Is KOHI signal really back up to strength?

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio Is KOHI signal really back up to strength?

Tagged: 

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Shirley Knott
    Participant

Those darned ‘vandals’ will swipe anything, even a tower. Keep your eyes peeled, those things are hard to hide.

bossjock
    Participant

Didn’t a station in Salem have to string a longwire antenna a few years back because of a situation with its tower(s)?

Broadway
    Participant

KBZY did have a temporary site for a couple of years plus…never could find it…didn’t know if it was a long wire or a strip of tin on a telepole…coverage was poor but now their “unconventional” site is 5 telephone poles with long wires like an X between…decent coverage for their permanent site.

semoochie
    Participant

You have to file something with the FCC, if only just an STA, if you want to broadcast from something other than your licensed facility. I’m guessing that an STA is not enough.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I had thought that the station that used the temporary longwire antenna was in Bend, but my memory could be failing me. Nevertheless, the thought of a longwire transmitting antenna made me think, “welcome back to the 1920s!”

semoochie
    Participant

What is now KTTH(KXA)Seattle apparently used a longwire antenna atop a downtown building until 1995! I heard them when they were briefly Oldies, sometime in the 70s or 80s and they seemed to have good coverage of the metro area, not bad for 1KW!

Broadway
    Participant
    semoochie
    Participant

That looks like the building I saw. I didn’t realize that Rhodes had a Seattle location. We used to have one, caddy-corner northeast from the central library that became The Galeria. Before that, it was Olds & King and at some point, Olds, Wortman & King.

chessyduck
    Participant

I was in Woodland last Thursday night.. I could readily hear KOHI blasting away, It was certainly not the tiny 12 watt night signal…

semoochie
    Participant

Could someone please confirm whether or not the tower is still standing, please?

chessyduck
    Participant

I briefly visited the KOHI studios on Wednesday afternoon. The stained wood paneling is really cool looking… giving a true “radio station” look…

Seriously, the antenna remains as a horizontal longwire tied to a small mast attached to a transmiiter shack. This setup is across Pittsburg Road from their second-floor office/studios.

I honestly wish them well. I heard their noontime news cast… KOHI is a serious local-oriented station that sadly has become rare on today’s radio dial.. The owners just have to fix the RF side…

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.