall had been the original KPDX studio/transmitter site in the early 80s before they moved to NE Union, hence the large antenna tower in the cable company’s backyard. Any truth to that?>
    KPDX transmitter has always been in NW Portland just west of KPTV and KATU off Barnes Rd. Access driveway on Miller Rd. Early studio and Master Control were just off the Interstate Bridge in Vancouver just west of the Motel on the west side of I-5. I believe it was the Quay.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.